Book a cab in advance or take airport taxi? Advice needed

Nylsor

We are flying from the UK into Miami International and need transport from the airport to our acommodation in Ft Lauderdale, from accommodation to Port Evergaldes and return 14 days later, and then from Ft Lauderdale to Miami International for our return flight to London Heathrow. I'm not sure what the Ft L area is called but the zip code is 33304.

We have received a quote for the following:

$125 for curb side pick up or $145 for meet and greet from Miami Int to hotel - this does not include a driver gratuity but both prices include airport charges, waiting up to 15 minutes and tolls. It does not include waiting or parking time past 15 minutes. (what happens if our flight is delayed?)

$30 each way from hotel to port and return from port to hotel

$105 from hotel to Miami International

Is this quote reasonable or expensive? Can you please recommend other companies? I was going to use SAS but understand from this board that they are no longer allowed to pick up from Miami to FL.

We do not want a limousine and don't mind sharing. Any advice would be appreciated.

My DH is against booking a cab in advance - he says we should just pick up a cab outside the terminal. Would there be any problems with this?

Last time we cruised, we had issues with our flight, and ended up flying into MIA instead of FLL as planned. As we were picking up our rental car in FLL, we ended up taking a cab between the 2. If I recall correctly, it was in the $70-75 range (evening, no traffic). So even if you allow a few bucks for more traffic, you're much better off just grabbing a cab at the airport.

Of course, you could be adventuresome and rent a car, which would be an even cheaper option.

From MIA to most FLL area hotels in a taxi is $90-100 or you can use SuperShuttle for shared van service for about $40-45 per person - so your quote is on the high end but not too far off base.

A cheaper alternative would be to rent a car from MIA and drop it at FLL - not sure you want to try that after such a long flight (plus adjusting to driving on the "correct" side of the road :rolleyes:).

Larry's Limos has been suggested on these boards for service to/from MIA - but I agree with your concern about waiting charges if your flight is delayed. :eek:

The FLL area is not that large and cabs are cheap - instead of pre-booking your car service I would just ask the front desk to call for a cab when you check out. There will be a line of cabs waiting at the port to take you back to your hotel after your cruise. ;)

Good luck! :)

Instead of flying into Miami why not fly into Ft Lauderdale where your ship is? It would save the problem of finding transportation between the 2 cities. Much easier.

Not too many flight from London UK into FLL :rolleyes: - MIA is the international hub there. But for just about everyone else, flying into where you are cruising from is good advice. :)

We are flying from the UK into Miami International and need transport from the airport to our acommodation in Ft Lauderdale, from accommodation to Port Evergaldes and return 14 days later, and then from Ft Lauderdale to Miami International for our return flight to London Heathrow. I'm not sure what the Ft L area is called but the zip code is 33304.

We have received a quote for the following:

$125 for curb side pick up or $145 for meet and greet from Miami Int to hotel - this does not include a driver gratuity but both prices include airport charges, waiting up to 15 minutes and tolls. It does not include waiting or parking time past 15 minutes. (what happens if our flight is delayed?)

$30 each way from hotel to port and return from port to hotel

$105 from hotel to Miami International

Is this quote reasonable or expensive? Can you please recommend other companies? I was going to use SAS but understand from this board that they are no longer allowed to pick up from Miami to FL.

We do not want a limousine and don't mind sharing. Any advice would be appreciated.

My DH is against booking a cab in advance - he says we should just pick up a cab outside the terminal. Would there be any problems with this?

If you don't mind shared rides then as soon as you exit the terminal at baggage claim there is a stand there for taxis or shared rides.. you can ask the guy there... as for your transportation from hotel to the ship take a cab .. for your ride back from the ship to MIA.. I would go with ridesas.com... 15pp to get you to MIA..;)

We booked a transfer MIA to a Fort Lauderdale hotel but said next time we'd just get a cab for the convenience of not having to hang around or make a phone call (but we were badly let down by the transfer company).

As it happens we're going to hire a car and drop off at FLL. Not really looking forward to the drive after the flight, but means we have much more flexibility for our 3 days pre-cruise.

Archived