Formal nights Caribbean - OK to wear black?

Nylsor

We are cruising to the Caribbean for the first time in three weeks - very excited - bags out - spare room draped with clothes (mostly mine). I have just realised that all my formal dresses are either black / beaded apart from one black lace top that I wear with slinky black palazzo pants. Will I look stupid in wearing dark dresses/top/pants on formal nights in the Caribbean? The dresses are all calf length - no long gowns. I really don't want to spend more money on clothes as I've spent quite a lot already but I don't want to look foolish either. My DH is wearing a tux. We like to 'dress up'. We will be on the Grand Princess, Caribbean Collection, 14 nights - 3 formal nights. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Colors are not really the issue - more the weight of the fabric. Personally, I think a velvet looks odd in the Caribbean no matter what the color. You will see tons of ladies in black because it seems to be the most popular color(and makes finding your photos harder). You can certain add pops of color in accessories if you want, but black is perfectly fine.

I have always worn black dresses on cruises, as well Caribbean as Med, because that's the only color dresses I can find over here (unless I spendhuge amounts of money. I'm still not willing to pay more for a dress than for a cruise)

Black is always in fashion! My formals are always black because I like to take only one pair of high heels - black ones!

I'm on the same itinerary as you - we sail on Jan 31st though. I'm bringing two black dresses (one has some white in it and the other has plum in it) for my formal nights.

I think you'll look fantastic in your black formal wear!

Colors are not really the issue - more the weight of the fabric. Personally, I think a velvet looks odd in the Caribbean no matter what the color. You will see tons of ladies in black because it seems to be the most popular color(and makes finding your photos harder). You can certain add pops of color in accessories if you want, but black is perfectly fine.

I would agree - thankfully no velvet - I've left my black velvet evening pants in the wardrobe (closet). Thanks to all of you who replied. I can relax now and enjoy my packing! Part of the pre-cruise excitement.

PrincessE - enjoy your cruise on the Grand!

I only have black semi and formal dresses. Being from New York originally, I wore mostly black. (Doesn't show the dirt).

Now I live in South Florida and still wear black on my Caribbean cruises. Black strappy sandals work nicely to lighten it up for the Caribbean. I like black and cream jackets to dress up a basic black dress as well.

You could add a printed clutch if you want to add a little punch.

Archived