Choice between two cruises - Northern Europe

schoolinmy3

I am looking at two different itineraries: 7 day Norwegian Fjords or 7 day Scandinavian Getaway. We are looking at combining a land tour with a cruise and we want to sail out of Rotterdam. Even though 2012 itineraries aren't released yet I wanted to start looking at our options. We will be traveling with my brother-in-law and his wife. They have never cruised before. Any opinions on which of the two would be more interesting? Thanks :)

Diane

I'll take both! :D As a matter of fact, I have taken both. I have been to Norway more times than I can count, and have a strong desire to go back. I have done the Baltic cruise twice---the last time as a back-to-back with a Norway cruise. I've never done them as 7-day cruises, though, and would feel I haven't gotten enough cruise for my travel if I were to do seven days.

The Baltic is port-intensive. It is go-go-go all day, every day. There is so much to see and do in every port that you don't want to waste a minute. It can be exhausting. You kind of need to force yourself to hold back a bit to find some time to relax.

Norway has some very interesting ports, combined with beautiful scenery while you are sailing. The history here isn't taught in school as much as the history in the Baltic countries, so it's a different learning experience. It's smaller cities and villages compared to national capitols and large cities.

You really can't go wrong with either choice. Have fun deciding!

The Norwegian fjords are spectacularly beautiful. Some are well populated, but are good examples of man living in harmony with nature. Not sure what the difference is in these two itineraries; but if one offers Geiranger fjord and the other doesn't, I'd opt for the one including it.

We chose to take the Norwegian Fjords cruise this summer thinking 7 days would be fine. You may want to check the roll calls to see what people have to say. You have plenty of time to plan for your 2012 vacation.

I'll take both! :D As a matter of fact, I have taken both. I have been to Norway more times than I can count, and have a strong desire to go back. I have done the Baltic cruise twice---the last time as a back-to-back with a Norway cruise. I've never done them as 7-day cruises, though, and would feel I haven't gotten enough cruise for my travel if I were to do seven days.

The Baltic is port-intensive. It is go-go-go all day, every day. There is so much to see and do in every port that you don't want to waste a minute. It can be exhausting. You kind of need to force yourself to hold back a bit to find some time to relax.

Norway has some very interesting ports, combined with beautiful scenery while you are sailing. The history here isn't taught in school as much as the history in the Baltic countries, so it's a different learning experience. It's smaller cities and villages compared to national capitols and large cities.

You really can't go wrong with either choice. Have fun deciding!

Ruth, I always find your comments so informative and balanced. You are such a great resource. The Baltic and Norway fjords are on my short list. Hope we meet again on some DAM ship.

Thank you for saying so, Jane. I would love to sail with you again some day. That was a fun time, wasn't it.

I hope you make that short list even shorter soon. Both are great itineraries, as I said. I guess I must love Norway as I keep going back. I love to be out on deck in all kinds of weather there, just drinking in the scenery.

Archived