17 Day Diet on Dr. Phil

swissmiss

Northshorecruisers - Those 2 people in your office should have read the book again! You don't eat eggs every day and you don't just eat raw vegetables in Cycle 1 !!

But anyway, sarapdot - you can do it! It's not as hard as it first seems.

kenorus - You can have fat free half & half in your coffee.

Did you calculate calories burned into that equation?

^^ Doesn't really matter with regard to the fact claimed. No matter what anyone tells you, 15 pounds lost in 2 weeks is not 15 pounds of fat. Many people have unrealistic expectations of fat loss.

In general rank newbies will get about 3% fat loss a month (4.5-8 lbs) without muscle loss, regardless of what diet plan they are following. So, any weight more than 3% is coming from muscle or water. This is one of the main reasons why it is a poor choice to use body weight as a measurement of how you are progressing.

Use body fat measurements or pictures or just plain ole how your clothes fit.

I just got back from a cruise on Sunday. I was in the last days of cycle 3 while on the ship. I had lost 10 pounds but gained 2 back while on the cruise. I'm actually pretty happy about it.

Monday (yesterday) I started back on cycle 1. I was down 1.6 lbs this morning. My goal weight is 110 and I have 20.2 pounds to go to reach it.

You will lose the most in cycle 1 and about half that much in cycle 2. Cycle 3 I had lost 2 pounds pre-cruise but gained it back during that 7 days. I was happy because I usually gain 5. I can't wait to get to cycle 2 because I really like the power cookies!:D

• 2 weeks later...

I have one I can send to you, as the one by the Dr. seems to be just selling stuff. I have one that is people who are actually on this and answers questions, has support as well as recipes. EMAIL me at terkatz at yahoo dot com and I will e mail the link to you.

Well, I think I'm going to start this on Monday. It's a little less than 6 months until my next cruise and I want to lose some weight by then. I just got the book in the mail yesterday ($13 on eBay). I'd never heard of this until last week. I had a video conference call with our other branch at work. A man I've worked with for years came on the screen and was SO much smaller. Everyone asked him and he said he'd lost 71 pounds so far on the 17 Day Diet. I went to the store and couldn't find the book and later found out you have to order it online. I read it last night and have been reading info about it online all morning. If you have questions, I suggest you go to YouTube and watch the 17 Day Diet videos. They tell you a lot and the doctor answers a lot of questions (even one about SF Jello). They have the exerpts from Dr. Phil and The Doctors, too. Anyway, I'm kind of psyched. Wish me luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Down 4 pounds and this plan is getting easier.

Congrats on your weight loss! Just wait until you get to cycle 2 and can have Dr Mikes Power cookie. The cookies are so good and filling. The last time I made them I made a double batch. I put them in individual baggies and then in a quart size zip lock and then in the freezer, pulling out one at a time as needed. Someone said theirs molded before they could eat them all. They are pretty moist and no preservatives. I used dried cranberries instead of cherries and love love them. We are leaving on a trip tomorrow morning and are taking them for breakfast. DH loves them too!

Thanks for the reply.

I was wondering if that cookie was any good. Now I will have to make it in 11 days. I looked at the recipe and all I need to find is Almond Paste & Flaxseed Oil. Not sure where Almond Paste is found in my stores.

The first 3 days were the hardest (major withdrawal) but now I am better at planning my meals.

Hi guys! I bought this book a couple months ago. I read it and was really excited to try it. I just haven't gotten around to buying the propery groceries to start the diet yet. I'm looking forward to starting it eventually though. Sounds like everyone is doing good. Keep up the good work. :)

Thanks for the reply.

I was wondering if that cookie was any good. Now I will have to make it in 11 days. I looked at the recipe and all I need to find is Almond Paste & Flaxseed Oil. Not sure where Almond Paste is found in my stores.

The first 3 days were the hardest (major withdrawal) but now I am better at planning my meals.

If you have a Health food store in your area they should have it. You can always order online too. Good Luck to you!

I found the almond paste at Target. It comes in a tube that is in a box. I don't remember what it was near...maybe nuts maybe spices.

The flax seed oil I found also at Target...but...probably not what I was supposed to get. I found a bottle of flaxseed oil capsules in the pharmacy area. I pierced enough of the capsules to get the proper amount of oil. When I go to Whole Foods next time I will look for it there.

4cats1house - I can never find the flaxseed oil so I just use reg oil. It's not that much so it's not that big a deal! The almond paste I found at Walmart Supercenter with the health food stuff.

I've been on this diet for a couple of months and down 19 lbs. 12 more to go. I have to admit the last few weeks I've just been watching what I eat but not following it 100%. So the weight is slowly coming off. Leaving for vacation next week so I will start it all over again when I get back. I've tried other diets and this one seems to work the best for me!

PS - the cookies are great! I don't get to freeze them my husband loves them and eats most of the batch I make! I'm lucky if I get 2 out of it!! But that's OK! I also use dried cranberries instead of cherries!

Good luck to you all!!

I am on the first phase of the 17 Day Diet.

I was wondering if there is a truly good

Balsamic Vinegar? I currently have a bottle of

Pompeian Balsamic Vinegar Pomeegranate infused;

which is enriched with antioxidants. According to the

book, you mix 1 TB Olive Oil with 2 TBS Balsamic Vinegar.

That was too acidic for me, so I cut it down to 1 TB of

Balsamic Vinegar; still too acidic, and I even add Mrs. Dash

Mediteranean seasoning to it.

The last time I went to the grocery store, I checked out other

brands of Balsamic Vinegar, but am wondering if they are all

pretty much the same? Would a more expensive brand be

better? Any suggestions?

The first time used the Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar dressing (according to the books measurements) it was way to much vinegar for me. After that I cut it down and seem to like even parts olive oil & vinegar. I just baught a store brand balsamic vinegar and it seems to taste fine when you get the right measurement.

FYI - after 9 days I am down 6 pounds :):D:eek:

Does anyone know where the message boards are for the 17 day diet? I know there are some out there.

There is one I have looked at and got recipes from....if you type in 17 day diet on Facebook it comes up. Hope it helps...or maybe just google:)

Cycle 1, Day 15 - Have been staying the same weight for the last several days. I have noticed that my body is not as “fluffy” in areas. Not sure how the weight loss will be on Cycle 2, but I will give it a try. I seem to eat the same things all the time – I need to expand my menu. Maybe try some new foods.