Planning a Day in Whittier/Anchorage

OnWeGo

My very first post on Cruise Critic! We will be ending our cruise in Whittier. The ship docks at 12:30 am with us disembarking in the morning. Is it possible for us to do some sort of day trip/sight seeing before we have to catch our flight in Anchorage (8:00-9:00 pm)? If so, what are our options? We are not sure if we will be able to extend our stay another day. Thanks!

My very first post on Cruise Critic! We will be ending our cruise in Whittier. The ship docks at 12:30 am with us disembarking in the morning. Is it possible for us to do some sort of day trip/sight seeing before we have to catch our flight in Anchorage (8:00-9:00 pm)? If so, what are our options? We are not sure if we will be able to extend our stay another day. Thanks!

With a rental car, you could visit the Alyeska Resort in nearby Girdwood and ride the tram to the top of the mountain. Buy a combo ticket and have lunch there too. There are fantastic views of Turnagain Arm there. Also close to Girdwood is the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center http://www.alaskawildlife.org If you want to travel to Anchorage, then you could see the excellent Alaska Native Heritage Center http://www.alaskanative.net Plan two hours for this. You won't go wrong with any of these three options.

We haven't been yet, but I can share with you what we have planned. It is not a recommendation since we have not been yet.

We are booked with Salmonberry Tours for a transfer tour from the ship that ends in Anchorage. It is a 6 hour tour that includes a stop at the Wildlife Conservation place, plus it includes lunch and a tramride up at Alyeska Resort in Girdwood.

Since our flight doesn't leave until later, we also booked a 2 hour tour of Anchorage with the same company. That one includes Hood Lake, Earthquake Park, Bootleggers Cove, the Chocolate Dwellers Lounge, and Wildberrys. We are thinking to end our tour at Wildberry's. Wildberry has secure luggage storage and an affordable shuttle to the airport. Someone suggested to us that we have supper next door at Sour Dough Mining Company. I've been told that Wildberry and Sour Dough are both tourist traps, but it beats waiting at the airport until late in the evening.

From what I understand, this is not a big motorcoach tour. I think it's a van...so a much smaller group.

Have fun planning your trip!

You don't say who "we" is but the more people in your group, the better per person price for the rental car (not cheap with the one-way fee).

And you don't say when you are going. September has a lot less daylight than June.

But even for the $250-$300 it will probably cost for a car rental, I would lean toward that option. Gives you LOTS more flexibility.

I would lean towards the car rental as well. You could do all of what is on the tour plus have the flexibility to stop anywhere you'd like. The drive from Whittier to Anchorage is one of the most scenic in the state.

You have such a limited time remaining after your cruise and a rental will allow you to maximize the time.

I would rent two cars, and get out the 9am tunnel. Several options, but stop where it interests you along the Arm. I would suggest you continue past Anchorage. IF McKinley is viewable, head to Talkeetna, stop at the Sled Dog Museum, Eklutna Spirit House tour, etc depending on intests. After lunch, head toward Hatcher Pass and Independence Mine, via Fishhook Rd. NOT Hatcher Pass in Willow. Early dinner, then head to the airport. you need to allow a two hour window at Anchorage airport.

Alternatively there is plenty to see and do in Anchorage as well. http://www.anchorage.net

Archived