Thomas Cook Foreign Exchange

Lvtocruize2

Has anyone used Thomas Cook Foreign Exchange which is an online site but has services in many countries? I've heard their rate of exchange is much better than most. I need to purchase at least several thousand euros for private tours in Rome and 2 extra days in Venice. Anyone use this web site?

Has anyone used Thomas Cook Foreign Exchange which is an online site but has services in many countries? I've heard their rate of exchange is much better than most. I need to purchase at least several thousand euros for private tours in Rome and 2 extra days in Venice. Anyone use this web site?

Are you planning on purchasing euros in the States and traveling with the money?

You may want to consider getting just a small amount of euros, enough for a taxi, a meal, small incidentals. Once in Rome and Venice, you can get a larger amount at an ATM. It would be much safer and you will pay less in fees.

If you do a search on these threads, there is a lot of information regarding this topic.

Consider asking your private tour operators whether they'll accept wire transfers. That way you'll need to exchange hundreds rather 1000s for personal consumption. Smaller amounts (200 to 300) are available from ATMs.

Thomas Cook has been around for decades and is quite reputable if that's your concern. But I agree with the others, just use an ATM when you're in town. The only issue with an ATM is that most banks have a daily limit of say $500 so you would need to check with your bank about raising the limit.

Regardless, be sure to tell your bank that you will be withdrawing or charging in Europe; otherwise they may suspect fraud and freeze your accounts. (Check out your bank's exchange fees for cash or credit.)

Just keep it under 10,000EU. Otherwise, you'll run into Customs issues on both sides of your trip (US & Italian). With some of the idiots working for the TSA, you could get hassled anyway, if they see a big wad of cash. Be sure to factor in at least an extra hour of time pre-flight departure just in case the Smurfs decide you are a "big catch" and turn you over to CBP for questioning. Just saying...

Your bank's atm limits are per day PER CARD. If you're traveling with a spouse you can each take out the daily limit. Check with your home bank to see if they have affinity agreements with overseas banks in the countries you'll be visiting. Many do. They waive the "out of network" fees on the withdrawals so you pay what you'd be paying if the atm were operated by your own bank. For instance, BofA has an agreement with Barclays in the UK.

Archived