The place to be at sailaway on Princess?

rnforcollegefees

We are first time cruising people with two teenagers, sailing on the Ruby in Feb. Just wondering if we should plan on sailaway from our balcony or if there is a wonderful place from which to see everything. I just keep seeing the Love Boat departing, with all the passengers popping champagne bottles and throwing confetti to the adoring left-behinds below. Kind of don't think that's the way it is....

I do miss those days when people were lined up at the pier to wave goodbye to us -- and we were throwing streamers off the ship.

As for champgane -- if you do order a bottle for your cabin -- that is a great place to enjoy it. We still like to do that. Port side is great as you go past the Condos and some of the people in them blow their horns and wave towels. The ships will even blow their whistles as you pass by them.

But if you like to be part of the party -- head up to the top deck for the ship's sailaway party.

We like the Sailaway party, too. Sometimes we'll start out at Outrigger's and the Terrace Pool which is all the way aft. We sometimes have have an informal Cruise Critic get together and then head over to Sailaway.

Since you are traveling with teens, the Sailaway Party would give them the opportunity to see/meet other teens on the cruise.

Enjoy your cruise!

We are first time cruising people with two teenagers, sailing on the Ruby in Feb. Just wondering if we should plan on sailaway from our balcony or if there is a wonderful place from which to see everything. I just keep seeing the Love Boat departing, with all the passengers popping champagne bottles and throwing confetti to the adoring left-behinds below. Kind of don't think that's the way it is....

You're sailing away with roughly 3,000 of your closest friends. :) Will they fit on your balcony? If not, then go upstairs and find some railing safely away from the speakers. I prefer to be a deck above the pool where the band plays.

In Florida the port side (I hope it's the port side, which ever side is left when facing forward) has the houses on it. There is a condo building too that usually flies the Princess flag. Stay long enough to see the water turn blue as you leave.

Save the balcony for afternoon naps or slow mornings.

But do not get conned into buying a drink in that commemorative glass that is aggressively peddled by the floating bartenders. Get your drink from the bar. If you have brought your own champagne, take a couple of plastic champagne glasses and take your drink to the deck. Glasses that are glass are not a good idea on the decks.

Definitely up top!! 1 deck above the pools, and find a railing to hang onto (cause you've had a 'couple') :) You can look down on the pool party, but also look out on the "view". Like others have said, don't buy the drinks their hustling... go to a bar (very close) and pick your favorite - then watch the show - it's the start of the best time of your life!!

Oh Yeah... get the teens an alcohol free smoothy - they'll love you for it!!

Enjoy!!

I plan on being on an upper deck on the port side so that our friends at home can see us waving goodbye via the 2 FLL webcams. http://mortgagemobile.com/Ft_Lauderdale_Florida_Web_Cam.html

http://southeastflorida.com/inletcam/

I watched my friend from Virginia last week as she sailed away. It was so awesome!

Wow thanks for the links! My next cruise is out of Vancouver but I'll send these to friends anyhow. Maybe next time they will join me!

Archived