Have you ever come across....

bixy

A waiter, cabin steward etc, claiming their wife is pregnant, and than people rushing out to buy them clothes and giving them more money in the tip, than what they orginally planned to give them. Feeling sorry for my guy I put in extra $$$, but this was over a year ago, but now the more people I talk to this seems to be common. Is this a way to get extra money???

Just weird or is it really happening?????

Oh it happens....not just on cruise ships, but land travel as well. I guess I've travelled too much, heard it all and desensitised to it now.

Did they say it to make you feel sorry for them, or did you just feel like you had to help out? As the saying goes....buyer beware!

In Bali, many still play on the post Bali bombing downturn.....kinda annoying especially taking advantage of to the unitiated. But reporting someone for making a statement I doubt constitutes reporting them to a supervisor. Just my opinion of course.

I am sorry to say that alot of them (waiters and cabin steward but not all of them) do play the feel sorry for me card.

Love Thied

Yes I did fall for it as he didn't approach us about it until about day 9 of the cruise and just happened to let it slip ??????:cool:, now after hearing from lots of others who have had it happened to them, it was well thought about and planned when he was going to slip it to us.

I give him an extra $20, as I had already planned what tips to give before hand and was sticking to it. I did over hear my hairdresser yesterday saying she just got back from a cruise 2 weeks ago and the same thing happen to her.

I just listened to what she said not wanting to tell her she had also been sucked in. SHe rushed off at the next port bought him $100 worth of baby girl clothes and tipped him $100, well no wonder they try it. He was so grateful she said and he had never had anyone do this for him before. Even if they get one person to bite at their story it is usually worth it.

We have not had that happen to us. We only found out if they had children if we asked them. In fact we couldn't fault our waiters or cabin stewards.

I think most of them are working on ships so that they can give their children a better life. They miss so much of their children's lives, which must be especially hard when they are newly born and changing so quickly.

Our last room steward didn't mention anything to us about children. We got to know her quite well. And upon returning she added most of our group to FB and then we saw when bday pictures went up.

I guess at the end of the day, many of the people on cruise ships (whether they actually have families, or not) come from much different backgrounds and in many cases I wouldnt be surprised that the majority of travellers/cruisers come from a much more comfortable background. At the end of the day, it doesnt hurt to be a little generous.

• 2 weeks later...

We only had one person pull this on us but i think she was genuine but then it is really hard to tell we did not give her extra money for it we just gave her what we was ment to but i can see how people get sucked in.

Archived