What size bottle of wine is allowed?

vtwgalmm

My husband thinks that he saw that Celebrity is now limiting the size of a bottle of wine to 750. Does anyone know if this is correct? I was planning on bringing the larger 1.5L bottle but don't want them to take it away. I hope this hasn't already been beaten to death. I looked 3 pages back and didn't see it covered. Of course I could have missed it. Thanks. :)

Here is a copy of a response I posted on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=26958473

I've never tried bringing boxes of wine nor large bottles on board. But I've read lots of postings on Cruise Critic by those who have. Based on that my casual observation is that in most cases these are allowed but there have been at least a few reports of them not allowing boxed wines nor large bottles if the total combined capacity is larger than 2 standard bottles of wine (750ML is a standard bottle so the max is 1.5L). So while you'll likely be OK you should be prepared for the possibility of these being disallowed.

The formal written information in the cruise documents is silent as to size of bottles and doesn't mention boxes at all.

My husband thinks that he saw that Celebrity is now limiting the size of a bottle of wine to 750. Does anyone know if this is correct? I was planning on bringing the larger 1.5L bottle but don't want them to take it away. I hope this hasn't already been beaten to death. I looked 3 pages back and didn't see it covered. Of course I could have missed it. Thanks. :)

I had the same question, so I emailed Celebrity Customer Service. The reply I received was the limit is 750 ml.

We plan on packing two bottles in checked luggage and each taking a bottle through sceurity as carryon. I can't imagine how they are going to be able to do a corrdinated accounting between the two, i.e. checked and carryon. Also, to eliminate cork screw issues we plan to take bottles with twist caps; real good stuff like Boone's Farm, Spanada, Irish Rose, LOL. Truly though, reports on cork screw availability in the cabins are quite varied, ranging from not available, or maybe the cabin steward will provide one, or plan on bringing one yourself. I'd take one with us but we only do carryon bags and the TSA people strongly frown on that and would probably take it away. I guess someone once tried to hijack a flight with a rabbit. I don't want to waste money buying one before we get to port just to throw it away when come back either. So, twist off tops it is for us. Plus with twist offs any unfinished bottles can be more easily stored either standing upright or on the side without having to have wine stoppers or forcing expanded corks back into the bottles.

Just as a humorous note. On one of our cruises back in 2001, pre current TSA regulations, we to took 8 bottles of premium wines in carryon all the way from home to Fort Lauderdale for consumption in the MDR. The folks at the security checkpoint really were put into a tizzy. They wanted to know what I was doing with 8 bottles of wine in my carryon. I jokingly told them I was a low volume distributor for expensive, rare wines (they weren't rare and wren't that expensive - just better than anything the cruise was serving up at 3 times thre price) and that I didn't trust the baggage handlers not to break or steal them. What a hoot. The baggage screener got a very perplexed look on her face and called the rest of the screeners over to have a look. After much head scratching and about a 10 minutepow-wow they finally signaled me through.

We only do carryon so now if I want to cart wine or hard liquor on board I just buy it in the home port before boarding. We also don't purchase booze on the cruise or in port stops for bringing home (aged rums are one of my weaknesses, darn) because it's not worth paying the extra checked bag fees for it.

We plan on packing two bottles in checked luggage and each taking a bottle through sceurity as carryon. I can't imagine how they are going to be able to do a corrdinated accounting between the two, i.e. checked and carryon...

Just as a humorous note. On one of our cruises back in 2001, pre current TSA regulations, we to took 8 bottles of premium wines in carryon all the way from home to Fort Lauderdale for consumption in the MDR. The folks at the security checkpoint really were put into a tizzy. They wanted to know what I was doing with 8 bottles of wine in my carryon. I jokingly told them I was a low volume distributor for expensive, rare wines (they weren't rare and wren't that expensive - just better than anything the cruise was serving up at 3 times thre price) and that I didn't trust the baggage handlers not to break or steal them. What a hoot. The baggage screener got a very perplexed look on her face and called the rest of the screeners over to have a look. After much head scratching and about a 10 minutepow-wow they finally signaled me through.

What a great idea! And a funny story! I can't believe you got away with it.

Anyone know how long Celebrity has allowed the 2 bottles? For some reason, I was either oblivious last time I cruised with them, or there has been a policy change. We recently went on HAL for the first time and I loved their more liberal BYOB policy. We still bought drinks at the pool and in the MDR, but it was awfully nice to have a little wine in our own cabin.

Thanks for all of your help. Seems like maybe you can and maybe you can't depending on who checks you in. Maybe we'll try one 1.5L and one 750ml. That way at least we would end up with one. Would be easier if they would just publish the amount and stick to it.

A friend of mine just returned from a cruise on Century. She packed a cardboard box with bottles of wine. I'm not sure how many but since it was a short cruise, I'm guessing that it was 4. She had no problems. The box was delivered to her cabin with her baggage. She has previously packed more than 4 bottles of wine in a cardboard box and did not have it confiscated. Of course, it would just be my luck that if I did this, mine would be confiscated! I also met a couple on Solstice last year who packed their two bottles of wine in their carryon and it was confiscated. They complained and were given two bottles of wine on the ship but never got their confiscated wine back. I think that it depends on the whims of the screeners.

• 3 weeks later...
So does anyone have a wine store they can recommend on route to the ship from the airport in San Juan? The best would be one of those giant discount ones.:D

I don't think they have those giant wine stores there, at least never heard of one. I've read recommendations for the Publix grocery store just off of the airport but we bought wine, nice quality Champagne, right at the store in the cruise terminal itself.

I don't think they have those giant wine stores there, at least never heard of one. I've read recommendations for the Publix grocery store just off of the airport but we bought wine, nice quality Champagne, right at the store in the cruise terminal itself.

Well - that would make it easy! How were the prices?

Well - that would make it easy! How were the prices?

Prices at the stores like Walgreens were on the high side. We didn't go to Publix. Prices at the store in the port terminal were great for some items and just OK for others as far as wines go.

Look through the scanned ad here for some prices (scroll down):

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/san-juan-cruise-pier-duty-free/

Archived