Guarantee Cabins all gone

shark5

So I check for price reductions every day on the TA site that I booked my trip on. I booked a AE (which is a mini-suite guarantee). Today I notice that the only minis that are being shown on the site are the AC and AB catagories.

Does that mean the all the other minis are sold?

I checked on my cruise personalizer and still have not been assigned a cabin.

Plenty of time. Cruise is at the end of March..

thanks

sharkman

There is absolutely no way to tell. It just means they are no longer selling guarantees in that/those certain categories. Even if all mini suite categories show no cabins or guarantees available, they will still have a mini suite for you when you board, even if not assigned before you leave. This happens all of the time.

I'm curious, if I have a guar inside and all the insides and obstructed and oceanviews are waitlisted, will they offer the balconey's to frequent cruisers that now have insides and give me their inside, or will I have a chance at a balconey?

I'm curious, if I have a guar inside and all the insides and obstructed and oceanviews are waitlisted, will they offer the balconey's to frequent cruisers that now have insides and give me their inside, or will I have a chance at a balconey?
Anything can happen but the only thing likely is that you will be assigned an inside cabin. The computer assigns cabins on the basis of the number of cabins available and the number of people who want that particular cabin category. I dont think frequent cruisers comes onto the equation. Otherwise, Platinum and Elite passengers would receive frequent upgrades, which doesn't happen.

TA's reserve blocks of cabins to resell to their customers. After final payment, they return unsold cabins to inventory. So, there might be waitlists now but that doesn't mean that the ship is sold out or that there won't be inside cabins available.

Thanks. I looked around at the 5 biggest TA's that I know about and right now they don't have any insides or oceanviews either. I know that can change as people cancel before final payment is due..and that's another 10 days or so. Just curious what they do do, if the insides are filled. I'm happy with any room in my category, but surprised at how long it's taking me to get a cabin..just because the last two bookings I got one really fast.

Anything can happen but the only thing likely is that you will be assigned an inside cabin. The computer assigns cabins on the basis of the number of cabins available and the number of people who want that particular cabin category. I dont think frequent cruisers comes onto the equation. Otherwise, Platinum and Elite passengers would receive frequent upgrades, which doesn't happen.

TA's reserve blocks of cabins to resell to their customers. After final payment, they return unsold cabins to inventory. So, there might be waitlists now but that doesn't mean that the ship is sold out or that there won't be inside cabins available.

DMRick-There are times when you will not know your cabin location until you actually check in for your cruise, it happens sometimes. One cruise your guarantee will be assigned right after booking, the next not until you reach the pier, it is just the luck of the guarantee draw. ;)

As for what they will assign you. Even if all categories are showing waitlisted, since it is before final payment, there will be lots of cancellations before the penalty kicks in (there always are). I would guess you will end up somewhere in the category you booked, as that is one reason the cabins are waitlisted, they have already set aside the number of cabins to fill the guarantees. But there is a slight chance you could receive an upgrade, but I would guess it may be to a higher category inside or possibly an obstructed view (the second guess is if you get real lucky). Best of luck, I hope you are assigned a good cabin location. ;)

Short answer, you booked an inside guarantee and that is what you will get. Anything beyond that is pure speculation.

As always, I book the lowest category that I am comfortable with and willing to pay for.

Yes, I do know (since all but one of my cruises have been guar), but since the last two were given so quick, I guess I got spoiled.

I'll be happy where ever we are placed (unless it's under a dance venue LOL), I was just wondering how they fill the empties..if they would rather move people up from the lower priced cabins to run with a full ship.

DMRick-There are times when you will not know your cabin location until you actually check in for your cruise, it happens sometimes. One cruise your guarantee will be assigned right after booking, the next not until you reach the pier, it is just the luck of the guarantee draw. ;)

As for what they will assign you. Even if all categories are showing waitlisted, since it is before final payment, there will be lots of cancellations before the penalty kicks in (there always are). I would guess you will end up somewhere in the category you booked, as that is one reason the cabins are waitlisted, they have already set aside the number of cabins to fill the guarantees. But there is a slight chance you could receive an upgrade, but I would guess it may be to a higher category inside or possibly an obstructed view (the second guess is if you get real lucky). Best of luck, I hope you are assigned a good cabin location. ;)

I don't think I indicated I expected anything but what I picked, did I? I just asked a simple question..why make it sound like I was expecting something else? Your answer actually had nothing to do with my question. Maybe you missed the part where I asked if there would be a chance at a higher up..never expected it..asked if there was a chance. It was answered by others...that yes there is always a chance. One can hope and not expect or be disappointed, can't they?

Like you, as always, I book the lowest category that I am comfortable with and willing to pay for

Short answer, you booked an inside guarantee and that is what you will get. Anything beyond that is pure speculation.

As always, I book the lowest category that I am comfortable with and willing to pay for.

I was just wondering how they fill the empties..if they would rather move people up from the lower priced cabins to run with a full ship.

That is a question most of us would like to have answered I think, but nobody knows. It changes with each sailing, there is never any rhyme or reason. :)

That is a question most of us would like to have answered I think, but nobody knows. It changes with each sailing, there is never any rhyme or reason. :)

Thanks..I guess even if someone kept a spreadsheet, we wouldn't be able to figure it out. :)

Any and all of the following are possible:

a) Someone with an inside cabin will be upgraded and you will be given that cabin. The cabin you are assigned could be an upgrade to a higher category inside than you have a gty for or could be the same category.

b) You could be assigned to an obstructed ocean view

c) You could be assigned to an ocean view

Less likely:

d) You could be assigned to a balcony or higher.

Just as a side, I am booked as a guarantee inside stateroom for Feb 6 and have not been assigned a room todate. This is our third cruise and each time I have requested an upgrade if available, no luck so far.:cool:
You may not know until you get to the pier. Also, remember that the default for ALL bookings is to accept an upgrade so you and 2,000+ passengers are hoping for the same thing.

Oh, OK. I thought most people who picked out their cabin picked it out for a reason and wanted the cabin they picked. I would be afraid I would end up way in the front if I wanted the middle etc. We don't usually care where we end up, which is why we picked a guar. We have been very lucky for our cabin assignments.

Once some of those 2,000 passengers get an upgrade, do they get to say no, if they get a lousy spot? Or, if they said they would accept an upgrade, are they stuck? I know with a guar, you have to leave that ticked.

You may not know until you get to the pier. Also, remember that the default for ALL bookings is to accept an upgrade so you and 2,000+ passengers are hoping for the same thing.

Once some of those 2,000 passengers get an upgrade, do they get to say no, if they get a lousy spot? Or, if they said they would accept an upgrade, are they stuck? I know with a guar, you have to leave that ticked.

a) If there is a more desireable cabin available in the cateogry you were assigned to, you can ask to be changed to that cabin.

b) You can asked to be put back into the gty pool with no assurance of a better located cabin later on.

Oh, OK. I thought most people who picked out their cabin picked it out for a reason and wanted the cabin they picked.
Most people don't even know that the default is that they could be given a different cabin or than such an option exists. They know only if their TA asks them if they don't want an upgrade. That's why I used the arbitrary number of 2,000 when all of the Grand-class ships carry between 2,700-3,100 passengers.

I'm missing something you are saying. I thought she meant that 2000 people picked out their rooms, but left it that they would want an upgrade. I didn't get the feeling she was talking about those with a guar cabin. I know those with a guar cabin need to leave it that they will take an upgrade, but I sure didn't think that many people took a guar. Most roll calls that I have been on over the years, most people talked about picking their room. So, those people, I wouldn't think would take a chance on their room being changed, even if it's considered an upgrade. I know if I picked a certain oceanview, where I wanted my room to be I would ask to not be upgraded.

a) If there is a more desireable cabin available in the cateogry you were assigned to, you can ask to be changed to that cabin.

b) You can asked to be put back into the gty pool with no assurance of a better located cabin later on.

No, I picked a number out of a hat with the 2,000. What I said is that the default for ALL bookings is that you would accept an upgrade. Doesn't matter whether it's a specific cabin selection or GTY; every booking starts out saying you would accept an upgrade. Let's say that in some of the bookings, passengers have had their TA change the default to "No upgrade"; that leaves the majority of the bookings with the default.

Of those who leave the default in place, most aren't even aware they can change the default. The vast majority of all passengers are never upgraded so they don't know the difference.

I would be pretty upset, if I picked my room, and found myself elsewhere, especially since most upgrades are just a bit higher on the ship..same type of room. You could end up where you really didn't want to be. I think the default ought to be the opposite. Hopefully many people have TA's who realize when their clients want to stay in the room they picked. Off course if they went from an inside to a suite, the people prob wouldn't mind LOL.

Of those who leave the default in place, most aren't even aware they can change the default. The vast majority of all passengers are never upgraded so they don't know the difference.

I would be pretty upset, if I picked my room, and found myself elsewhere, especially since most upgrades are just a bit higher on the ship..same type of room. You could end up where you really didn't want to be. I think the default ought to be the opposite. Hopefully many people have TA's who realize when their clients want to stay in the room they picked. Off course if they went from an inside to a suite, the people prob wouldn't mind LOL.
Yup. People do get upset and some post here on CC. But the vast majority never get a cabin change, even when they are hoping and praying they do.

That happened to me years ago. I was booked in an AD mini-suite next door to my sister and brother-in-law, and even though our bookings were linked together, I was "upgraded" to an AC on Dolphin deck at the very front of the ship. I couldn't have been moved further from them if I'd tried, plus I don't like uncovered balconies due to sun exposure. My TA got my cabin back. And that's what a good TA can do for you.

Archived