know of any ports that have absinthe?

gardn198

lol.. I was in paris and didn't try it, I heard it's legal in the US now, is that true? anyone know if they have this in either grand cayman, cozumel, belize, or roatan? also.. has anyone tried it? what does it do? i'm a totally non-druggie person at all but if it's just alcohol i'll try it!

Not only is it legal in the United States, but there are several manufacturers in California.

I have never looked for it in the Caribbean islands; at any liquor store I imagine it is a question of whether there is enough retail sales demand. In France, you need only try pastis, which is available at any bar, if you want the absinthe taste. Ouzo also has an anise-like flavor.

Bill

Yep you can get it in the US....They have a regulation though that one item is removed....Read the whole thing on Wiki and it has been legal here since 2007. It seems also that their are many myths about this beverage......

The " real" absinthe has wormwood in it. Wormwood has the TSC which is the same stuff in marijuana. Also the chemical they take out of it is Thujone You can order the real stuff from the "sebor absinth" site . It is the original and I would order it for delivery. . It tastes like Sambuka ( black licorice) and I think it is discussing.

I do not know what port sells it sorry.

My husband got real absinthe right here in VA at the ABC store. It is indeed disgusting and I found the whole making of it with sugar cubes to be a pain. I imagine it will be in our cabinet a long time before that stuff is finished off!

Oh and, there are several brands.....some are not real absinthe and they are quite a bit cheaper...the real stuff is pretty pricey and again, gross. I myself found one sip to be more than enough for a lifetime (I really don't like black licorice) but my husband has had plenty and I don't think there were any unusual side effects, just like normal alcohol.

I believe its THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), and if you are subject to drug testing at work...gov. employees, etc... Stay away from that product. Same for those looking for employment.

Just my 2 cents.

The " real" absinthe has wormwood in it. Wormwood has the TSC which is the same stuff in marijuana. Also the chemical they take out of it is Thujone You can order the real stuff from the "sebor absinth" site . It is the original and I would order it for delivery. . It tastes like Sambuka ( black licorice) and I think it is discussing.

I do not know what port sells it sorry.

lol.. I was in paris and didn't try it, I heard it's legal in the US now, is that true? anyone know if they have this in either grand cayman, cozumel, belize, or roatan? also.. has anyone tried it? what does it do? i'm a totally non-druggie person at all but if it's just alcohol i'll try it!

The best advice is don't try to bring it home.

The importation of absinthe is subject to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration regulations (21 C.F.R. 172.510 and the Department of the Treasury’s Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau regulations (27 C.F.R. Parts 13.51, 5.42(a), and 5.65. The absinthe content must be “thujone free” (that is, it must contain less than 100 parts per million of thujone); the term “absinthe” cannot be the brand name; the term “absinthe” cannot stand alone on the label; and the artwork and/or graphics cannot project images of hallucinogenic, psychotropic or mind-altering effects. Absinthe imported in violation of these regulations is subject to seizure.

http://cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/kbyg_regulations.ctt/kbyg_regulations.pdf (page 31)

The stuff that is legal in the states is not the same stuff you get in France, etc. No wormwood, tastes/acts very different on your system. Only place I have seen it in the Carib is St. Marten, but then again I wasn't really looking for it so you may be able to find it at the ports you are going to.

You can get it at the local liquor store in KS. Many different kinds. Not the same one you can get overseas. Lots of myths around this product. You place a sugar cube over a spoon with holes, pour the absinthe over the sugar cube which melts it and mixes it together. Tastes like black licorice. Def a drink to sip not guzzle.

You can buy Absinthe in the US with wormwood in it. There was a very recent change within the last two years. My Fiance is in the liquor Mgt and wine industry so I am sure about this.

After reading a previous Absinthe thread on here several months ago, I had him bring home a bottle. The smell alone will knock you out. I was actually afraid to try it. I have heard about people doing some very wicked things after drinking this stuff. This was the same stuff that Gerorge Smith was drinking when he suddenly disappeared from his Honeymoon cruise ship. One of the main side affects is memory loss. This is a powerful substance and I can see why it was outlawed in this country for so long. Not something to "party-with" IMHO

You can buy Absinthe in the US with wormwood in it. There was a very recent change within the last two years. My Fiance is in the liquor Mgt and wine industry so I am sure about this.

After reading a previous Absinthe thread on here several months ago, I had him bring home a bottle. The smell alone will knock you out. I was actually afraid to try it. I have heard about people doing some very wicked things after drinking this stuff.

They only did things that they wanted to do sober:). Not really sure who there is so much mystic around absinthe. It is ok, not great but decent. It's liquor. It doesn't get you stoned out of your mind or make you go crazy or anything. Have 5 absinthe's, you'll be acting about the same as if you had 5 SoCo's.

I believe its THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), and if you are subject to drug testing at work...gov. employees, etc... Stay away from that product. Same for those looking for employment.

Just my 2 cents.

I am sorry I was wrong on the initials. I know it may show in drug tests . I know someone who had the real stuff from overseas then there company got random tested and they passed the test. I am assuming if you drink alot of it that it will show.

Also the Absinthe that is in the US is not the same as the stuff overseas. Look at Wikipedia and you will see that and they explain it.

Here:

Why is absinthe now being sold in the United States?

As of October 2007, the TTB a bureau under the Department of the Treasury has updated policy regarding the use of the term "absinthe" on labels of distilled spirits products and in related advertising material. They have approved the use of the term "absinthe" on the label of a distilled spirits product and in related advertisements, and only if the product is "thujone-free" pursuant to the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) regulations.

Based on the updated policy, absinthe is considered "thujone-free" if it contains 10 ppm or less thujone.

If you are going to buy it outside the US, Caveat Emptor. If it doesn't pass muster on U.S. rules, it will be confiscated....

St Martin has it. Not the crap they sell in the US. Many bottles include a spoon etc.

well it sounds to me that it kinda tastes like jaegermeister with the anise black licorice flavor so i'll think i'll PASS for now.. i absolutely hate jaeger it is so disgusting and maybe i'll buy a shot of it in europe but i think buying the whole bottle of absinthe knowing i'll be too disgusted to ever finish it would be a waste of my money :-)

I got mine in St. Maarten. They had 120 and 150 proofs, I opted for the 120 and its still an a$$ kicker. I describe it to people as Jagermeister on steroids! :eek:

I'm not sure if mine is the real deal with the wormwood, but it will climb right on top of you. More so than other liquors in my cabinet, so maybe it does have that little bit extra. ;)

Archived