Is mexico safe

PAPERBKWRITER

Anyone who thinks it is safe in Mexico or that violence is confined only to border towns or bewteen bad guys better think again. Only a fraction of the violence even makes the news; it is not like any city in the US. You are at risk and it would not be wise to rationalize otherwise.

Please provide documentation for your statement. If anything, the Mexican newspapers over report the level of violence as they not only graphically describe the violent incidents but they also provide pictures. I can only speak to the violence in Mazatlan as this is the only city whose paper I read every day but I can unequivocally state that although there have been frequent shooting incidents, no cruise passenger has been a victim. The one foreign national who was wounded was on an extended vacation. The incident occurred in an area where a short term tourist would not go.

If you dispute my statements as you seem to imply you have access to all the violent acts not simply the fraction reported, presumably the fraction my statement is based on, please respond with documentation citing specific acts.

It is indisputable that there is a high level of murder mostly by shooting in Mazatlan. These violent acts are however highly targeted and predominately in areas tourists do not go to. Tourists are not targeted. Many have visited Mazatlan in the last six months and have had a trouble free enjoyable vacation. There are in fact many cities in the US that are as dangerous. For the sake of those in Mazatlan whose livelihood is dependent upon tourism, make your decision to visit based on the facts regarding the extent of violence, the areas where the violence occurs, the deployment of additional police and the volunteer tourist information officers. With the facts, you can determine if your comfort level will allow an enjoyable visit. I have spent many weeks in Mazatlan and am looking forward to returning as soon as I can find the time.

Really? This is just one incident. I wonder if anyone bother to ask if the passengers were from a cruise ship?

http://amerpundit.com/2011/02/21/at-least-12-taxi-drivers-murdered-during-weekend-violence-in-acapulco-mexico/

The link you furnished has been suspended. Do you have other information.

I hope everyone who cruises realizes that the media hype and inflammatory posts are not always true. When asked to support the statements with facts, answers are not usually forthcoming.

In reality, if a passenger of a cruise ship was involved in violence in Mexico, the US media would be all over it immediately. I have not seen any of that being reported in US papers, nor in the papers I can access from Mexico.

That many or most reports of criminal and/or terrorist activities don't see the light of day in the media is a given. Stand in front of a mirror and argue with yourselves about that. Crimes in Sacramento or Chicago or Los Angeles are irrelevant to people seeking information about their vacaton destinations - unless it's in those cities they plan to spend time. The situation - the criminal situation - in Mazatlan and the state of Sinaloa has been worsening for some time. The media has not over-hyped or exaggerated. If anything, the reports are lacking. One need not be killed or shot to be victimized. Many people are scared and even traumatized being in environments where gunfights break out nearby and dead bodies can be seen in the parking lot of their hotel - such as happened in Mazatlan this week. We have lots of choices where to vacation and spend our money and I doubt there's one person contrbuting to this forum who'd consciously make the choice to insert themselves into an environment that was violent or where there was a recent history of violence. I understand the 'chamber of commerce' types of statements that local residents of the port cities post - and admirers of those ports do as well - but I'll wager than 99% of travelers prefer the information as unbiased as can be reasonably expected so that they can make the decisions for themselves. And nobody should think that Mazatlan is alone in experiencing an elevated risk level. There's been carnage in Acapulco this past week, and month, that would cause me, if asked by friends, to suggest they avoid the city all together. And cruise ships are still calling at that port. Go figure.

There are risks wherever you go. As an individual you have to be aware of what they are and make a decision you feel is appropriate for your tolerance levels.

I have decided that we will continue with our trip in April and we'll enjoy our first visit to Mexico. We won't be wandering down ally ways or going into little know pubs/restaurants just to get a flavour for local ambiance. We'll stick to the tourist areas and enjoy the time we're there.

I may live to regret that choice but I suspect I won't. There are thousands upon thousands of visitors to Mexico every month, the amount of crime that is reported is relatively low.

My son is going on a school trip into the Sea of Cortez, via La Paz, in 2 days, the risks are low, the school has done a risk analysis that I have read and I honestly feel safe sending him.

If the cruise line decides it is not safe to stop, they'll move along.

In a post on Oct 12, 2010 gomexico said

If you're really interested in the issue of crime and the incidents that have been or are taking place then invest the time to read the information yourself. It's all out there for you to find. Don't be lazy or lob attacks at the 'messengers.'

In his post today he said

That many or most reports of criminal and/or terrorist activities don't see the light of day in the media is a given.

What has changed between October and today regarding the media coverage and if it has changed, where does gomexico get his information to support his outrageous statements.

On October 12 gomexico posted

It's all timing, bad timing. And the ever expaning reign of terror is unpredictable. People who are obviously foreigners have been targeted, have been killed and otherwise victimized.

It could not in October and I doubt he can now document his assertion that foreigners have been targeted in Mazatlan. If I am wrong, show me the source! Gee, I forgot the reports do not see the light of day but gomexico can channel the information from an unkown source.

I understand the 'chamber of commerce' types of statements that local residents of the port cities post - and admirers of those ports do as well - but I'll wager than 99% of travelers prefer the information as unbiased as can be reasonably expected so that they can make the decisions for themselves.

As I have posted that Mazatlan is one of my favorite places and my post was two before gomexico posted I can only assume that he is referring to me as one of the admirers of the port who are clearly biased.

Rather than providing facts to refute those posters who disagree with him, gomexico tries to discredit the validity of their view by impugning their motives and claiming that he has information that is not available to them (see abover). Shades of Joe McCarthy.

I do not know what gomexico's motive is but his blatant disregard of the facts and outrageous statements that appear in his post show it is not to provide people the information needed to make an informed decision regarding whether to visit Mazatlan.

• 3 months later...

Archived