Is mexico safe

PAPERBKWRITER

I too feel sorry for the good people of Mexico. Back in the late 80s and early 90s, I spent a lot of time in Acapulco, Playa del Carmen and Mexico City. Made some very good friends there who used to visit us in Canada. Then things started to change. Our friends warned us against spending time in many of the areas we used to rent in, and we gradually started to reduce our trips and scope of travel there. I guess we were spoiled because we took our wonderful trips there for granted for so long. Now, our mexican friends visit us in Toronto or Tampa, but we rarely go to Mexico anymore.

I totally agree with you. Mexico is a beautiful Country. Overall, their citizens are friendly and cool to hang with. And the food in central Mexico is not too shabby either.

I miss going down there are visiting with my old friends. Fortunately, several have moved to the US and Canada (legally). Therefore, I still get to see some of them from time to time.

Does it matter? It shows a total disregard for authority and the public safety. Tomorrow it could easily be tourists, but I still care about the local people being killed. By pushing these types of episodes aside are we really doing a service to the poor Mexican people who want a better way of life? Only when the Mexican authorities get pressure from foreign tourists will they step up to the plate and do more to protect their own communities.

Yes I think that matters, since this boards is for tourists on a cruiseship visiting Mexico. Tourists arenot involved in the drugsbusiness, so their risk is far less. If it shouldnot matter then some cities in USA, Canada and Europe should be declared unsafe for people to visit considering the drugskillings, gangwars etc. even when no tourists are involved.

Mexican authorities are fighting the druglords, (and yes they fight back) but the biggest demand for drugs isnot in Mexico, so donot put all the blame on the mexicans.

I am glad to read in another posting ships are returning to Mazatlan.

Hi Tigerlilly:

Our cruise on the Sapphire was just fabulous. We were on the same cruise, same ship last January and I think that perhaps they have a new chef because the food has improved dramatically. We had some meals that were among the best I have ever had:

Try the Orange Roughy if you are into fish, all the steak dinners were excellent, the buffet offered a good selection of foods and everything was delicious.

But, above all the desserts were the best!

Even the coffee (while still not as strong as I would have liked) has improved.

All the staff were great, service was excellent and the last minute organization due to the change in port from Mazatlan to Ensenada was as smooth as the seas were.

I'll post a review shortly.

Have a great time!

Yes I think that matters, since this boards is for tourists on a cruiseship visiting Mexico. Tourists arenot involved in the drugsbusiness, so their risk is far less. If it shouldnot matter then some cities in USA, Canada and Europe should be declared unsafe for people to visit considering the drugskillings, gangwars etc. even when no tourists are involved.

Mexican authorities are fighting the druglords, (and yes they fight back) but the biggest demand for drugs isnot in Mexico, so donot put all the blame on the mexicans.

Actually, Miami was deemed unsafe for tourists in the mid 90s or so. Tourists were targeted because they were driving rental cars. They would get robbed of their possessions and then murdered. The State of Florida then passed a law where the tags on the rental cars would no longer read rental.

In the 80s, tourists were told not to go out walking at night in NYC in order to prevent from getting mugged and/or murdered.

I put the blame where it belongs -- on the authorities who do not do enough to generate positive change. As we have seen in cities around the world, when the media reports on crime and killings in a city/island and it costs them tourist dollars, they eventually do something to improve things for all people -- tourists and locals.

I totally agree with you. Mexico is a beautiful Country. Overall, their citizens are friendly and cool to hang with. And the food in central Mexico is not too shabby either.

I miss going down there are visiting with my old friends. Fortunately, several have moved to the US and Canada (legally). Therefore, I still get to see some of them from time to time.

One of our good Mexican friends has also moved north and we enjoy getting together to experience each others cultures.

I hope the Mexican authorities figure out a way to do a better job of dealing with their violence and crime because I would like to start visiting again and feel safe doing it.

I have been watching all of the treads where people write asking if "Mexico safe" and really wonder why everyone is so worried. I have lived all over the world (my husband is retired military) and never have I once felt "unsafe". And believe me some of the places we were stationed were pretty rough, both overseas and in the continental United States.

Everyone just needs to remember that where ever you go - there is going to be places where a person does not travel to. I live in a city that once had the nickname of "Murderopolis". People still do not go into certain areas for fear of getting caught in the middle of a gang fight.

All you have to do is remember to be watchful and be sure you don't stray into the areas that are not the best for tourist. All it takes is a little bit of common sense and the knowledge of how to exercise it.

Enjoy your vacations.

The simple reason people ask about safety in destinations they've never been to before is - because they've never been there before. It's not like moving about the cities where we live when we know there are certain areas to avoid. Tourists, visitors from other countries will not have that knowledge. You may have lived in war or conflict zones and had the benefit of military protection and advice. There's a war and terrorism underway in Mexico - this isn't a situation of petty street crime. It's like nothing you'll see or experience at home in the same way it's occuring in Mexico. You're comparing apples to oranges, IMO.

The simple reason people ask about safety in destinations they've never been to before is - because they've never been there before. It's not like moving about the cities where we live when we know there are certain areas to avoid. Tourists, visitors from other countries will not have that knowledge. You may have lived in war or conflict zones and had the benefit of military protection and advice. There's a war and terrorism underway in Mexico - this isn't a situation of petty street crime. It's like nothing you'll see or experience at home in the same way it's occuring in Mexico. You're comparing apples to oranges, IMO.

Nicely put -- and I completely agree.

We are traveling the Mexican Riveria in April...with stops in PV, Mazatlan and Cabo....aboard Carnival......this will be our third cruise to Mexico and loved all the ports before.....especially Mazatlan riding with Randi's Happy Horses. Have booked again for this trip...with hopes Carnival doesn't skip this port and take us to Manzanillo instead...didn't care much for this port on a previous cruise. Was just sent this email regarding another tourist killed...this time in Cozumel.......thought I'd share:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/02/07/cruise-ship-crew-member-dead-cozumel/?cmpid=cmty_email_Gigya_Cruise_Ship_Musician_Found_Dead_in_Cozumel

Since this is a forum about cruising Mexico, can you give us the statistics showing how many cruise passengers have been victims of violent crime in Mexico. Please be specific.

Since this is a forum about cruising Mexico, can you give us the statistics showing how many cruise passengers have been victims of violent crime in Mexico. Please be specific.

The stats should be zero, unless people continue to ignore the warnings. Just because it has not happened yet, does not mean it will not happen. The 14 y/o cruise passenger that died in St. Thomas was a victim of cross fire.

Retaliation shootings occur in Acapulco almost on a daily basis, even on plain day light at the Costera where innocent bystanders (including children) have died from crossfire.

The U.S. State Dept.'s Travel Warning section has many factual write ups on various countries. The write ups are objective, based on the first hand reports of people who have served in US Embassies and Consulates.

Before we travel, we read objective reports to understand the realities of travel destinations. We certainly do the same for travel in our own country-the U.S.

The stats should be zero, unless people continue to ignore the warnings. Just because it has not happened yet, does not mean it will not happen. The 14 y/o cruise passenger that died in St. Thomas was a victim of cross fire.

Retaliation shootings occur in Acapulco almost on a daily basis, even on plain day light at the Costera where innocent bystanders (including children) have died from crossfire.

Are the stats zero ?? I am asking about the Mexican Riviera. St Thomas is not part of the Mexican Riviera.

Same as the post about Cozumel ....and for that one I have read talk that it was someone she knew. Not saying that is true but no one should think because it happened in Mexico a Mexcian did it.

As most of us state over and over again, if you keep your wits aout you (as you would anywhere) then Mex Riv makes for a lovely cruise with great port stops.

Though the title of the discussion thread poses the question generally and recognizing that many of us could provide page-long daly listings of criminal activities, deaths due to the war, terrorism or other events in Mexico - some of which involve harm to tourists - I do think there's validity in comments that the focus of the discussion should not be on 'crime in Mexico' generally - the nation as a whole - but as it affects the Mexican Riviera. I'll admit that there are some connections between war events in one part of the country with another part - but oftentimes that's a long stretch. That's my 2 cents worth. Thanks.

The alarmist paranoia of some of these posts makes me sad. One must not go through life fearing death. The odds are so much in your favor. The simple fact of the matter is that sadly we are surrounded by violence in our everyday lives no matter where you live, whether you choose to see it or not, yet we are all still living and breathing. I am not in denial about this as my live has be touched by violence in the past. I live in Sacramento and this is on the front page of the Sacramento Bee, today Feb. 14.....

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/02/14/3400426/teens-shooting-leaves-3-bodies.html

Am I afraid to leave my house? No. Am I afraid to visit Mexico? No. In fact we leave for our 7th trip there Saturday on the Oosterdam. Will I knowingly put myself in danger? No. Will I live my life in fear? No.

I suppose it all boils down to the amount of risk one is willing to take in ones life. I like to make my own decisions and not have them made for me, nor do I look for or need validation of my opinions from others, which I think this thread has turned into. My advice to the OP, live your life to the fullest! Go to Mexico, enjoy Mexico! I know I will. Respect to you all...

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone who thinks it is safe in Mexico or that violence is confined only to border towns or bewteen bad guys better think again. Only a fraction of the violence even makes the news; it is not like any city in the US. You are at risk and it would not be wise to rationalize otherwise.

Anyone who thinks it is safe in Mexico or that violence is confined only to border towns or bewteen bad guys better think again. Only a fraction of the violence even makes the news; it is not like any city in the US. You are at risk and it would not be wise to rationalize otherwise.

Violent crime against cruise passengers would be well documented in the media as well as on these boards, and we see hardly any true accounts of violence involving cruise passengers.

If you are afraid, don't go there. The same holds true for anywhere in the world.

Violent crime against cruise passengers would be well documented in the media as well as on these boards, and we see hardly any true accounts of violence involving cruise passengers.

If you are afraid, don't go there. The same holds true for anywhere in the world.

Really? This is just one incident. I wonder if anyone bother to ask if the passengers were from a cruise ship?

http://amerpundit.com/2011/02/21/at-least-12-taxi-drivers-murdered-during-weekend-violence-in-acapulco-mexico/

Archived