Absolute must haves to pack...

luv2cruz62

[quote name='gooch47']Couldn't you get a tray from room service? Or just fail to return one? :o[/quote]

The room service trays are large and heavy, not practical for the buffet.

I've never had a need for a tray. But I don't mind walking back after I eat a course, to get the next course, leaving a book or full cup/glass there.
I choose my place to sit first and put either a book or some other item there. Even a cup of coffee has worked as a place saver. Then I get my food. I've only had a problem once doing this. One passenger moved my book away from a window seat, but at least it still reserved a seat.

We like to bring those space saver bags where you squeeze out the air. We use them upon return for dirty or used clothing when it doesn't matter about wrinkling. They open up a lot of space for the extra purchases or whatever else one brings home.
And I know, the effete posters will say "Why bother? Just buy an extra suitcase on the ship and put your souveniers there." But every dollar counts with us.

[quote name='BIG_Steve']If there is an overweight middle aged guy in your group, make sure he brings Speedos.

If he has thick gray chest hair, tell him not to forget ten pounds of gold necklaces to wear.

:eek: :D[/quote]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=darkorchid]ROFLMAO!!!:D:D:D:p[/COLOR][/SIZE]

An extension cord is important if you have a CPAP user in your cabin. Don't depend on the ship having any - although you can ask at Reception.

A power strip is also a must, along with an over-the-door shoe organizer. I also bring an insulated coffee mug and several individual packages of Crystal Light or a similiar beverage mix. How about a white boa for the White Hot Party?

[quote name='terrymtex01']OP.. my standard tips for packing are:

Pack a small flashlight in case the ship loses power, take over-the-counter meds with you and just take them in the bubble pack, leave the box at home, and cross pack if you are traveling with someone. The cross packing is wonderful if one of your pieces of luggage gets lost at least you will both have clothes to wear. Also cross pack your personal items...ie razors, etc. Finally it is a nice touch to pack a few thank you cards. I usually try to remember to pack some to use when giving extra tips to crew members. I just write a note saying "Thanks for helping make our vacation so special".[/quote]

couldn't have said it better. cross packing is the best way to go. Also pack the things you will need for the day in your carry on bag you never know how long you will have to wait for your bags to get to your cabin. Pack as light as possible, question every item as to whether you really need it.

[quote name='canpass']couldn't have said it better. cross packing is the best way to go. Also pack the things you will need for the day in your carry on bag you never know how long you will have to wait for your bags to get to your cabin. Pack as light as possible, question every item as to whether you really need it.[/QUOTE]

Never gave cross packing much thought until we went to Alaska last year. Then I split up the warm and waterproof clothes so we'd have something warm if a suitcase went to Honolulu instead of Seattle. Will do that all the time now.

• 10 months later...
my DH always used to laugh at me for packing a flashlight...until the Costa Concordia...Now WHO's laughing...
I think I'll start packing a smalll one [key chain] size on my lanyard...or "camera bag" that I carry with me all over the ship...so I'll have one no matter where I might be. Some of those who died might have lived if they could see to find their way above deck...

cabins does not have many outlets. 3 i believe..I had to find out the hard way..i NEEDED an extention cord/power strip... my camera, cell phone (plays my music), curling iron, mia 2 all need to be charged.

especially if you are sharing a cabin. There are NOT any outlets in the bath. Well at least not on the pearl.

My husband and I tend to cross pack in case one of our pieces of luggage doesn't arrive by dinner or gets lost altogether, at least then we both have clothes and necessary items.

We also take copies of our Rx meds in case we lose ours, either to the TSA agents or to other reasons.

You and your partner don't need to pack separate first aid or toiletry kits. Pack one with items you both agree you need.

One item we always take is a couple of instant ice packs usually available at Target or KMart. They don't become cold until you need them. Always great if you have an adventurous day and need a cold pack. Also, pack some Capsacin (sp?) or BenGay for sore muscles that a hot tub just isn't going to take care of on its own.

Good luck and have a great time!

Archived