Absolute must haves to pack...

luv2cruz62

If you are going to the MEXICAN RIVIERA IT IS COLD till you reach Puerto Vallarta

You will need hoodies and jogging suits It is not BATHING SUIT weather and we went in MARCH . It was VERY NIPPY You will need lots of long sleeves and warm pants .We went down that coast in summer too ...quite cool also

BE PREPARED

I brought gloves and earmuffs ...that cold ..between 45 -60 degrees in the sun

If you are in to sunbathing, I would pack a swimsuit in your purse or carry on for that first day of embarkation. You will arrive on the ship and your luggage will be taken from you when you check in. You won't see your luggage again until you get in your room at 2pm or even later depending on when the porters get your luggage to your room. If you have your swimsuit with you, you can change in the restroom and enjoy that first day in the sun.

You might also consider bringing a tray or some sort or cookie sheet. This is because NCL has removed all trays from the buffet lines. If you are traveling with children or someone elderly who might not be able to manage their plate, drink and all that a tray is almost a necessity. Especially since sometimes you have to spend several minutes and lots of walking trying to find an open table for your family.

I always bring one of those cheap booklights, that way I can read at night and it also doubles as a flashlight. I also bring a hat. At the end of the day I can throw all my stuff in the hat and find everything the next day.

I'm flabbergasted, this thread can't be serious, people discussing what to take with them on a cruise! What's next: does the crew sleep on board or not, and if so do we have to take with us lullaby songtexts?

Some of the best tips I've ever received have come from threads like this, even if a lot of it is redundant.

Me, I've never needed a power strip. But I learned on this board very early to bring a highlighter for the Dailies and post-it notes to communicate with the cabin steward. There are some things about cruising that are different from other travel and this is where we share those things.

...definitely an extension cord and cube tap. (Though we did ask our butler for one and he brought it to us.)

...a partially used roll of plastic wrap. (C'mon, the dinky plastic wrap the ships use isn't very practical.) Actually, I take just the (mostly empty) roll, WITHOUT the cardboard box. You DO carry a small pair of scissors with you, don't you?

BTW, if you forget and/or run out of reading material, all ships have a library.

;)

...definitely an extension cord and cube tap. (Though we did ask our butler for one and he brought it to us.)

...a partially used roll of plastic wrap. (C'mon, the dinky plastic wrap the ships use isn't very practical.) Actually, I take just the (mostly empty) roll, WITHOUT the cardboard box. You DO carry a small pair of scissors with you, don't you?

BTW, if you forget and/or run out of reading material, all ships have a library.

;)

What are you using plastic wrap for and what is cube tape?:confused:

Three things I always take with me:

1) my oversized travel mug -- it holds 2 full cups of coffee.

2) a travel sized spray bottle of Lysol...the first thing I do when I get in my cabin is spray the remote control and all the door/drawer handles.

3) My excitement that I am ON A CRUISE!! :):)

TracyE

Power Strip ( A small one, we used one like the image below, but found that it did not accommodate our camera battery charger as the outlet was place so close to the desk.)

Post-it note pad for messages to the cabin steward and each other.

My own soda and bottled water to have in our cabin.

Highlighter marker for the Dailies

A camera! Don't forget it! :D

directron_2143_2916986301

Definately Woolite! After several days of swimming suits being exposed to salt water and drying overnight, you MUST wash them out in your cabin sink! If you don't the entire cabin begins to smell funky and the suits get stiff. Even with a balcony to keep open a room freshner is always a good idea too!

• 1 month later...
If anyone in your traveling group is prone to mouth sores (aka oral sores or canker sores), take dental wax to prevent the teeth from aggravating the sore. This literally ruined my cruise eating experience in 2009.

[quote name='GreySkies']If anyone in your traveling group is prone to mouth sores (aka oral sores or canker sores), take dental wax to prevent the teeth from aggravating the sore. This literally ruined my cruise eating experience in 2009.[/QUOTE]

Eat lemons or suck on grapefruit ..it does help /I get those from LACK of vitamin C
Also sometimes from not so clean silverware ...Wipe it Always before use

[quote name='Mooder']Some of the best tips I've ever received have come from threads like this, even if a lot of it is redundant.

Me, I've never needed a power strip. But I learned on this board very early to bring a highlighter for the Dailies and post-it notes to communicate with the cabin steward. There are some things about cruising that are different from other travel and this is where we share those things.[/quote]
Good answer! Some people are a bit grumpy when they are on CC so your answer was very nice, considering the posters crankiness! I find the information on CC is invaluable, especially to a newbie!

I also bring along a highlighter and post-it notes! Also, small binoculars, single dollar bills for tipping, first aid kit, ginger candy, stomach medicine, night light for bathroom, copy of your passport to carry with you (keep passport in safe). I pack using gallon zipper bags for things like undies, toiletries. Stuff the bag, squish out all the air and zip it up! The bags lay flat and take up less room. When I unpack, I keep the things in their bags...makes it easier to find what I am looking for. Cross packing is a must! Our luggage was lost on the ship for several hours last cruise so I was frantic (I had not cross packed!). Thankfully my husband found our suitcases in another hallway in front of a cabin that was not even close to our cabin number! I will ALWAYS cross pack now!:D

I hope the OP will read thru the many threads about packing on CC and not be put off by some crankies one may encounter!:D

[quote name='raventhebouv']Good answer! Some people are a bit grumpy when they are on CC so your answer was very nice, considering the posters crankiness! I find the information on CC is invaluable, especially to a newbie!

I also bring along a highlighter and post-it notes! Also, small binoculars, single dollar bills for tipping, first aid kit, ginger candy, stomach medicine, night light for bathroom, copy of your passport to carry with you (keep passport in safe). I pack using gallon zipper bags for things like undies, toiletries. Stuff the bag, squish out all the air and zip it up! The bags lay flat and take up less room. When I unpack, I keep the things in their bags...makes it easier to find what I am looking for. Cross packing is a must! Our luggage was lost on the ship for several hours last cruise so I was frantic (I had not cross packed!). Thankfully my husband found our suitcases in another hallway in front of a cabin that was not even close to our cabin number! I will ALWAYS cross pack now!:D

I hope the OP will read thru the many threads about packing on CC and not be put off by some crankies one may encounter!:D[/quote]

Thanks for all the ideas! I will put to use the ones that are important to me!
and I agree also......the crankies.......boy there are are alot of them on these boards!! For goodness sake people....your going on VACATION! ;)
I am going with an open mind and I AM going to have a fabulous time!!! 10 more sleeps and counting!!!

The reason I bring a roll of plastic wrap is to wrap up left-overs or treats to put in the cabin fridge. (Partially-used; it's smaller. And NOT in the box. I'm sure you carry a pair of small scissors so you can cut the wrap.) ;)

[quote name='luv2cruz62']:DLeaving on March 19 to Mexico. Would like to get ideas as to what to pack for a must have list! Already have disinfecting wipes and my coffee mix! Any other ideas![/QUOTE]

There are about 10,000 lists of absolutes on CC. They are all total trash. Make a list of what you think you need, ignore everyone else's ideas, and you will be OK. If you bring all the stuff that is on the lists, your suitcases will be so heavy that the plane will not be able to take off and the ship will sink.

DON

Archived