Live from Brilliance of the Seas, Arabian Gulf

We've just arrived in Dubai to cruise on Brilliance of the Seas around the Persian Gulf and will chronicle the trip on our blog (http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/blog). We'll report on our time onboard as well as in exotic ports like Muscat, Abu Dhabi and Fujairah. They're all cool places (well, not literally! as temps are soaring) so check out this interesting winter alternative to the Caribbean or Canaries.

And in case you are wondering, this part of the world is far removed from Egypt and Tunisia so there's no uprising here.

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Blog: http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/blog

Be sure to share the tour name for any you take...we are still deciding on what tours we will take in a week.

I know right now we are so glad we changed our flights in this coming weekend to avoid LHR and Cairo which was the original route...Hope the unrest stays in Egypt and Yemen only and does not spread into anywhere the ship is headed.

One other specific tid bit I'd be interested in knowing, what time can you really get on the ship...and how long did it take to get processed in. First and foremost we need to finish planning Monday morning for ourselves. I suppose you will not know about that for another 12 hours or so.

Glad to see someone posting from BOTS right before we head over.

Thought of another request if you can pull it off...if you are in CL probably the Concierge can easily answer this one...

Expected number of Diamond or above pax on the 7 Feb sailing....or maybe you can share where the Diamond nightly event is held....

Dave, the nightly Diamond event was held in the Hollywood Odyssey before the list on my cruise (when the whole upper deck area was wrecked); then it moved to the Colony Club. I imagine the Odyssey is open yet again.;)

My guess is it could be different out of Dubai...lots of first time cruisers I expect based on some of the news I saw about where the Dubai cruise is most heavily marketed. I think we are at 9 or 11 signed up for the M&M and we are only a week out...:eek: In the Med I'd expect a lot more higher level cruisers.

I am wondering if this will be like Enchantment out of Colon where there were 5 Diamond level cruisers, one couple and my family...

That said Hollywood Odyssey sounds like it would be a great lounge for such an event.

We were B2B 12/29/10 and 1/10/11. The first cruise the DL was in Hollywood Odyssey with a max of 12-15 people at any one time. (We were told there were only about 50 D on his cruise.) The second cruise (repositioning), it was in the Starquest with 200-250 D. The Concierge Lounge was held in the Hollywood Odyssey for the repo cruise, not sure where the CL was on the first cruise.

We were B2B 12/29/10 and 1/10/11. The first cruise the DL was in Hollywood Odyssey with a max of 12-15 people at any one time. (We were told there were only about 50 D on his cruise.) The second cruise (repositioning), it was in the Starquest with 200-250 D. The Concierge Lounge was held in the Hollywood Odyssey for the repo cruise, not sure where the CL was on the first cruise.

Amazing on repo cruises and Diamond in December cruises how the count of D and D+ explode. Ok maybe bad choice of words for that part of the world...

We've just arrived in Dubai to cruise on Brilliance of the Seas around the Persian Gulf and will chronicle the trip on our blog (www.cruisecritic.co.uk/blog). We'll report on our time onboard as well as in exotic ports like Muscat, Abu Dhabi and Fujairah. They're all cool places (well, not literally! as temps are soaring) so check out this interesting winter alternative to the Caribbean or Canaries.

And in case you are wondering, this part of the world is far removed from Egypt and Tunisia so there's no uprising here.

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Blog: www.cruisecritic.co.uk/blog

CSB, if you are one of the late departures from the ship on Monday, perhaps we will get to meet....Look for 3 Texans...

Enjoying the blog...ready to fly now.

Dave

Hope you have a good time. We are on the 21st Feb sailing cannot wait!!!!!

Jeanette

Jeanette

Here is my trip review from last year including details of the fabulous private tour we took in Muscat - my favourite stop.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=65236

Because the new itineraries include an overnight in Muscat we will definitely do this cruise again.

I would assume there are few if any Canadians onboard - except perhaps you Caroline. How much did you have to pay for that visa?

As a Canadian I would never advise a client of mine to take this cruise again. Needing 2 visas with a cost of upwards of $600 - $1,000 isn't worth the visit.

Hi "Littlebritain"

Thankyou for the link. It was a very interesting and informative review.

I have noticed you are quoting priced in US$. Does this mean that they take US$ in Oman in all places or do we also need to get local currency?

Did you pre book the Emerites Palace tour direct or just turn up? as I have read on the internet somewhere that they only show bookings around on cruise days.

we are really looking forward it

Jeanette

From the Regency Lounge at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, I can see BOTS is tied up to the dock already...tomorrow evening we sail out...tonight is an overnight in port for those aboard now.

CSB, go wave from the aft, we are watching for you!!!

From the Regency Lounge at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, I can see BOTS is tied up to the dock already...tomorrow evening we sail out...tonight is an overnight in port for those aboard now.

CSB, go wave from the aft, we are watching for you!!!

Have a great cruise, Dave!

Have a great cruise, Dave!

Thanks!

We are waiting (about an hour to go) for the safari tour to pick us up...something happened to cause the hour delay, but we only know we are being delayed an hour on the pick up...could be that not many folks are going...

Now in port, which I can see out the window here...2 Costa ships (don't know which by looking but doubt it was the one I saw in early December in Cozumel) and BOTS. The old QE2 is also here...but then again she "lives" here now tied to the dock.

Hit up the Gold Souk and wandered some back streets...seemed pretty safe doing so here, can't say elsewhere in the world wandering like that has always seemed so safe. Bangkok for one was a bit odd as back streets went.

The best time to join the ship is between 13:00 and 14:00. If you board before this you will only have access to the cafe and not to your cabin (or at least this was how it was last year when we did this cruise.) The bags follow later in the afternoon.

Muscat is a lovely port of call, as is Abu Dhabi and it goes without saying Dubai. There is not a lot to see at Fujuraih and we found this a disappointing port. This year you do not have Bahrain as a port, but an extra day in Muscat which is a good decision.

Passing comment on a previous post, yes they are all very safe places.

As a afterthought there is information about the BOS Middle East cruise sailing out of Port Raid in Dubai on the main Trip Advisor site in the Dubai section. I think here in the UK we tend to have a preference for this to post questions and reviews on. There should be lots of information on the cruise if you search for it.

The best time to join the ship is between 13:00 and 14:00. If you board before this you will only have access to the cafe and not to your cabin (or at least this was how it was last year when we did this cruise.) The bags follow later in the afternoon.

Muscat is a lovely port of call, as is Abu Dhabi and it goes without saying Dubai. There is not a lot to see at Fujuraih and we found this a disappointing port. This year you do not have Bahrain as a port, but an extra day in Muscat which is a good decision.

Passing comment on a previous post, yes they are all very safe places.

We usually go check in and have lunch before going to the cabin. Given lots of folks leave the ship overnight to fly out on early morning flights I expect that cabins will be ready by the traditional 1pm time frame...

Besides we have to check out by noon, although I suppose we would be given extra time if we asked since we have very high level Hyatt frequent visitor status and are in a suite.

We sail 21st Feb Dubai need just 2 more people for the meet and mingle. There must be 2 more out there that hasnt registed yet!!!!!!

Jeanette

Hope you have as good a time in Muscat as we did -I just loved it! Yes they took US$ in the little restaurant we went to (up the steps above the entrance to the souk). We didn't buy anything but I heard they would take US$. In the other ports we used AED (dirham)

I think last year we were the first sailing to make the 25 for the CC meeting and the CD was really shocked!!!

Hi Carolyn,

Thoroughly enjoyed your blog. Glad you had a great trip.

Can you tell me if you noticed the procedures for the Big Bus Tours, in both Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Is the booking desk obvious ?

Thinking of doing this one without prebooking aboard.

Thanks.

Archived