Walk for the cure

willandjonsmom

On a previous trip on the Conquest we did a walk for the cure benefiting the Susan G. Komen foundation, we are leaving on February 14, on the Ecstasy and I was wanting to find out if they are still doing a walk for the cure. If anyone has recently sailed and has any information please let me know. Thank You in Advance.

I was just off Ecstasy last Thursday and they didnt have the same walk for a cure, they had a different medical cause they were supporting, but it was the same $10.

I dont remember who .. but I was surprised it wasnt for breast cancer. But it was a good cause too.

Carnival had a three year contract with the Susan G Komen foundation. They are now partnered with St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital in Memphis.

There currently is no activity associated with the fund but for a ten dollar donation you get a t-shirt and wrist band as before.

The folks at Carnival are working on some sort of activity to highlight this campaign...

:)

Carnival had a 3 year contract to raise money for Komen....

NOW Carnival has a 3 year contract to raise money for St Jude....

they call it the Groove for St Jude.

$10 gets you a tshirt and a wristband....and they do some line dances either in the disco OR on Lido....

Carnival pays for the tshirts and wristbands....all the money donated goes to St Jude.

they are now foing the fundraising for St Jude. Still a very worthy cause!!!

You beat me... just found it.

Says Karaoke for St. Jude - applause for a cause .. I found last Wednesday's daily thingee on Ecstasy.

Do good, feel good. And help some kids - also good, right? Get ready to perform and sign up at Formalities for the special Karaoke event. A $10 donation to St. Jude gets you a T-shirt, wristband and your shot at stardom. 4 pm

Carnival had a 3 year contract to raise money for Komen....

NOW Carnival has a 3 year contract to raise money for St Jude....

they call it the Groove for St Jude.

$10 gets you a tshirt and a wristband....and they do some line dances either in the disco OR on Lido....

Carnival pays for the tshirts and wristbands....all the money donated goes to St Jude.

They called it Applause for a Cause on Ecstasy .. but same thing.

Carnival had a three year contract with the Susan G Komen foundation. They are now partnered with St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital in Memphis.

There currently is no activity associated with the fund but for a ten dollar donation you get a t-shirt and wrist band as before.

The folks at Carnival are working on some sort of activity to highlight this campaign...

Komen was a HUGE success.....I think Carnival is a little disappointed that the St Jude event is not better attended.

Personally, even though St Jude has been around a lot longer than Komen...Komen is a public relation machine. Every weekend, there is a walk or race going on in a town somewhere in America.

Also, while almost every family has been touched by an "adult" member or "adult" friend dealing with cancer..... not as many families are touched with children dealing with cancer.

St Jude motto..."no child will be turned away because of a family's inability to pay". Their survival rates in childhood cancers have increased significantly over recent years. They are making great strides.

They called it Applause for a Cause on Ecstasy .. but same thing.

Yes, the ships are trying different things since the turn out this past year was disappointing (based on the success of Komen)....

You beat me... just found it.

Says Karaoke for St. Jude - applause for a cause .. I found last Wednesday's daily thingee on Ecstasy.

Do good, feel good. And help some kids - also good, right? Get ready to perform and sign up at Formalities for the special Karaoke event. A $10 donation to St. Jude gets you a T-shirt, wristband and your shot at stardom. 4 pm

You know that would work for me!!! :D

Komen was a HUGE success.....I think Carnival is a little disappointed that the St Jude event is not better attended.

Personally, even though St Jude has been around a lot longer than Komen...Komen is a public relation machine. Every weekend, there is a walk or race going on in a town somewhere in America.

Also, while almost every family has been touched by an "adult" member or "adult" friend dealing with cancer..... not as many families are touched with children dealing with cancer.

St Jude motto..."no child will be turned away because of a family's inability to pay". Their survival rates in childhood cancers have increased significantly over recent years. They are making great strides.

That's exactly why I've been talking with John about some kind of 'event' to demonstrate participation. Folks like to be involved and the t-shirt and wrist band alone are too passive...

I'm sure they won't do another walk because it's sort of a Komen trademark but perhaps something else...

Bye the way, when do we get to sail together again???

That's exactly why I've been talking with John about some kind of 'event' to demonstrate participation. Folks like to be involved and the t-shirt and wrist band alone are too passive...

I'm sure they won't do another walk because it's sort of a Komen trademark but perhaps something else...

Maybe its not a big success because there are people like me who cant carry a tune. .. I love to walk .. but singing .. NO.

They could go back to walking?? Almost everyone can walk.

Not soon enough.... :D

But when we do...it is a DUET FOR ST JUDE !!!!

Maybe its not a big success because there are people like me who cant carry a tune. .. I love to walk .. but singing .. NO.

They could go back to walking?? Almost everyone can walk.

I'll sing...you can dance....we will be FABULOUS!!! :)

One other thing....

it is a fine line that Carnival walks in trying to "promote" this charity without being "intrusive" on someone's vacation.

Komen literally promoted itself so well...that no promotion was needed by the cruise line.

We have been supporters of St Jude for years. Having a special needs child ourselves, we are very aware that regardless of his issues....it could be far worse.

Since I think it comes across as less invasive for a passenger to promote it....

on every cruise, I put on my St Jude tshirt and pick one night with a good size crowd in karaoke and sing Mariah Carey's Hero. It has a fabulous message that reminds us that everyone has that "hero" inside them.

I let the audience know that I don't work for St Jude or for Carnival, but that there will be an event later on in the cruise that will raise money for St Jude.

I show them the tshirt that I am wearing...and let them know right up front that I am no Mariah Carey...but that this song has a wonderful message...which is why I sing it.

I only do this one time on each cruise....and then I show up for the event and make a total "dancing fool" out of myself during the event!!! :eek:

Archived