What to Pack-New 2 Cruising

goodbirk

i am a chronic overpacker and cruises are my downfall. When we go to a land destination, I always know I can run into a pharmacy and get anything i might need. But not on a ship - they overcharge for everything in the shops. So I basically bring a small pharmacy.

Go through your daily routine and take the toiletries for your own needs. Do not read any other persons list, make your own.

Both good replies... unfortunately, I'm married to a person that also brings a 'mini-CVS' with them. You need it, she has it! Rattlesnake antivenom? Just a second, let Felix check the 'bag of tricks' and see what's in there. I wouldn't be surprised if she found something!

Seriously, we bring the basic (well, I do) and look for a way to leave stuff at home. Try to limit all the charging cables - one for the phone, one for the camera, one for the other phone.

We've brought the suction cup hooks and those can be helpful at times.

No need for the alarm clock, night light, flashlight or white noise machine. There's an app for that! (And many other things... like a packing list!)

Always bring the beach/pool stuff. Beach bag, floppy hats, sandals and spray.

One thing we've been bringing lately is a small disposable hand soap dispenser (we like the foaming kind). Keep that in the bathroom on the sink and 'keep'em clean!'. Must nicer than a slimy bar of soap sitting there.

Also, another nice item would be home-made business cards. There are several nice (free) programs out there and a simple card is simple to make. Put your name and contact information on it, personalize it, and print off a few copies. Easier to give to tablemates and people you buddy up with on the ship. I take them on my scuba dives and hand them to the people with the 'good' cameras. I get copies of the photos and I'm actually in some of them!

-

Amen to that!! I also take a small nite lite. At least 2 bathing suits, so while one is drying you have the other! I seem to change a few times during the day depending on

what I am doing, so I like a few different kinds of bathing suit cover ups! Comfortable shoes to walk around on board!

One thing we've been bringing lately is a small disposable hand soap dispenser (we like the foaming kind). Keep that in the bathroom on the sink and 'keep'em clean!'. Must nicer than a slimy bar of soap sitting there.

-

I love that idea! I've always hated the fact that RC does not have any kind of soap dish by the sink. Like you said, you just end up with a pile of soap slime on the counter top.

....making a note to get a small thing of pump-style hand soap to take on the cruise next week! :)

-

I am so glad i'm not the only one who does this - bars of soap just gross me out!

I always take clothespins because I found the swimsuits dry faster if I pin them to the clothesline (in the shower) than just hanging them over. I like the idea of suction cups and may try a couple of those this time (especially since that one hook on the bathroom door is sometimes not enough!).

I, too, am one of those who packs a mini-pharmacy. You just never know what's going to happen. I used to pack an entire box, but now I just take maybe six doses.

Definitely leaving the travel clock at home (not that it takes up much room), since we'll have the iPod/iPhone dock in our room -- one less charger to bring, too! But I'm putting foam hand-soap on my shopping list!

Another tip -- if you're flying, cross pack your clothes. In each suitcase, pack some of his clothes and some of yours. If the airline loses one bag, you'll still have something.

Thanks for the tips -- even though this is our 8th cruise, we're still trying to get the packing thing right.

Just received another suggestion - instead of the suction hook, use the 3M removable hooks. I've used them around the house and never thought about taking them. Easy to use and easy to remove.

Some really great ideas, love the power strip, because we are always plugging in phones, cameras, etc. I always bring atleast one good book, and we bring cards to play in the down time late afternoon or if its a night we just want to relax at night. Water bottles are a must. especially if traveling to other countries when you are not sure of the water, you can fill on the boat. Lastly when travelling from the US, I bring a suitcase of soda & bottle water. we use it all week during the cruise for days in port, or drinks in the room. By the end of the vacation our suitecase is empty, and we have room for our souveniers. :D

I love that idea! I've always hated the fact that RC does not have any kind of soap dish by the sink. Like you said, you just end up with a pile of soap slime on the counter top.

....making a note to get a small thing of pump-style hand soap to take on the cruise next week! :)

Don't ya wish they'd offer a travel size, pump-style foaming hand soap? That would be ideal!

Originally Posted by joand452

Someone mentioned shoe bags earlier -- I was at Target today and they have satin-type shoe bags in a little zipper bag for $2.50 at their "Dollar Spot" at the front of the store.

For any Canadians - you can also buy the satin cloth shoe bags at Dollarama. They fit a couple of pairs of sandals or 1 pair of mens dress shoes easily.:D

• 1 month later...

I did not read what everyone listed..... but, my family and I just returned Saturday from our first cruise aboard the Carnival Dream. I stressed about what to take and what not to take. We also wanted to try and save on luggage space because we were flying to port. We are a family of 4.

Over the door shoe organizer..... a must. We put it over the bathroom door and put everything from hair spray, hairbrushes, lotion, razors and so on.

Clothes pins, great for drying your clothes. (the shower had a clothes line.)

I took a very small battery powered alarm clock that I found at Target.

We had one outlet in our room. We could not get anything we took to fit into the outlet in the bathroom. I suggest a small power strip for charging batteries, phones or whatever.

When we packed I put plastic garment bags between most items. (kept formals from getting wrinkled.)

We had two formal nights. We took two outfits, one for each night. Wish I would have only taken one and wore it both nights. Who really cares.

I stressed about what to wear in the dining room and you really do see everything. Who cares I was there to spend time with my family.

I also took a small hand held steamer. LOVED it. It kept me from doing ironing.

I packed a quart size baggie with several types of meds. Just a few of each thing. Ex: cold meds, pepto, eye drops, swimmers ear drops, band aides, and so on.

Yes, pen or highlighter.

Large plastic bags to bring home dirty clothes,..... or you can do laundry on the ship. YUCK!

enjoy your cruise.

Lots of great ideas already! I'll add a couple of things I always take...A room freshener from Bath and Body Works. They are small and come in handy in such small quarters. ...:rolleyes:

We cut a square from a Renuzit pop-up freshener. Put it into a snack-size bag with holes- works like a charm.

Both good replies... unfortunately, I'm married to a person that also brings a 'mini-CVS' with them. You need it, she has it! Rattlesnake antivenom? Just a second, let Felix check the 'bag of tricks' and see what's in there. I wouldn't be surprised if she found something!

If your DW doesn't have it I'm sure I will.:p My kit is small but has saved us many times onboard and on land. Had too many incidents when we needed something and didn't have it. I do leave the ace bandages at home. DD had to buy one once onboard. It was only $4, cheaper than CVS!

We use the body soap in the shower dispenser.

-

A dollar store garden tote to corral the stuff on the vanity comes in handy. If there are more than 2 of us we will use a 6pocket dollar store door organizer. It's especially handy when someone gets the top bunk- it becomes their nightstand!

Only you will know what's right for you. After many trips I'm still revising what to bring.

Only you can decide what you can and can not live without. In addition you have to consider if you are flying or driving to port. That alone can determine what you bring. For us, this works because we fly.

1. some type of power cord

2. nook--as many books as I can possibly read in a small package

3. nightlight--tiny and not intrusive

4. travel alarm--phone alarms might not be on same time as ship

5. zip lock bags--various sizes, I use them to pack going and coming.

They are great space savers. Extras for pool, etc.

6. small digital camera

7. first aid kit. Break down boxes of meds so they lay flat, you would

be surprised how many you can get in a small zip lock

8. Half the clothes, and twice the money you think you will need:)

9. Passport, copies of passport, and cross pack them and your clothes

10. It's your vacation, have fun and enjoy!!!

Archived