Egypt Travel Poll: Given the Unrest, Will You Go Back?

Dan Askin

Given the unrest in Egypt, will you return to the country or consider a cruise?  

420 members have voted

1. 1. Given the unrest in Egypt, will you return to the country or consider a cruise?

• It was never on my list, so the question is moot.
    • Yes, the recent unrest has put me off completely.
    • While it's still on my list, there are other options that have now jumped past Egypt.
    • I'm interested in going, but I'm taking a cautious, wait-and-see attitude. It's too early to say.
    • Absolutely, as soon as the State Department drops the travel warning, I'll be visiting the Pyramids.
    • Other -- please post.

We were booked on an A&K trip in March that has been cancelled. While they are giving us a full refund, the air line will not give us a refund because they are still flying there and they don't care about state dept. warnings.

So we have to invoke our travel insurance policy to obtain a refund of our airfare. The only problem is that the travel insurance was almost $1200 for the two of us (it was an expensive trip) so it's a costly cancellation for us personally.

So, I WILL NOT be rebooking this trip until I am 99.9% sure that the situation is completely peaceful...if I am not convinced, then I cannot return.

We are booked for a Nile cruise in May ( yes Iknow it long ways away) but the more we wait the more diffiicult it gets to figure out what to do, if you know what I mean!!

UNIWORLD is no help ----------- all we want is refund, &in addition we will probably lose the air tickets cost also -- as there are non refundable --------- GREAT - thanks UNIWORLD.

Just let the people get refund when ever the trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are booked for a Nile cruise in May ( yes Iknow it long ways away) but the more we wait the more diffiicult it gets to figure out what to do, if you know what I mean!!

UNIWORLD is no help ----------- all we want is refund, &in addition we will probably lose the air tickets cost also -- as there are non refundable --------- GREAT - thanks UNIWORLD.

Just let the people get refund when ever the trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hard as it is to understand, Uniworld has to take a wait and see attitude right now. May is too far away for them to make a decision. They will probably make it around the middle of March.

However, it may not be cancelled as things are slowly getting back to normal in Egypt and the tourist attractions are re-opening. The only thing not re-opened at the moment is the museum while they clean up the mess left by the looters.

Did you buy insurance? No, they will not let people get a refund/cancel whenever the trip. This is a business decision and they will do whatever is best for the client but also for the business.

However, it may not be cancelled as things are slowly getting back to normal in Egypt and the tourist attractions are re-opening. The only thing not re-opened at the moment is the museum while they clean up the mess left by the looters.

Actually, the Museum reopened on Sunday: http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/21/egypt-reopens-museums-and-historical-sites/

The situation with the looters at the museum (actually "looter" as there was only one that made it inside) was much overblown. Only a few artifacts were actually stolen or damaged.

We've been to Alexandria and Cairo twice in the last 8 years and would certainly consider returning once the political atmosphere has calmed down. We would love to spend a couple of weeks in Cairo, visiting the Museum of Antiquities on a daily basis so that we can see more than the whirlwind tour we were able to take with a shore excursion.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Actually, the Museum reopened on Sunday: http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/21/egypt-reopens-museums-and-historical-sites/

The situation with the looters at the museum (actually "looter" as there was only one that made it inside) was much overblown. Only a few artifacts were actually stolen or damaged.

Glad to hear it's re-opened. As for a few artifacts, I think it's disgusting any where damaged or stolen. That is their heritage.

Nevertheless, I would say the posibility of the May Nile cruises going ahead is almost a sure thing.

I will consider Egypt, and the entire region, when there appears to be some stability. Safety is of concern, but more importantly and unlike other posters, my travel dollars are limited. I would not like to find myself "diverted" to another port, especially those I have already visited. If I had unlimited funds, this would not be a problem.

I understand that there are risks in any cruise itinerary, but the current risks are pretty darn obvious, and so, for me, a "wait & see" attitude seems best.

My thoughts are with the people of Egypt, and I hope they can acheive a government that works for them.

Glad to hear it's re-opened. As for a few artifacts, I think it's disgusting any where damaged or stolen. That is their heritage.

Nevertheless, I would say the posibility of the May Nile cruises going ahead is almost a sure thing.

I think you or possibly someone else has said that more than once. However, if you know your Egyptian history, it is not really "their" heritage. Since the time of ancient Egypt and the Pharaohs, Egypt has been conquered and settled by the Persians, Macedonians, Romans, Arabs, and Turks. And in more modern times by France and Britain. Few people now living in Egypt today can claim to be descended from the early Egyptians -- possibly only the Coptic Christians.

Leaving that aside, I think it's a bit much to condemn the whole lot for the actions of one or a very few!

Look at the looting that took place in the museum in the Iraq Museum in Baghdad in 2003, for example. Now that was a tragedy. Many priceless pieces stolen and about half of them are still missing. The citizens certainly didn't form a human chain around the museum to protect it like those of Egypt did.

We are booked on Regent's Voyager from Safaga to Barcelona in November. We will definitely take the cruise if Regent includes the Egyptian ports. if they don't, and substitute others, we will still take the cruise. We visited Egypt 25 years ago, and this trip will essentially be a refresher for us. Obviously, a cruise line would not take its passengers and ships into any ports where events are causing instability or danger. So if Regent goes to Egypt in November, so will we.

I voted other. (I'm in between the last two)

We are scheduled on Oceania April 23. They haven't decided yet.

If our gov. says it's ok and Oceania says it's a go and looks like it's settling down more, then we will go in for the day.

I'm hoping we get to go to Egypt but if not they have a great alternative schedule. I'm happy with too. So either way I can't wait.

Trish

• 3 weeks later...

Archived