Which Europe cruise?

darmik

My 20th anniversary is coming up this year, and I would like to book a Europe cruise for hubby and I. My choices rights now are the 7 night Navigator Italy cruise out of Rome, or the 8 night Voyager cruise out of Palma De Mallorca. Which would you choose and why? I am looking for info on the ports, the ships and the destinations.

We're booked on the 7 day Navigator out of Rome. We could only spare 2 weeks off at a time, wanted to spend some time either pre or post cruise in Rome, and liked the itinerary with Messina, Athens, Kusadasi and Crete and 2 sea days. That trip just seemed to fit us better.

What are you looking for? Do you like just beautiful scenery, archaeological ruins, churchs etc? Start to figure out what you want to see and then the itinerary will fall into place. Then pick the cruise that gives you time either pre or post cruise, or both, in cities you want to spend more time in. For us that was Rome. In fact once we decided that we only looked at cruises that either started, ended or both in Rome.

I'm partial to the Mediterranean and Aegean, but others like other areas. If I had to choose a second choice it would be some cruise out of Venice and ending in Rome.

We recently went through this decision as well, we ended up with Navigator because we have teens sailing with us and liked the 2 sea days as well as the variety of ports. Also, figured my son will like what there is to see more in these ports than some of the more scenery types of tours. Take a look at what you would do in the various ports, how many days you want to do ports vs. sea days and go from there.

My husband and I celebrated our 25th anniversary in June, 2010. We took a 12 night cruise out of Barcelona on the Brilliance. We had a wonderful time. The ports of call were amazing. The trip included an overnight in Venice. If you have the time I recommend this cruise.

My first question would be what are the ports?

Then, how about air travel to Mallorca vs. Rome? If the cost difference is big, the lower-priced airfare might win, and you could spend the money saved on an extra day before or after the cruise.

I always prefer a longer cruise over a shorter one, so my first inclination would be the Voyager itinerary, with a few days pre- or post-cruise in Mallorca - it's a wonderful place.:)

If you want to spend time sightseeing before or after the cruise then Mallorca doesn't give you many options. However, if you just want time to chill out then some parts of the island are very beautiful, but you need to choose carefully.

Be aware that Mallorca in attracts many family groups and often large hen and stag groups from the UK (due to availability of frequent budget airline flights). Many of the towns have lost their spanish character and are geared to this type of clientel - lots of cheap bars, nightclubs and budget eating places.

Mainland Europe presents you with much more options for a pre /post cruise stay and personally I would go for that option.

If you can manage to fit in a 12 night cruise I would definitely opt for the Brilliance Venice itinery. We did it a few years ago and it gives a really good mix of history, islands, sea days and an overnight in beautiful and unique Venice. Also as many main attractions are some distance from the ports this itinery offers a good balance of busy days where early mornings are an absolute necessity and opportunities for more relaxing days.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip ont he Barcelona. The more I looked, and after checking airfare sample days, Barcelona seems like the best deal. Although a shorter cruise, it hits a lot of the italian ports I would like to see.

Has anyone done the mediaterrean out of Barcelona to Naples, Florence, Provence, etc?

I am struggling with the same decision so please keep the suggestions/thoughts/ideas coming; this is very helpful. In addition to the ships that you all have mentioned I am looking at the 7night Liberty of the Sea out of Barcelona Sept 3rd sailing. I turn 50 on Sept 5th and I was born in France so thought it would be "special" to at be on French soil for the day -- haven't been there in 45 years.

I am an Emerald Crown and Anchor member and this cruise would bring me to Diamond. Do you know if you receive the privleges while on the boat or do I need to achieve the level first? (perhaps wishful thinking :p) The Junior Suite has plenty of room for me and my husband -- is the upgrade to Grand Suite worth the perks? Would love your thoughts on that.

Thanks!

Esther

My 20th anniversary is coming up this year, and I would like to book a Europe cruise for hubby and I. My choices rights now are the 7 night Navigator Italy cruise out of Rome, or the 8 night Voyager cruise out of Palma De Mallorca. Which would you choose and why? I am looking for info on the ports, the ships and the destinations.

I haven't seen any Voyager of the Seas cruise out of Palma de Mallorca.

Grandeur of the Seas is homeporting at Palma for this summer season.

What time/month are you considering for your cruise?

Thanks for the tip ont he Barcelona. The more I looked, and after checking airfare sample days, Barcelona seems like the best deal. Although a shorter cruise, it hits a lot of the italian ports I would like to see.

Has anyone done the mediaterrean out of Barcelona to Naples, Florence, Provence, etc?

We've sailed out of Barcelona 4 times and we're doing a B2B this Easter on Liberty, again from Barcelona. All have been on different ships i.e. Brilliance, Navigator - 5, 7, 10 & 12 nights etc, but our favourite was the 12 nighter on Brilliance. Ports were fantastic, especially having the overnight in Venice. We have completed all of the ports you mentioned above.

One consideration is the time and ease to port, Barcelona is very easy. Venice is also not too difficult. We've never departed from Rome as the 1-1.5hrs to port has always discouraged us, especially as we have children. Costing this into the price can also make a large difference. Saying that, others manage quite easily, it's just a personal choice.

We've sailed out of Barcelona 4 times and we're doing a B2B this Easter on Liberty, again from Barcelona. All have been on different ships i.e. Brilliance, Navigator - 5, 7, 10 & 12 nights etc, but our favourite was the 12 nighter on Brilliance. Ports were fantastic, especially having the overnight in Venice. We have completed all of the ports you mentioned above.

One consideration is the time and ease to port, Barcelona is very easy. Venice is also not too difficult. We've never departed from Rome as the 1-1.5hrs to port has always discouraged us, especially as we have children. Costing this into the price can also make a large difference. Saying that, others manage quite easily, it's just a personal choice.

The Adventure is going from Palma, but the itinerary is not anywhere near as exciting as other Med cruises. OK as a vacation, but nothing special.

I am going on a 7 day western Med on Liberty out of Barcelona and think that the itinerary looks great. I would also love at least once to cruise out of Venice but my family wanted to go on the bigger ship. Venice and the Eastern Med will wait.

I have travelled into Rome from the Port and find that it is not difficult to do by train with a taxi at the other end. A family may find that the cost per head for the whole journey by taxi is reasonable. Just allow yourself plenty of time -in fact a few weeks because there are so many things to see in Rome. Barcelona port is much more accessible and a really popular 'cool' city.

Yep, Last year. We did this Itenary. We went in 1 day early and did Barcelona sightseeing walking tours on our own. We stayed at the Majectic Hotel.Great itinerary. Last stop was Toulon we did a short 4 hour excursion to Cassie, France. If you decide to do this, here is what you can expect. After a very port intensive cruise, you will be brought to a small fishing village. Your leader will just let you roam around the village on your on. This was so relaxing and much needed. I sat and drink coffee with the locals.

Go in early June as it gets hot. The vatican tour requires long slacks

for men and hats off in St.Petersburg.

jdc2204

The Adventure is going from Palma, but the itinerary is not anywhere near as exciting as other Med cruises. OK as a vacation, but nothing special.

I am going on a 7 day western Med on Liberty out of Barcelona and think that the itinerary looks great. I would also love at least once to cruise out of Venice but my family wanted to go on the bigger ship. Venice and the Eastern Med will wait.

I have travelled into Rome from the Port and find that it is not difficult to do by train with a taxi at the other end. A family may find that the cost per head for the whole journey by taxi is reasonable. Just allow yourself plenty of time -in fact a few weeks because there are so many things to see in Rome. Barcelona port is much more accessible and a really popular 'cool' city.

Sorry I have just looked at my brochure and the adventure added valencia as a second departure port. I looked at the grandeur cruises. The Italian med looked great. I would not be so excited about the Spanish med cruise even though you would visit my own country - I just think that the Italian ports had more scope for sightseeing rather than just beaches. That is of course my personal opinion

Archived