Boston Rental Cars & Travel to New York

Morebeer

Hello. Arriving Boston Logan around 9pm Friday June 10th Departing for New York Friday morning June 17th for a 5 day Canadian cruise. Looking for help with rental cars for our one week stay in Boston, as well as best and most economical way to travel to New York (Manhattan) on the 17th. All replies greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not sure that "best" and "most economical" are going to be one and the same, but for inexpensive travel you might consider MegaBus or BoltBus, where you might be able to buy a ticket for $10 per person or even less. You would have to leave on a very early bus to make sure you would arrive in NY in time to board your ship, and hope you don't run into a mega traffic jam on I 95.

Where are you staying in Boston? Parking is very expensive in Boston, and driving is craaazy :) There is really no need to rent a car for an entire week. Boston is a compact city and most people get around by walking or pubic transportation. If you are taking side trips to Cape Cod or Salem, then rent a car for one or two days.

Hello. Arriving Boston Logan around 9pm Friday June 10th Departing for New York Friday morning June 17th for a 5 day Canadian cruise. Looking for help with rental cars for our one week stay in Boston, as well as best and most economical way to travel to New York (Manhattan) on the 17th. All replies greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Agree with the above poster, no need to rent a car. A car will just be an expensive problem in Boston. Public transportation via the T, a subway system is wonderful. Parking is a nightmare and very expensive, driving is insane. Boston is a very walkable city. Save your money and take Amtrak to New York very early in the morning that you sail, or even the night before and spend the night in New York. Enjoy your holiday:)

B.

I absolutely agree with the above posters. A car in Boston will be a hindrance rather than a help. The city is made for walking (although at the moment all northeasterners are coping with snow drifts), and the T system (subway) can take you just about anyplace you might want to go in the city and the immediate outskirts.

(As an aside: Boston drivers have an even worse reputation than New York and New Jersey drivers--which is really saying something.)

I always take Amtrak when traveling between New York and Boston (though, again, there have been cancellations and delays during the recent blizzards--but this shouldn't be an issue in June!) Bus service is more economical, though I would be wary of the extremely cheap services that operate to Chinatown. Stick with BoltBus, MegaBus, Peter Pan, or Greyhound.

Appreciate all the feedback. Actually flying into Boston Logan but staying in a timeshare on Cape Cod a town called West Yarmouth which is why I thought I needed to rent the car. I have been looking at either Amtrak or Peter Pan bus for Friday June 17th from Boston to New York the day before departure on our 5 day cruise. Can you tell me how far and the best way to get from the Logan Airport to the closest Amtrak station which appears to be the South Station. Thanks.

You have a couple of choices. You can take a taxi from Logan to South Station. It isn't a very far ride. Or you can take public transportation from the airport. The Silver Line bus goes directly to South Station. When you arrive, follow the signs for Amtrak. The fare is $2.00.

If you can manage your luggage to get on a rental car bus, then you can manage your luggage to get on the Silver Line bus to South Station - a low step and luggage racks make this relatively easy. Once in South Station there are elevators and escalators up into the station. The Silver Line was designed to offer easy low cost transportation to South Station and a connection to the "T".

Archived