How do you stay in touch w/home?

ripaula

That can't possibly be correct; the internet on the computers in the internet cafe are pretty darned slow and they're not running on wireless. And sometimes (as on my Panama Canal cruise), the internet is down entirely: due not to wireless but to satellite issues. Perhaps you had slow internet because --wait for it-- you were using Skype. Duh.

Nope. Never used Skype on the ship's computers so couldn't make a comparison. And did it from the cabin only once and late at night.

The reason I say that is that we found the internet cafe time to be consistently considerably faster than in-room wireless. This is at the same general times. (We also figured out that dinner time was the best time to get on either).

Carrying the laptop ashore and finding a pub with wireless is the best solution. Several of the shopping areas at the cruise docks had free wireless internet. Nothing like getting what would take 30 minutes aboard done in less than 10 - and free, with a nice cold Carib at hand!

The reason I say that is that we found the internet cafe time to be consistently considerably faster than in-room wireless. This is at the same general times. (We also figured out that dinner time was the best time to get on either).!

We also found the internet cafe to be faster than the wireless on our last trip. In fact, although we were excited to be platinum and get free internet for the first time, we ended up not using our minutes (and most of what was used was a waste due to the slowness of the wireless). By the end of the trip, if I had to do something, I went to the internet cafe.

Archived