How do you stay in touch w/home?

ripaula

Just 2 weeks 'til our first cruise! Trying to decide whether to use a cell phone or the internet cafe to touch base w/family at home. I don't want LOTS of contact..just to be able to check in 2-3 times over the week. Wondering what's the best way..

Anyone know the rates for using the internet cafe?

Internet access - $3.95 activation fee. Usage is 75 cents per minute. You can also buy a package. Cheapest package is $55 for 100 minutes. If you buy this package before the cruise you get 20 bonus minutes. If you buy it day 1 you get 10 bonus minutes. For little use, you may want to just find an internet cafe in port. They are much cheaper.

Email. You can also text but that will cost you $.50 for any outgoing text, at least with AT&T.

Your cell phone plan doesn't apply most places outside the US. Using your cell phone while on the ship will cost you $2.49/minute in addition to any roaming charges; you will also be charged international rates, depending on the port, if you use it while docked.

We buy a $5 calling card while in port. You can talk for as long as you want. I also don't want to keep in touch with anyone at home while I'm on the ship. If there was a problem a can't get off!:eek:

I agree, I leave the ship number only to be used in life or death situations. Been on 10 cruises never been contacted, hope to keep it that way! A big plus to me for cruising is getting away from cell phones, textng, internet. Ahh peace and quiet!

Internet access - $3.95 activation fee. Usage is 75 cents per minute. You can also buy a package. Cheapest package is $55 for 100 minutes. If you buy this package before the cruise you get 20 bonus minutes. If you buy it day 1 you get 10 bonus minutes. For little use, you may want to just find an internet cafe in port. They are much cheaper.

Can you buy this package on line thru Princess.com? We need to keep in contact with things at home from time to time. Yes, I know it's a vacation but if we couldn't check in, we'd never relax.

Can you buy this package on line thru Princess.com? We need to keep in contact with things at home from time to time. Yes, I know it's a vacation but if we couldn't check in, we'd never relax.

I found this link via another thread here this morning:

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/communications/index.jsp

I used my iphone onboard to text my daughters often.

I turned roaming on in ports and checked my emails, only opening them if important.

My downfall was sending 3 picture messages from the ship. Sailing into Santa Cruz at first light was irresistable. My bill was just over £100 as opposed to my usual £30 on my vodafone plan. :( I won't do that again.

When did Princess start charging an Activation Fee? You must be thinking of HAL. Never saw an Activation Fee on Princess.

It's so easy to stay in touch with email and cell phones now, but your post made me think of my parents' travel motto:

"There are two ways to travel: First Class or with your kids"

Before my husband and I left on our last cruise, my dad wanted to know if we thought of taking him. I asked how many cruises he thought of taking any of his four children on and he replied: 'Oh, good point. Have a great time, you two!'

Never have had a problem keeping in touch--i-phone, email and fax--Actually have purchased one house while on a cruise an sold another one while at sea. Not too difficult for me--

Nancy:D:D

I don't know when they added the activation fee, but it has been a couple of years.

Sorry, never seen it posted to my accounts. Been on Sapphaire 4/08, Ruby 9/09, Diamond 4/10 and Island 1/11. I always buy a package as I am Elite then get a total refund. Has anyone paid this activation fee?

I fully don't understand any cruise line charging an activation fee. The only cruise line I have seen charge one is HAL. Been on RCI and X within past 6 months and didn't see such a fee.

Sorry, never seen it posted to my accounts. Been on Sapphaire 4/08, Ruby 9/09, Diamond 4/10 and Island 1/11. I always buy a package as I am Elite then get a total refund. Has anyone paid this activation fee?

Platinum and elite do not have to pay the activation fee. Others do (other than suite).

If you want to just tell family and friends that you are having a great time, you can do this for FREE! While onboard, go to the internet cafe or the future cruise office (right next door) and on the main page you will find a link to send an e-postcard. There is a limit to how much you can write but not a limit to the number of e-cards you can send. The only draw back is you can't receive anything. We did this on our last cruise and our friends and family liked getting a postcard from the middle of the ocean! I believe this can also be done from your laptop in your cabin.

Archived