Expectations of a Cruise Director

Sky Sweet

I was ready to email Derek, a favorite CD from Connie's Transatlantic who became a great friend 4 months later. He had been on 4 ships as they work 6 months, get 2 months off & are assigned back to the same or different. He has his morning show that he records in the evening that rells folks what is going on the next day (or the day you are watching). Guess some folks don't read the flyer. I even had his voting for hte worst drink of the day & his facial expressions tasting it. Guess what? It outsold all other drinks & not on sale either. Then he pushes the "drink of the day at $3.50" and those I like.

He has to dress prefessionally, work an average of 13 hour day tho he tells me with some special events at night that he MC's he can put in 20! YIKES!

He assists the Captain with keeping any announcements to a minimum by covering stuff on TV each morning. ANy changes to ports, tendering instead of docking, it will be discussed. He even will tell folks onboard at shows, at the pool, to spead the word on something happening & they do!

They cannot be shy, timid, angry, insulting. They have to be everyone's best friend onboard. Treating each person like royalty even if they are insulted by them. It is one very demanding job, so I make sure I give them some special time either by a funny joke or a hug & thank you.

Hi:)

I agree with lougee.

I have met different ones but they don't ever make or break my cruise.

Actually, the couple of Assitant Cruise Directors I met were more personable than the CD's themselves. (Just my opinion of course).

Corey, the Asst CD on my recent Constellation Cruise is a wonderful person. It was a pleasure to meet and get to know him a little bit!

I agree with Lois and Lougee. I often wonder why people book cruises based on the cruise director. I see posts on other boards here at CC that talk about specific cruise directors and what they are doing now. I haven't had a CD that has made or even changed my cruise. I don't even remember the CD on the Zenith, but I do remember both Derek and Corey from the Connie TA last year. People have talked about both of them being good. I guess they were, but had they not been there, my experience wouldn't have been better or worse at all. Maybe I need to experience a really great CD to know for sure.

Kelly

The CD really has no affect on our times aboard. Allan King on the Century is a nice person, but a bit of a cornball. I usually found the CD's blathering before and after a show a bit much and un-needed IMHO.

Come on Lois....Let do a cruise together so we can all ignore the CD :D.

You, me, Kevin,Gail,Earl,Terri and Joan. Bring on the breadsticks and Martini's :D.

Jeff

Hi Jeff:) I saw your pictures on your Roll Call. You are one handsome man!:D

And Kevin isn't bad either;)

One day, hopefully, we can sail together!!!

Hi FS:) Ahhhh you are on X now? Welcome to the family:D

Quote:

"maybe its because we are self-directed types"? LOL never thought of it that way! But sure, that could be it! I certainly don't need a CD to point me in the right direction (that would be to any bar or lounge on board:D )

Jeff, didn't mean to embarrass you! I am sure you have been told that before:)

Come on Lois....Let do a cruise together so we can all ignore the CD :D.

You, me, Kevin,Gail,Earl,Terri and Joan. Bring on the breadsticks and Martini's :D.

Jeff

Well that certainly sounds good to me! Where do we sign up?

I do think Allan King does a very good job, he's always very accessible on a cruise and quite friendly, but I have to agree the cruise director really doesn't have much of an effect on my cruise at all.

Terri

Cruise directors are stand-up comics with some organizational skills and Emcee experience. The ones we've had have been pretty funny. Last month we had John Challenger on the Galaxy along with Kevin Tann, the assistant CD. One of the activities staff was a Brit named Neil, who was funnier than the other two put together. He will be transferring to the Constellation in April--keep an eye out for him.

We've had Mike Hunnerup twice--the Thunder from Down Under--very good, as was Jeffery Arpin. Wasn't as impressed with the one on Summit in '03--probably why I can't remember his name. lol

I would never book a cruise just for the CD.

Explorer E. Carib. 1/12/02--Arpin

Explorer W. Carib. 118/03--Hunnerup

Summit Alaska cruise/tour--????

Adventure S. Carib. 2/8/04--Hunnerup

Galaxy Panama Canal 2/3/05--Challenger

I try to pay as little attention as possible to the cruise directors. If I want to hear old jokes I have a few youngsters who tell them much more charmingly.

That's my thoughts in a nutshell...I think it's still a position that has a great deal of importance...it's just time to lose the old routines and redefine the role.

CDs out there, never ask a question that you don't know the answer...THINK!!!

example.. the show the evening following San Juan, we were late, this seemed to make some people VERY CRANKY...why, why, why is the first question the CD asked on stage (insert fake perkiness) "so did everyone enjoy beautiful Old San Juan"?...that went over really well :eek: .

My personal gripe is not with the cruise director, but rahter the port lecturerer. I laugh because I read a post...on another board about an individual who accepted a job as mentioned above and didn't know what to do. He actually had the b...s to ask for suggestions. LOL! Imagine a newbie asking HIM for advice ! I cannot believe that a cruise line would hire such an idiot.

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought that Cruise Directors are responsible for all entertainment and social activities that take place on a ship. With that in mind, I think their announcements and emcee role at evening shows are a relatively minor aspect of that position.

Sky Sweet,

You are absolutely right about the duties. They are in command of all the entertainment. There is so much people don't realize they do. I find it said to see people think so little of the CD. On our last cruise, the CD was dealing with sick entertainers, an ailing staff memeber, a disgruntled guest entertainer, and some other problems. No one really noticed any thing except for us as we became friends with him and noticed some subtle changes in what should be. He did a great job keeping everything running smoothly.

They are always on call and work close to 18 hours a day. And yet are always willing to chat with the guests. People don't realize what goes into the job. Get to know these people. They deserve a break from reality and building friendships with us is a great break for them. So many people will just say HI and keep walking, remember they are people too.

I agree with ChessBriar. A CD can make or break a cruise because he does a tremendous amount of work to ensure that all the activities and entertainment run smoothly - he's not just an emcee or stand-up comic. There's a lot of behind-the-scenes work that someone has to do and the CD is the man - that's why they are ship's officers, not just staff.

The attitude and efficiency of the cruise director directly impacts the attitude and efficiciency of his staff. He is more of a manager than anything else, responsible for making sure that the activities go off as scheduled even if he is not present, handles problems and complaints, schedules, etc. It was interesting on our last cruise because Simon Weir (whom we know from prior cruises) came on board the day we embarked. As the cruise went on, we could see a change in the dynamic of the cruise staff and a difference in the energy. We had coffee with him one afternoon and he gave us a bit of insight into how he changed things, differences in his management style, etc. Very enlightening. His 'on stage' persona was similar to other cruise directors and the jokes were similar, but his 'backstage' activities were by far the more important aspect of the job.

Linda

• 9 years later...
Looking for Michael Thomas or Robert Vazquez they were on summit in 2002 just wondering where they are now

Thanks Linda

Robert Vazquez is now the Activities Director at the Boca Raton Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort in Boca Raton, FL.

Edited by Disconnections

What are your expectations of a Cruise Director, and what distinguishes the best Cruise Directors from the weaker ones?

My expectations are that the CD be efficient and pleasant as with all crew. I don't need jokes or verbose intros to events/shows.

The CD though is not just a staff position. He/she is responsible for a number of other people and functions, i.e. the activity staff. There may be more. So.......I expect the CD to be a manager of people and help them, grow them, council them......

My favorite on Celebrity has been Alan King who has moved to another cruise line. He did tell jokes that I could have done without.

Edited by shipshape sam