Ken Rush CD on NOS

HI! Its looking like Ken Rush will be on the NOS for April. Can anyone tell me what they thought of him as a CD!? The last time we sailed we have Jeff Aprin and thought he was great........guess I'm looking for a comparison!

We did not like Ken Rush as a director. He acted too fake. Not very spontainious (sp). However, as far as we are concerned, a cruise director does not make or break a cruise, our attitude does.

Tim & Crystal

Funny, he was CD on the Mariner when we sailed her in December '03...we met him during either the M&M or the "Meet the Captain" meeting, and he said that Cap'n Johnny had asked specifically for him to be the CD on the Mariner...he implied that his preference was to work together with him. So he's on the NOS now? Ah well, you go where the paycheck is.

Overall, we thought Ken was fine...good personality, got the crowd going at the show each evening...in other words, exactly what a good CD should do.

Mike & Silke

Had him on Explorer 06/01. He was a nice guy, but he seemed hard to get to know. I realize that he is only there to entertain us, but he could have been more personable. My wife said that he must look in the mirror and say "Gee, I'm pretty". All in all, you should enjy him for the entertainment.

Thought he was fine on NOS back in November. I personally didnt find him all that approachable, and actually rarely saw him at anything other than the shows and major events. he seemed to be very good at delegation. Other CDs I have seen seem to want to be leading everything. His involvement at those events appeared very practiced, which I am sure that it is, but he did a fine job.

HI! Its looking like Ken Rush will be on the NOS for April. Can anyone tell me what they thought of him as a CD!? The last time we sailed we have Jeff Aprin and thought he was great........guess I'm looking for a comparison!

We had him on our first Mariner cruise and thought he was as good as any CD we've ever had if not better. This surprised us after reading all the criticism on these boards. I guess you either like him or you don't. He was a helluva lot better than the dork we had on the Mariner this year.

I guess it may be that he comes across a tad polished.......but like the above poster said as goodas any other......should of seen the CD on the Summit......Dork to the T....even down to the sweater he wore rapped around his neck...IN THE CARIBBEAN!!

We enjoyed Ken Rush on our Mariner cruise. He was all over the ship all the time. Always seemed to be having fun. He was hilarious at the Quest game. We had had Jeff Arpin on all our previous cruises (on 3 separate ships!) and we loved him every time. Sad to see him retire.

He was the cd on the cruise my dh and I got married on that

was back in 94.... he was great then and we have been on several other

ship he was cd on.... he was always a lot of fun... he remembers my

mom every time.....

Not sure if you are going to have Ken Rush. We just got off the NOS last sunday and the cruise director was James Andrew, he is there while Ken is on vacation and on a special mission for RCCL. The James is going to take over the Mariner from Kirk D(who we thought was great) who will be going on vacation May 15th and upon his return is taking over the Sernade

Ken has a routine. Once you're seen it, you've seen it, and will be able to mouth the words to his lines along with him, which in itself can be somewhat entertaining actually!

BEFORE YOU LEAVE! ... B - E - F - O - R - E ---Y - O - U ---L - E - A - V - E !!!

We really enjoyed Ken Rush on the Navigator in Oct. He was very nice to us and would complement us on how we looked in the evenings.:D We did do a b2b and I am sure that had something to do with it. His routine was almost word for word exactly the same both weeks. We didn't care, we thought he was fun.

Carrie:p

Ken has a routine. Once you're seen it, you've seen it, and will be able to mouth the words to his lines along with him, which in itself can be somewhat entertaining actually!

BEFORE YOU LEAVE! ... B - E - F - O - R - E ---Y - O - U ---L - E - A - V - E !!!

We just got off Navigator 11 days ago. I could TOTALLY hear Ken talking when I read this.. LOL.... Thanks for the smile, brought me right back to NOS.

I thought Ken was good. He totally has a standard spiel, but it's a decent standard spiel.

I don't know if I can say he is "fake", as a previous poster did; however, words that come to mind are unapproachable, canned and aloof. He always has a friendly appearance while on stage, but something will tell you to keep your distance. He was considerably inaccessible during our cruise in 10/04, quite different than Jeff Arpin or Jeff Martin, both of whom I consider to be excellent CD's. Instead of attending our Cruise Critic M&M party, he handed it off to the Loyalty Ambassador, which unfortunately turned it into more of a sales pitch for your next cruise than anything else. At previous M&M's, the CD and/or captain have attended, but Ken was simply too busy for us. He came from Hollywood if my understanding is correct, and it shows. Possibly his demeanor changes depending upon who is commanding the ship, since Capt. Bang was on vacation during our cruise and was substituted by a captain that equaled Ken Rush for standoffishness and inaccessibility.

lvcruiser

Thank you for clarifying what I was saying. I said Ken was "fake" but you described him much better by saying "canned." That is my impression of him but as we have read, others have liked him, I just did not.

Tim

If he was chocolate he would eat himself.......that's a good way to describe him there. So many mixed reviews almost iffy............where is Jeff Aprin when you know he's a great CD! A lot of our group is first time cruisers and my first cruise the CD was Jeff and he was hiliarious, just as good as the comedian on the ship!

"It's Showtime".. a traditional Ken Rush saying (with the flip of the Mike..fade to black". ) We have sailed NOS numerous times and have enjoyed Jeff Martin (our first cd, my son liked him a lot and he is in the entertainment business) as well as Ken who reminds my family as a Floridian version of Wayne Newton. We enjoyed him a lot, never approached him (my son had many conversations with Jeff, as did we), he (ken) was always pleasant and to be honest we did look forward to the ever popular BEFORE YOU LEAVE!

Archived