Another bringing wine onboard question

monkeyinhat

Sorry for another question.

How closely do they check the bottles of wine you bring on check in?

I have a premix margarita that is wine bottle shape, and a sangria in wine bottle shape. in reality the alcohol content is the same as wine. what are the chances of my bringing them on board and keeping them?

Here's what happened on our recent Eclipse cruise out of Miami. It may be different with other ships. In the terminal, after going up the escalator, you then pass through the security check. Then you head towards the actual cruise check-in hall. The cruise line itself never inspected our carry on bags. The guys at the security area were not with the cruise line. I don't think they cared about wine or alcohol.

In St. Martin, we bought a bottle of liqueur to bring home. As we boarded the ship and went through a security check, the guy spotted our bottle. He told us to go to a table set up near the elevators where they tagged and collected alcohol. I just kept walking and went up the stairs. I know, it's against the rules, but we weren't planning to drink it so I flaunted the rules.

We carried on tonic water and an 8 pack of water - no one checked anything - it just went through the scanners. We also had 3 bottles of "wine" in our bags and some other bottles - got lucky and didn't get called to security - the bags were delivered to our stateroom by 4 p.m.

Norwegian was much more vigilant about the whole thing - they were consumed with trying to track down every last bottle - it was a crusade under the guise of security when we all know it's about the $$$. Happy Cruising!

Sorry for another question.

How closely do they check the bottles of wine you bring on check in?

?

Varies from ship to ship, time of year, itinerary etc. As long as you won't freak and protest if they call you over to turn it it in, you could attempt to carry a CASE of booze on. No one here can tell you what will happen the day you carry it on. You signed a contract "understanding" the rules of the line. Your choice to follow them or not.

Monkey... chances are good you'll walk right on with it. I'm not going to comment on whether or not this is right/wrong because you didn't ask that question. ;)

I am not trying to bring on straight alcohol. the alcohol content of premix margarita is 12% my wine is 13%. Just seems they should not even allow wine on if they are having a policy. And sangria is wine, probably lower alcohol content

I have never carried wine on period and didn't know if it was inspected closely

I was chased down by security when I didn't go to the liquor table. couldnt figure out why they were yelling at me as I had no alcohol. but showed them bottles of hot sauce , that was in a bottle I guess could be mini bottle and pint looking.

And a lady was complaining at dinner they confiscated her iron in the naughty room in the same suitcase she had vodka and left the vodka but kept the iron

thanx for your info

Celebrity doesn't make the distinction based on alcohol content. The rule (until you start looking for loopholes like the size of the bottles) is simple. Each cabin is allowed two bottles of wine, which must be brought onboard at embarkation. It doesn't matter how much alcohol is in your margarita mix because it's not wine... it's tequila.

It is surprising that your table mate didn't have her vodka confiscated along with her travel iron as both are not allowed.

Again, like others have said... you can choose to follow the wine rule or not. If you decide to break the rule, then just be willing to accept the possible consequence of having your "contraband" (tongue in cheek) confiscated.

Just back from Summit b/b in the S. Caribbean. I had duty free alcohol in my suitcase. Checked in on the ship. Had two roll abord suitcases. There is an okay liquour store in the San Juan Dock Tetlrminal. Went in, bought two bottles of wine each. Each two went in a separate(carry/roll on) case. No inspection either day. Lots of inspection during the cruise. You can't bring liquour on any other day. But day one..........no problem.

Just an aside...if you do back to back cruises, on the final day of your first cruise go pick up duty free and take it to your room for the next week. No problem.

Also,lots of cases of coke, etc for sale there, and we also always buy a flat of water from the dock too. No problem ever bringing coke or water abord on any day.:)

I would surmise that one of the reasons that they allow wine and not other similar proof alcohols is that there is an expectation you will want to bring a special wine for dinner, then they can make additional money on the corkage fee. It's a great racket. Sure there's lots of people that consume it in their room but there's plenty of others that bring it to dinner.

Archived