Curacao, Playa Porto Mari Beach Review 1/18/11

GypsyOBRN

This was our first experience in Curacao and after reading many postings on the message boards, my husband and I decided to have a beach snorkel day at Playa Porto Mari Beach. We were in port from 8a-530p this day and met another couple who also were going to Porto Mari from the cc message boards so we all met on the dock at 8:15 to catch a ride to the beach.

The taxi's were plentiful walking out of the protected dock area. One of the people we were with overheard, while waiting for us, several taxi's trying to charge $20.00 each way per person to Porto Mari, there were 5 of us that went and we paid $10.00/pp each way. Our taxi driver was awesome, he stopped several times for us to take some pictures, including at the Flamingo area and an overlook that incuded the ship. He gave us some history of Curacao and pointed out interests along the way to the beach. We got to the beach at 8:45 and had wait until 9am for gaits to open up. You cannot get into Playa Porto Mari Beach without having the gaits open so just to keep in mind not to get there too soon or you will need to wait.

The area outside of the gait looked like a rundown old farm with no people around that we could see. After the employees let us in, the area inside the gates was lush and beautiful. There is a distance from the gait to the beach and due to some rains it was very muddy so I was happy that our taxi driver did not just drop us off at the gait and have us walk, he waited with us then drove us all the way into the beach parking lot. He said he would be back at whatever time we wanted him to come back for us, and we didn't need to pay him until he dropped us back off at the ship. This was relieving to us since Porto Mari is a 30 minute distance from the ship & as the day went on, we didn't see many taxis just hanging around to take people back. We asked him to come back at 2pm, he was back prior to our meeting time, we added another couple to our taxi because they didn't have a taxi back to their ship. Our taxi driver asked our permission if we could take them with us, they didn't make the same deal we did about the return trip.

Playa Porto Mari is a beautiful beach with trees, white sand, plenty of comfortable chairs and umbrellas. Clean beach and crystal clear water. It did not get crowded even mid-day. We saw several friendly iguanas and small crabs walking around. Since we were the first ones there, we picked out a good spot and placed our things down.

There is bathrooms, showers, a dive shop, restaurant and bar. Try the ocean water drinkat the bar, it was awesome! We also bought fins at the dive shop since we didn't bring our own (couldn't find them before we left home), we had our own masks & snorkels but no fins. There prices were reasonable. You can also rent all equipment as well including scuba tanks but this was our first port and we knew we would be snorkeling more this trip, so we decided to purchase. We found the employees to be helpful and even fixed my husbands snorkel after he found it to be leaking on our first experience out, this was at no charge. They have a map that shows you a trail to find the fish and coral.

The bathrooms were clean and they had a place to wash off your gear with non-salt water. We did not eat at the restaurant but the other couple we were with dais the food was good. I brought granola from the ship as a snack which held us over until we returned to the ship.

We found that there was more fish along the rocks to the left and the rocks down the middle of the beach. A wide variety of beautiful fish including puffer fish, angels, and a starfish.

It was a nice relaxing day on the beach, no one bothered us. An employee came out about an hour after we arrived and we paid $8.00 for an umbrella and two comfortable chairs. There is allot of broken coral on the sand so I would suggest water shoes if you like to beach walk much or if your children are going to play in the sand. We didn't have them and were fine but we were snorkeling more then anything that day because it was just an awesome snorkeling spot. We would be hard pressed to visit anywhere else when we ever go back to Curacao, it was perfect!

I have pictures of Playa Porto Mari and Curacao in my webshot pictures, there is a like in the my signature.

GypsyOBRN,

Thanks so much for your intense review,loved it.We will be on the Westerdam in Mar and wondering what to do while in port.Maybe we'll go to this spot.My hubby likes to Snorkel .I don't care for it so I will soak up the beautiful rays!It says in the book that was sent to me that the beach closes at 6 pm.We don't get in port til 1:00pm.That may not be worth it if they close!!! :( Too bad if that's the case!

Gypsy ,

Thanks for the awesome review ! We were just there for the first time in Jan as well . We feel the same way , why would we ever go somewhere else ? The

food and service in the dining area is very good and reasonably priced . They even sell cigarettes , I know , I know . We also stopped at the flamingos , to us it was just the perfect day and we're going back Feb 2012 on cb , can't wait .

Sometimes we say let's try something different , not here , we are going straight back to Playa Porto Marie , just wonderful .

Thanks again ! Ted

Thanks for this review, we are not sure what to do on this Island; it's our first stop here. This sounds like it would be a great way to spend a day.

tjschwalm - can I ask what Flamingos is

Flamingos are pink birds, they are found in Curacao on the salt flats

How funny, I know what Flamingos are but I thought it was a place when they said they stopped at......

I am laughing out loud

Thanks for the response

dst , That is too funny . I have been outta town and even in my exhaustion I am lol . Any how , About 1/4 mile before Playa Porto Marie there are Flamingos just hangin out by the side of the road , we thought it was very cool . Our driver pulled over so we could take pics . Just icing on the cake for a perfect day . Take care ! Ted

dst , That is too funny . I have been outta town and even in my exhaustion I am lol . Any how , About 1/4 mile before Playa Porto Marie there are Flamingos just hangin out by the side of the road , we thought it was very cool . Our driver pulled over so we could take pics . Just icing on the cake for a perfect day . Take care ! Ted

Ted - Better to know before we get there and I am aimlessly wandering around looking for a restaurant called "Flamingos"

• 2 weeks later...
Beautiful pictures! We plan on going there in 3 weeks! Is there one particular place off the beach that is best for snorkeling? Like near the dock out in the water, or near a rock wall? Thanks

Yes go to the left of the dock. All along that shore is good with no current the day we were there.

Beautiful pictures! We plan on going there in 3 weeks! Is there one particular place off the beach that is best for snorkeling? Like near the dock out in the water, or near a rock wall? Thanks

we are on the same cruise! and looking for something to do in Curacao, i think we will give this a shot!

We found it to be the best near the rocks as well. Have fun!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawn125408 viewpost.gif

we are on the same cruise! and looking for something to do in Curacao, i think we will give this a shot!

LORBO - There are 3 of us going, myself, DD and DH. If you want, we could meet up and share the taxi. The fare divided by 5 would be much cheaper. Let me know. I hear it's great snorkeling and an awesome beach. All good reviews. :D

Thanks to the others for suggesting where to snorkel, I appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...
We were there on Jan 26th and were charged 10 pp each way for 6 of us.

Very easy snorkeling bay!

OMG your pictures are amazing!!!! What kind of a camera did you use?? Oh, I can't wait to see these kinds of fish. The snorkeling was not very good on the cruise we just got off of and I am suffering snorkel withdrawl :(. Thanks for posting. Now I know where to go in Curacao.

I have been there also its a very nice spot to snorkel or dive. the beach is nice to just back and soak up the sun. The food is great over at the bar too. There is only one bad thing. The ride there and back is like 45 min .other than that its paradise . we paid 10 pp for the taxi.

OMG your pictures are amazing!!!! What kind of a camera did you use?? Oh' date=' I can't wait to see these kinds of fish. The snorkeling was not very good on the cruise we just got off of and I am suffering snorkel withdrawl :(. Thanks for posting. Now I know where to go in Curacao.[/quote']

Thanks it was my first try at it. I used a Canon G-11 with the Canon underwater case. You will see many different kinds of fish. Being behind a camera, you will miss alot. Others I was with saw alot more than I did. Fun either way.

Scott

Thanks it was my first try at it. I used a Canon G-11 with the Canon underwater case. You will see many different kinds of fish. Being behind a camera, you will miss alot. Others I was with saw alot more than I did. Fun either way.

Scott

Well, you just have to see it after-the-fact right? :) I know what you mean though. I just bought a Canon Powershot D-10 and was hoping for good pics this past cruise and there just wasn't much too take pictures of, plus I was still learning the underwater part of the camera. I just spent the whole time dinking with the camera. But I can't get much practice in the winter in Michigan. LOL Anyways, I really enjoyed your pictures (can't believe it was your first try!) and am looking forward to seeing them for myself, with or without the camera.

Happy traveling.

Edited by choozin' cruzin'

Well' date=' you just have to see it after-the-fact right? :) I know what you mean though. I just bought a Canon Powershot D-10 and was hoping for good pics this past cruise and there just wasn't much too take pictures of, plus I was still learning the underwater part of the camera. I just spent the whole time dinking with the camera. But I can't get much practice in the winter in Michigan. LOL Anyways, I really enjoyed your pictures (can't believe it was your first try!) and am looking forward to seeing them for myself, with or without the camera.

Happy traveling.[/quote']

You will have plenty of photo opts, its just catching them ;) The D-10 will get you some great pictures. Learn how to ajust white balance in the camera and you will have great results. That is a major under water problem so learn this fuction.

Our lake's are a bit frozen here also, can't wait until there not.

You will have plenty of photo opts, its just catching them ;) The D-10 will get you some great pictures. Learn how to ajust white balance in the camera and you will have great results. That is a major under water problem so learn this fuction.

Our lake's are a bit frozen here also, can't wait until there not.

Thanks for that great tip!!! I will work on that.