What are the must-see islands in Greece?

Shooraq

I am posting everyplace I can to get lots of ideas and suggestions.

I am open to all that would be so kind to help me out.

Thanks So much

Marcia

I typically stay with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity because of their customer service, activities, and loyalty programs. After researching combinations of Greek Island itineraries, time of year, and prices, I ended up choosing this one for next year:

10 Night Eastern Mediterranean Cruise on Celebrity Equinox

Day 1 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy Depart 5:00 PM

Day 2 Sicily (Messina), Italy Docked Arrive 10:00 AM Depart 7:00 PM

Day 3 At Sea

Day 4 Athens (Piraeus), Greece Docked Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM

Day 5 Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey Docked Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM

Day 6 Rhodes, Greece Docked Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM

Day 7 Santorini, Greece Tendered Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM

Day 8 Mykonos, Greece Tendered Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM

Day 9 At Sea

Day 10 Naples/Capri, Italy Docked Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 6:30 PM

Day 11 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy Arrive 4:30 AM

This gets me 4 Greek Islands, plus Italy and Turkey. I don't need many at sea days, I rather get in as much as possible!

I am looking at RCCL for the reasons you stated plus I really would like to see Barcelona and they port there.

Any other tips would be appreciated.

what month are you cruising?

Marcia

I'm going for May. I hate hot weather and want to avoid the summer. Prices are cheaper in May while still having nice walking weather. Hopefully the airplane prices will be cheaper too.

My favorite port was by far Santorini. It was breathtaking and I want to go back for sure. My second favorite port was probably Rhodes. We also stopped in Mykonos and Patras. I did really like going to Ephesus when we stoppedin Turkey. But Santorini is my one MUST of a port and many cruises skip it.

I typically stay with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity because of their customer service, activities, and loyalty programs. After researching combinations of Greek Island itineraries, time of year, and prices, I ended up choosing this one for next year:

This gets me 4 Greek Islands, plus Italy and Turkey. I don't need many at sea days, I rather get in as much as possible!

I think this is an AMAZING itinerary. Will have to talk to DH about it maybe.

I think this is an AMAZING itinerary. Will have to talk to DH about it maybe.

That's what I felt. I would have liked a stop in Istanbul, Turkey, but did not like the combos of that with Greek Isles for 2012. This was the best fit or ports, at a price I am comfortable with as an inside room... just opened a passbook savings to start socking away the money for it!

Everyone speaks highly of Santorini and Corfu, it seems. I'm happy about Santorini... it's hard to tell which cruise I am exicited for more now: my Baltic cruise in May or this cruise in 2012! :)

This is my favorite itinerary on Princess. Not only do you get 4 Greek Islands but you begin in Venice and end in Rome so you can add extra days in those two great cities.

Day 1Venice, Italy ----Day 2Venice, Italy --1:00 pmDay 3Dubrovnik, Croatia 9:00 am 6:00 pmDay 4Corfu, Greece 8:00 am 6:00 pmDay 5Katakolon, Greece 7:00 am 4:00 pmDay 6Mykonos, Greece 7:00 am 6:00 pmDay 7Piraeus (Athens), Greece 6:00 am 5:45 pmDay 8Kusadasi, Turkey 8:00 am 5:00 pmDay 9Rhodes, Greece 8:00 am 5:00 pmDay 10Santorini, Greece 7:00 am 6:00 pmDay 11At Sea----Day 12Naples, Italy 7:00 am 6:00 pmDay 13Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy 4:00 am --

6a5feed11b303b53abf70d4c1df58ebf9925050.jpg View Larger Map

Umm, I think you miscounted...

Athens, Rhodes, Santorini, and Myknons = 4!

No one miscounted. You are counting Greek ports and marazul is counting Greek islands. Your cruise goes to 4 Greek ports but only 3 Greek islands.

Okay, that I understand, thank you for the clarification. The mention of Sicily threw me because i'm like, no, I know that's Italy... I'm not THAT slow. :D

So 4 Greek ports, I can live with that. :)

shooraq -

I owe you a treat. You said you are interested in culture, history and architecture. Sicily has some of the most impressive and extensive Greek architecture outside of Athens and that includes the rest of Greece and Turkey. Look at this websiteb http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/831/gallery/ Also google Agrigento to find out more.

Sicily is unique. No where else can you see the complete range of Greek, Roman, Medieval and Renaissance architecture that this island has. It also has spectacular landscapes. The mere sight of Etna is incredible. Your cruise probably stops at one of the Eastern ports, like Messina. I would recommend you take the excursion to Taormina and Etna. At Taormina you will see a Greek amphitheater -remodelled by the Romans and currently used for concerts - at the end of a Renaissance town with 15C castles. All with a smoking Etna in the background and overlooking the sea.

So this note is not entirely off topic - the "best Greek islands." If you are interested in Greek architecture and history AND islands - go to Sicily!

If you ever get a chance, go for a week and travel around the island. It is magnificent. And the food is ever so much better than in Greece - or anywhere else!!!

Happy travels,

marazul

shooraq -

I owe you a treat. You said you are interested in culture, history and architecture. Sicily has some of the most impressive and extensive Greek architecture outside of Athens and that includes the rest of Greece and Turkey. Look at this websiteb http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/831/gallery/ Also google Agrigento to find out more.

Sicily is unique. No where else can you see the complete range of Greek, Roman, Medieval and Renaissance architecture that this island has. It also has spectacular landscapes. The mere sight of Etna is incredible. Your cruise probably stops at one of the Eastern ports, like Messina. I would recommend you take the excursion to Taormina and Etna. At Taormina you will see a Greek amphitheater -remodelled by the Romans and currently used for concerts - at the end of a Renaissance town with 15C castles. All with a smoking Etna in the background and overlooking the sea.

So this note is not entirely off topic - the "best Greek islands." If you are interested in Greek architecture and history AND islands - go to Sicily!

If you ever get a chance, go for a week and travel around the island. It is magnificent. And the food is ever so much better than in Greece - or anywhere else!!!

Happy travels,

marazul

Thank you so much for the suggestions, I will definitely look into the excursion you mentioned!

Day 1 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy Depart 5:00 PM

Day 2 Sicily (Messina), Italy Docked Arrive 10:00 AM Depart 7:00 PM

Day 3 At Sea

Day 4 Athens (Piraeus), Greece Docked Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM

Day 5 Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey Docked Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM

Day 6 Rhodes, Greece Docked Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM

Day 7 Santorini, Greece Tendered Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM

Day 8 Mykonos, Greece Tendered Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM

Day 9 At Sea

Day 10 Naples/Capri, Italy Docked Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 6:30 PM

Day 11 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy Arrive 4:30 AM

Hi Shooraq

You've got some great sights lined up. If it's any help this has links to videos I made in Messina, Athens, Ephesus and Santorini http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=119171 from 2009

and this is the same sort of thing for the Baltic capitals from last year http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1277047

All the best, Tony

• 2 weeks later...
Here's where I've visited, and my recommendations in terms of preference (from the perspective of a cruise passenger).

1. Santorini - stunning views of and from the cliffs.

2. Mykonos - the picture postcard of Greece. Windmills and white houses

3. Rhodes - the unexpected gem. Loved the old walled city and enjoyed a half day at the very popular beach.

4. Patmos - enjoyed the "small town" feeling of this picturesque port.

5. Crete - seemed to have more of an industrial feel to it -- perhaps it was just the port area, or the bad memories of being ill-prepared and ill-timed so that we came within about 30 minutes of missing our ship and being stuck on the island, family of four, with no ID and a grand total of 40 Euros.

Places I'd like to go next:

1. Lesbos - for obvious reasons

2. Corfu - just sounds exotic.

T.Advisor beat me to the keyboard. I haven't been to Rhodes, Lesbos or Patmos, but I would put all on your list.

Santorini is my favorite, but it is a relatively small island. While Crete is the largest Greek island and would take several days to see all the major sites. Corfu is special (it is off the West Coast of Greece). Mykonos is worth a stop, especially if you want to go to the Ancient island of Delos. Cruising is a great way to see Greek islands. You can also catch ferries, but that is another story. If you decide to do ferries, do your research, since overnighting on a ferry is nothing like a cruise ship.

We have not yet been to Santorini, but we loved our visit to Mykonos. We also visited Patmos and Milos, each having interesting aspects. Much can be done and explore there on your own. We also got a low-cost rental car and explore some of the other parts of the island, its beaches, etc. We didn't do the beach there, but it was nice to just explore and see the variety of interesting places on this famed island. Lots to see and love in the Greek Isles.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 31,900 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Narrow flowered street in Mykonos with its many shops:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

Harbor view in Mykonos and one of the charming windmills:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

At the fish docks in Mykonos:

1A-Myk-FishDock.jpg

On the opposite side of the Mykonos village on the island, here's a sampling of the beachside activities. This includes Agrari, Elia and the long sweeping Kalafatis beach that has become famous to wind surfers:

1A-Myk-Beach1.jpg

1A-Myk-Beach2.jpg

Inside the church part of the Holy Monastery of St. John in the Eastern Orthodox tradition on Patmos Island. It is part of a complex with a nice museum and art collection:

PatmosChurch.jpg

Wow! Your pictures are awesome! I was in Santorini in 2008 and am hoping to go back September 2012. Santorini was one of my favorite places in the world so far. The scenery was beautiful, almost unbelievable. Mykonos is on the list of stops and this looks amazing.

Thanks for sharing!

Karen

Wow! Your pictures are awesome! I was in Santorini in 2008 and am hoping to go back September 2012. Santorini was one of my favorite places in the world so far. The scenery was beautiful, almost unbelievable. Mykonos is on the list of stops and this looks amazing. Thanks for sharing! Karen

THANKS, Karen, for the nice comments on the pictures! From this posting, you can see more on Athens, plus down below has lots more on Copenhagen, the Norway Coast, fjords, etc., from last July. You can also check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

And . . . many, many pictures on Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226&highlight=venice

The picture postings have been great fun in sharing. As others have mentioned, the visuals are very powerful and sometimes what people remember most. That's why this thing called television has done fairly well in our society. I like the Eyewitness and Insight travel books because of their great variety of good visuals. The old saying "A picture is worth a thousand words" incorporates the idea that a complex messages can be conveyed with just a single or a few still images. That saying summarizes that through visualization, it is possible to communicate large amounts of "data" or words quickly. Supposedly, this comes from a Chinese proverb attributed to Confucius.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 38,150 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Archived