Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

I always fly with cashmere socks, cashmere pashmina & long sleeved shirt & pants (regardless of season or location). I freeze on planes. When we fly from Colorado in the winter I add a packable down jacket to the mix (weighs less than a lb & has its own sack). Just me, but I've been stranded a couple of times & was ok because of layers

Indiana71 I think either the bolero or white pashmina would look great with that long dress

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by awhfy

Plane are always cold to me, too. Long sleeves for sure!

Today I printed my preliminary worksheets for Outfit Planning. The spreadsheet is ready to go also. No outfits listed yet.

We're having a Family Celebration Weekend January 22- 25. DS & family from Minneapolis haven't been home for a couple years. They go to the Lake House (where there's lots more to do!) But our 2 sons, granddaughter & I have January birthdays so we asked them all to come for a long weekend.

So instead of going on a cruise and being pampered, it will be my turn to do the pampering for 8 of my favorite people (+ DH, of course!) It's going to be a crazy, happy time:)!

Since all the bedrooms will be occupied, The Packing Process won't begin until after they have left (and the household goes back to Just the 2 of Us):cool:!

DH mentioned that our 50th anniversary is in 18 months...perhaps we should plan a Special Cruise. Gotta love that guy!! It's going to be fun to choose. Right now there are 3 possibilities: Hawaii (Royal Caribbean), going through the Panama Canal (Royal Caribbean) or maybe a river cruise (Viking has a 15-night Grand Tour). Itineraries and pricing for June 2016 aren't available on the websites yet...that's okay. I have a big weekend to plan!!

Edited by indiana71

Wow Indiana! I am mostly a lurker here but must come on to comment that I cannot believe that you are going to celebrate a 50th anniversary soon. Are you kidding me?!? Were you 10 when you got married?!?

Seriously, I have always thought you look fabulous and have great taste. But now that I know that you are probably at least ten years older than I thought you were, I say "Bravo, girl!"

Please add a Mediterranean cruise to your possible 50th trips. We have gone to the Med twice with Celebrity and it's just awesome to visit some of those great cities and places.

Thanks Lois R, yes i'm from the UK. The next problem is deciding what to wear next Thursday when we leave the hotel at Heathrow, jump on the Airport Hoppa bus and head for Terminal 1. Currently it is very cold in the UK - I don't really want to bring a coat... but getting to the terminal building on the bus and back again when we return is likely to be very cold indeed. I plan to wear jeans, t shirt and a cardigan and probably a pashmina too (i'll need that on the plane anyway). I shall put a camisole on under the t shirt. When we get to Miami I will probably be too hot, I guess I can find a 'ladies loo' and take off the camisole :D. Still, it's a nice 'problem' to have. ;)

Hi!

We just made the trip from LHR to Miami in December. It was 1 degree when we left our car at the long stay car park!

I wore leggings, long sleeved Jersey top, slouchy cashmere cardi and also had a scarf/wrap. I was actually ok going to and fro the terminal and comfy on the plane but the only place I felt I had chosen badly was in the 2.5 hour immigration queue in Miami. It was sooooo warm.

Maybe whip off the cami and pack away the pashmina when you freshen up prior to landing.

Also try to keep a bottle of water for Miami airport in case you have the same kind of wait we did.

Right now there are 3 possibilities: Hawaii (Royal Caribbean), going through the Panama Canal (Royal Caribbean) or maybe a river cruise (Viking has a 15-night Grand Tour). Itineraries and pricing for June 2016 aren't available on the websites yet...that's okay. I have a big weekend to plan!!

All of those sound like winners! Don't think you can go wrong whichever one you choose. Congratulations on your upcoming 50th anniversary.

DH mentioned that our 50th anniversary is in 18 months...perhaps we should plan a Special Cruise. Gotta love that guy!! It's going to be fun to choose. Right now there are 3 possibilities: Hawaii (Royal Caribbean), going through the Panama Canal (Royal Caribbean) or maybe a river cruise (Viking has a 15-night Grand Tour). Itineraries and pricing for June 2016 aren't available on the websites yet...that's okay. I have a big weekend to plan!!

As to destination choice.... it really depends on where you've already been. If you've already done Hawaii (cruise or land trip) I'd say the Panama Canal as I've read & heard that it's a special once-in-a-lifetime, not-to-be-missed sort of trip. :cool:

I would personally choose Hawaii, but that's only because I've never been and it's been on my list for some time. Seems like everyone I know has been there but me lol.

Whatever you decide, have fun planning and please continue to share your wardrobe selections! :D

I'm in a Florida now, 😎🎉👙since its -8 in my home town I'm doing the "happy dance!" Today is the first chance I've had to get away and shop!! Had to share this with you. But first,let me set the stage. Imagine long walks on the beach with white clambakers, the kind that roll up, barefoot and oh yeah, 20 yrs old. That's the thought that ran thru my mind when I saw this! Comfy and casual. Had to have it at $4.99 at Bealls Outlet. It's getting packed for my cruise in 19 days. I will find a chilly after noon lounge to curl up with a good book wearing this!!!!ImageUploadedByForums1420495871.799407.jpg.9b42eaa4a9712aa5e5e81048162897f5.jpg. It's light sweatshirt material in a slightly darker Aqua than picture shows. A little glitter, not much, on the palms!! Score. I do have purple and white capris. Will see which looks best.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

So I recently downloaded the Tapatalk app and logged in. I got an alert to this thread. I'm thrilled that it is still going, almost 3 years since I was active in it for our cruise!

I don't know when we'll take another one, we booked one while on our first (and only) cruise but ended up canceling and going to Disney instead. Now we have a baby so no cruising anytime soon. But with this frigid winter weather here in the northeast, I'd love to have my toes in the warm sand right now!

So I recently downloaded the Tapatalk app and logged in. I got an alert to this thread. I'm thrilled that it is still going, almost 3 years since I was active in it for our cruise!

I don't know when we'll take another one, we booked one while on our first (and only) cruise but ended up canceling and going to Disney instead. Now we have a baby so no cruising anytime soon. But with this frigid winter weather here in the northeast, I'd love to have my toes in the warm sand right now!

Babies are worth everything for. But having said that, we went with DD and SIL with 10 mo old girl, she loved it. We had portcribs in both rooms so we could babysit and they could enjoy our balcony. ImageUploadedByForums1420531202.436065.jpg.d2b6ea42e771c751b9225ae136277b0a.jpg

She saw these pictures recently and said she wants fancy dresses for her next cruise.

sunndaygirl: Your new top is so-o-o cruise worthy! Good for you. It will be perfect:cool:!

RedInLove: Thanks for checking in again! Welcome back!! DH & I are always surprised to see babies and toddlers on cruises...but they seem to be having fun! Sure makes it nicer when grandmas and grandpas go, too;).

I've been doing some spring (make that mid-winter) cleaning, in preparation for our Family Birthday Weekend in 2 weeks. Washed everything in 2 china cupboards and will be taking a quick trip to the Lake House for a blow-up bed and pillows.

BUT - have also had time to do a little 50th Anniversary Cruise Research - and we have decided to go to Hawaii:cool::)! We went to Oahu when DH was in Vietnam and had leave time. That was in our 2nd year of marriage, so it seems appropriate to revisit and also see the other Hawaiian islands.

Looks like Norwegian has the best itinerary for what we want, but no reservation made until after The B'day Weekend. It sure is fun, though, to think about....

Edited by indiana71

sunndaygirl: Your new top is so-o-o cruise worthy! Good for you. It will be perfect:cool:!

RedInLove: Thanks for checking in again! Welcome back!! DH & I are always surprised to see babies and toddlers on cruises...but they seem to be having fun! Sure makes it nicer when grandmas and grandpas go, too;).

I've been doing some spring (make that mid-winter) cleaning, in preparation for our Family Birthday Weekend in 2 weeks. Washed everything in 2 china cupboards and will be taking a quick trip to the Lake House for a blow-up bed and pillows.

BUT - have also had time to do a little 50th Anniversary Cruise Research - and we have decided to go to Hawaii:cool::)! We went to Oahu when DH was in Vietnam and had leave time. That was in our 2nd year of marriage, so it seems appropriate to revisit and also see the other Hawaiian islands.

Looks like Norwegian has the best itinerary for what we want, but no reservation made until after The B'day Weekend. It sure is fun, though, to think about....

Have you checked Princess? They have some fabulous Hawaii and South Pacific itineraries. They are including the west coast of South America now, too.

My SIL worked on Norwegian for 6 mo as a bartender, they lived in Honolulu and he thought he'd give it a try. We did the 7 day around the islands. My fondest memory was sail away from a hot tub watching the glow of lava flows. Unforgettable! 2004. Wow, long time ago.

pcur: Thanks for the heads up RE Princess Cruises. The reason Norwegian will probably be our choice is that we want to start and finish in Hawaii. Norwegian doesn't go anywhere else and we would dock overnight on 2 islands. Would also do a pre-cruise hotel stay and Norwegian arranges that, too; since they have an office in Waikiki.

Booking for June 2016 isn't on the NCL website yet...will wait at least a couple weeks before calling.

We have gotten used to the perks that come with being RCI Diamond+. Too bad their itineraries don't work for us. We will miss "Wine Time" with free wine/drinks 5-8 PM, the Concierge Lounge, etc.....

Gala Birthday Weekend Update: amazon must look at incoming orders and say, "Oh, HER again!":rolleyes: I (and DH, too) want to pamper the "kids" like they were on a cruise, so ordering online is the way to do it in Small Town USA. Grandkids will get special luggage tags, imported cheeses, to name a few.

Our Family Favorite Drink is from Bermuda: Dark & Stormys, made with Black Seal rum and Goya ginger beer (young'uns will have root beer). That will be the beverage offered Friday night.

When we're cruising, all of us love it when lamb is served for dinner. DH has taken responsibility for preparing The Best Leg of Lamb Ever. I ordered it from a nearby company that supplies many high-end restaurants.

Sunday morning, after breakfast, there will be a Ports of Call Information gathering (with Mimosas for adults, orange juice & spariling water for the cherubs!). The grandkids are mostly interested in swimming and being able to order whatever they want for each meal. We will be just under 5 months to The Family Cruise.:cool:

Isn't it interesting how cruising just seems to weave it's way all through life -even in the middle of winter...in western PA...with snow falling as I look out the window....

Edited by indiana71

It's been a loong time!! First I want to give a BIG thanks to Indy, I added a lot of your packing tips to my own method, and because of it was able to dress up every night for our recent Celebrity 14 night Carribean Holiday cruise! That includes 6 formals and 7 pairs of heels!! Lol!!!

It felt really good to come home and see that everything except a few daytime outfits were worn exactly to my "schedule" haha! I know you can understand! It was so wonderful to come back to the cabin after a day on the beach, shower, make up & hair, and just look at that "menu" I'd created and know exactly what dress, what jewelry, shoes. Even my DH had seen the ease this would create, and had joined in the planning with me!

Thank you!

uploadfromtaptalk1421245106040.jpg.162ef2a51851f1a8c09a33e157975b9f.jpg

Hi everyone!! We're 25 days away from our next cruise and while I'm getting excited, it's been absolutely FRIGID here!! I've started the spreadsheet, cruise clothes are in our spare room and I turn up the heat in the house to try some potential outfits on.

We've only been on Royal, but this time we're heading to the Caribbean on the Carnival Breeze. Ports are Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica. We're also going with my SIL and two (tennage) nephews so we should have a blast!!

Because I've more than taken over the majority of closets in our house :rolleyes: I've been trying on different outfits even for everyday work wear so I can somehow attempt to thin out the closets a bit... Seeing as DH is looking back at our vacation pictures and I look put together (thankyouspreadsheet ;)) and he looks less put together, he's finally decided to start buying some new clothes for himself. That's great ... until he also decided he needs more room in the closet. Geez! Oh well - I've already thinned out several outfits so I may just take a page from Indy's book and drop them off at Goodwill myself and have a look around ... you know, just in case ;)

notanlines and JediMom: Yay for spreadsheets/menusicon14.gif!

Now, if only we could find a way to market that spreadsheet and make enough $$ to pay for a couple cruises;):cool:!

On Monday, 1/26, I'll be getting The House back to it's usual state (we will be accommodating 10 for that long Gala Birthday Weekend), and Tuesday, 1/27, is designated Take It Easy Tuesday - meaning a day in front of the fireplace, catching up on DVR'd programs and magazines.

AND THEN - finally the clothing and accessories will emerge from their storage places to begin Outfit Try-Ons:cool:!

It's been a loong time!! First I want to give a BIG thanks to Indy, I added a lot of your packing tips to my own method, and because of it was able to dress up every night for our recent Celebrity 14 night Carribean Holiday cruise! That includes 6 formals and 7 pairs of heels!! Lol!!!

It felt really good to come home and see that everything except a few daytime outfits were worn exactly to my "schedule" haha! I know you can understand! It was so wonderful to come back to the cabin after a day on the beach, shower, make up & hair, and just look at that "menu" I'd created and know exactly what dress, what jewelry, shoes. Even my DH had seen the ease this would create, and had joined in the planning with me!

Thank you!

Great picture! Sounds like an awesome cruise!

My husband was delivered to the Miami airport for his week in Haiti, now my cruise prep can begin. He'll be back a day and a half before we head to port. We've laid his clothes out in a spare room so I can pack for him. I don't normally pack for him. I forgot something once and now he does it. We leave on the 24th on the Reflection. I may look around for a cocktail dress before we go. Not happy with my choice of dress up clothes. And always a good excuse for shopping. Esp in sunny Florida.

My husband was delivered to the Miami airport for his week in Haiti, now my cruise prep can begin. He'll be back a day and a half before we head to port. We've laid his clothes out in a spare room so I can pack for him. I don't normally pack for him. I forgot something once and now he does it. We leave on the 24th on the Reflection. I may look around for a cocktail dress before we go. Not happy with my choice of dress up clothes. And always a good excuse for shopping. Esp in sunny Florida.

My DH is going to be in New Orleans for work the week before our cruise. He flies home the night before our flight out of Buffalo. I'm hoping the weather is clear until we're both in Miami and then let the blizzards come ... I could handle being in Miami for a few extra days ;)