ques on refund of govt taxes & fees

We had to cancel a Jan cruise because DH was hospitalized. Had insurance and filed a claim. Received checks today totaling the "guest fare" but not the "govt fees/taxes". Is this normal? If so, how can they charge taxes on something that didn't occur? I have a call in to our PCC but so far, no answers. Thanks in advance if anyone is knowledgable about this.:)

We had to cancel a Jan cruise because DH was hospitalized. Had insurance and filed a claim. Received checks today totaling the "guest fare" but not the "govt fees/taxes". Is this normal? If so, how can they charge taxes on something that didn't occur? I have a call in to our PCC but so far, no answers. Thanks in advance if anyone is knowledgable about this.:)

Not sure I understand the question. You state you received checks (plural). Who from? Did the insurance reimburse you for everything but the taxes and fees? Did you file a claim for the total including the taxes/fees? Are you still due a refund from the cruise line for the taxes/fees? Or are they keeping that amount? What cruise line? What insurance?

Sorry for the confusion. This is the 1st time we ever filed a claim so I was lost. Cruise was with NCL (Jewel out of NYC). We filed for total cost of cruise minus the insurance portion. Today we received 2 checks, 1 for me, 1 for DH that totaled everything but the govt fees & taxes. I did call our PCC and when she got back to me she indicated that the fees/taxes were rebated to our credit card. When I checked the most recent statement, it was there. I am very careful about checking charges to the acct but apparently didn't check the credits.:rolleyes:

Anyway, I got the full refund, minus the ins cost of course, so I am satisfied. Still sorry we missed the cruise.

Thanks.

Yes, no matter the insurance company, port taxes/fees are always reimbursed by the cruise line directly, as they are not part of any cancellation penalties. You don't go, there are no taxes for the cruise line to pay, so you get those back.

Yes, no matter the insurance company, port taxes/fees are always reimbursed by the cruise line directly, as they are not part of any cancellation penalties. You don't go, there are no taxes for the cruise line to pay, so you get those back.

Yes, I am learning. I surely hope we never have to cancel another cruise. I appreciate the info this site gives to everyone who is looking for help.

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't you receive a refund from NCL for the unused taxes and fees?

My understanding is that when you purchase travel insurance, there is no need to insure the part of your fare that comprises taxes and fees, as these are reimbursable from the cruiseline should you have to cancel.

Didn't you receive a refund from NCL for the unused taxes and fees?

My understanding is that when you purchase travel insurance, there is no need to insure the part of your fare that comprises taxes and fees, as these are reimbursable from the cruiseline should you have to cancel.

Might want to reread post #3 from the OP. OP clearly stated that they did receive credit from the cruiseline for taxes and refundable fees.

Archived