Westerdam Panama Canal April 15, 2011

bcirish

Yeah, every once in a while Betty throws me a bone. We don't see eye to eye generally. I was so irritated with SwissMyst (a.k.a Velvet Fog) as one poster calls her. She told me I'm so dense culinary wise (in another thread) that I make eggs bennie with bologna, white bread and miracle whip. She's such a nice person:rolleyes:. I think the world of Sapper. We met on cruise crtic on a roll call for our cruise in Apr.08. We went again in Apr. of this year. Her and her husbank Ken are just great people. We just love to get sarcastic and have our "favorite" posters on the board. It's funny how you can gel with some....and others just get under your skin.

Can't wait for Xmas to happen so I can get away. It's been a rough few weeks. My favorite uncle passed away last week after a very long illness but he was still pretty young at 72. Work has been crazy and it's just been a hassle every day lately. I think I just need a break....but that one is going to come tied to me turning 50:D:rolleyes::eek:.

Take care and get rid of that cold.

Sorry to hear about your Uncle--72 is pretty young.

it would be fun to meet sapper--i always enjoy her comments. She seems very practical and fun. SM does seem like a piece of work. I saw a post on that other thread where someone asked the hosts to close down the thread and block her IP address!!

Cold seems to be moving to my chest. The good news is each day i have a new set of symptoms/locations, so I hope it just keeps moving. I got a bit tired today but as soon as i tried to take a nap, the phone rang! Had to take the call--it was about doing some security work in retirement.

Hang on--soon it will be xmas and you will be cruising--and celebrating the big 5-0!!

ML

The tornado set down in Aumsville OR about 1 hour north of us here in Eugene/Spfd. This has been the main news item here in Oregon today. Normally the only thing we get is tons of rain and some flooding.

Glad you and Joyce and family are OK. Always sad, but especially right before xmas. 10 houses badly damaged--not too bad in the big picture. Still, rain and wind is way better than what the east coast (and Florida!) are getting ow.

ML

Hi, My husband and I are planning on taking this trip. Balcony cabins are sold out and they are trying to find an oceanview with a picture window. Hopefully we will be joining all of you. We are from San Diego and ending the cruise in San Diego is really great.

Let me know how the count is coming for the roll call.

Renee

Sorry to hear about your Uncle--72 is pretty young.

it would be fun to meet sapper--i always enjoy her comments. She seems very practical and fun. SM does seem like a piece of work. I saw a post on that other thread where someone asked the hosts to close down the thread and block her IP address!!

Cold seems to be moving to my chest. The good news is each day i have a new set of symptoms/locations, so I hope it just keeps moving. I got a bit tired today but as soon as i tried to take a nap, the phone rang! Had to take the call--it was about doing some security work in retirement.

Hang on--soon it will be xmas and you will be cruising--and celebrating the big 5-0!!

ML

Loved that post about blocking SM. I like that poster that posted that. He's usually right on. Too bad Sapper wouldn't be coming on this cruise. They are doing a Panama cruise but it doesn't work for me with deadlines.

Are you ready to come out of retirement already:D? You're not bored are you;)? Hope that cold gets bored and leaves you soon.

Hi, My husband and I are planning on taking this trip. Balcony cabins are sold out and they are trying to find an oceanview with a picture window. Hopefully we will be joining all of you. We are from San Diego and ending the cruise in San Diego is really great.

Renee

Welcome! This cruise is selling really well! I was hoping to get a price reduction but it hasn't gone down since I've booked. I'm getting spoiled, I've caught price reductions on my last several cruises but it's not working for me in 2011. I think the economy must be getting a lot better.

Renee

Welcome aboard (so to speak)! bcIrish is handling the details of the roll call and M&G, so stand by for further instructions!! Saw that balcony and above cabins were listed as "call for availability". There goes our chance for an upgrade. We booked a fully obstructed OV guarantee and it looks like that is what we will get!

Loved that post about blocking SM. I like that poster that posted that. He's usually right on. Too bad Sapper wouldn't be coming on this cruise. They are doing a Panama cruise but it doesn't work for me with deadlines.

Are you ready to come out of retirement already:D? You're not bored are you;)? Hope that cold gets bored and leaves you soon.

Prices have gone up--only about $100 pp for our category. I called the other day and asked if we could upgrade for a small fee. The small fee was $360 pp to go to unobstructed:eek: Needless to say, I declined.

Not bored at all yet but I would still like to travel once in a while and stay involved in the profession. I will be teaching classes, doing some writing, and maybe helping DHS with an education program/teaching. Boy, do they need the help!!

Cold has now progressed to upper chest and coughing. I think I will be fine for the big lunch tomorrow!!

Going back to bed to be sure...

ML

Welcome aboard (so to speak)! bcIrish is handling the details of the roll call and M&G, so stand by for further instructions!! Saw that balcony and above cabins were listed as "call for availability". There goes our chance for an upgrade. We booked a fully obstructed OV guarantee and it looks like that is what we will get!

Prices have gone up--only about $100 pp for our category. I called the other day and asked if we could upgrade for a small fee. The small fee was $360 pp to go to unobstructed:eek: Needless to say, I declined.

Not bored at all yet but I would still like to travel once in a while and stay involved in the profession. I will be teaching classes, doing some writing, and maybe helping DHS with an education program/teaching. Boy, do they need the help!!

Cold has now progressed to upper chest and coughing. I think I will be fine for the big lunch tomorrow!!

Going back to bed to be sure...

ML

That's crazy about the upcharge for a better room. Seems like $360 is more then a person would have normally paid to get a better cat. I guess this one is so expensive because it's a one off not the usual itin. like the Statendam does. There's a snowballs chance in hell-o that I'll ever go on that ship again.

Rest up....you have to be healthy for your party:D.

lorekauf

I know you posted when you are leaving/returning from your Christmas cruise but i forget--and am too lazy to go back thru all the posts to find it!! can you refresh my memory? And, you are going to the Caribbean?

Yeah, the $360 each is about what it would have cost to book unobstructed OV. I have given up hope for getting anything other than what we asked for--which is fine, we knew that going in. I just want to be able to see if it is raining or not! I am actually happy that we did this. We'll save some money, a bunch of our family have balconies, we plan on being on deck for the canal passage, and it will be hot and sticky, so i would just as soon stay in my nice AC'd cabin; no need for a balcony. We had an unobstructed OV for one Alaska cruise and I loved it. It was on the main deck and I used to sit in the window and watch the waves. The window was just above the waves and I loved sitting there!! Weird huh?!!

I didn't realize this itinerary was unique. I picked it a long time ago because of all the places it stopped; places we wouldn't be likely to go see any other way. It does seem to be selling well, so I am glad we booked when we did. Got great prices for everyone using our club membership.

Cold seems to be mostly gone. I am still a little clogged up but not uncomfortable at all, so I declare that I am well!!

ML

lorekauf

I know you posted when you are leaving/returning from your Christmas cruise but i forget--and am too lazy to go back thru all the posts to find it!! can you refresh my memory? And, you are going to the Caribbean?

Yeah, the $360 each is about what it would have cost to book unobstructed OV. I have given up hope for getting anything other than what we asked for--which is fine, we knew that going in. I just want to be able to see if it is raining or not! I am actually happy that we did this. We'll save some money, a bunch of our family have balconies, we plan on being on deck for the canal passage, and it will be hot and sticky, so i would just as soon stay in my nice AC'd cabin; no need for a balcony. We had an unobstructed OV for one Alaska cruise and I loved it. It was on the main deck and I used to sit in the window and watch the waves. The window was just above the waves and I loved sitting there!! Weird huh?!!

I didn't realize this itinerary was unique. I picked it a long time ago because of all the places it stopped; places we wouldn't be likely to go see any other way. It does seem to be selling well, so I am glad we booked when we did. Got great prices for everyone using our club membership.

Cold seems to be mostly gone. I am still a little clogged up but not uncomfortable at all, so I declare that I am well!!

ML

I'll be flying out of Calgary on Dec.28th but the cruise leaves on the 29th. I'll be flying back into Calgary at night on the 5th of January. I'm actually going to the West side of Mexico because it's so much easier to get to. I had originally booked a Caribbean cruise but it was going to be much harder to get to since I had to leave on the 26th. The flights to Florida are a PITA from Calgary. Princess had a special on balconies for the same price as oceanview rooms so it just all worked in my favor.

Good to hear that your cold is mostly gone. It wouldn't be fun to be sick for Christmas.

HI Everyone,

I am checking in and getting caught up on the roll call posts. My husband's youngest brother was diagnosed with leukemia last month and he has been in the hospital for 4 weeks so far. He has undergone 2 rounds of chemo and may have to do a bone marrow transplant. We have been busy visiting him and chauffering relatives back and forth to the hospital. Things have slowed down a bit so I have been buying air tickets and finishing planning for this cruise and a fall transatlantic on the Jewel. We will be flying in a day early and staying at the Embassy on the 17th street causeway. It is more expensive this time then in May of this year due to spring break. I like the hotel as the Total Wine store is across the street on one side and Outback Steakhouse is located on the other. They also have a package that includes the room and shuttle to the port. I plan on bringing about 1.5 cases of wine for drinking at dinner and the wine tasting. I will also pick up some club soda for the Crown Royal that will be in the room for my husband. Would anyone be interested in getting together for dinner the night before the cruise?

I still have to get my Christmas tree up, finish shopping, and my cards mailed. The ice storm we had earlier this week hasn't helped me get caught up. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!:D

HI Everyone,

I am checking in and getting caught up on the roll call posts. My husband's youngest brother was diagnosed with leukemia last month and he has been in the hospital for 4 weeks so far. He has undergone 2 rounds of chemo and may have to do a bone marrow transplant. We have been busy visiting him and chauffering relatives back and forth to the hospital. Things have slowed down a bit so I have been buying air tickets and finishing planning for this cruise and a fall transatlantic on the Jewel. We will be flying in a day early and staying at the Embassy on the 17th street causeway. It is more expensive this time then in May of this year due to spring break. I like the hotel as the Total Wine store is across the street on one side and Outback Steakhouse is located on the other. They also have a package that includes the room and shuttle to the port. I plan on bringing about 1.5 cases of wine for drinking at dinner and the wine tasting. I will also pick up some club soda for the Crown Royal that will be in the room for my husband. Would anyone be interested in getting together for dinner the night before the cruise?

I still have to get my Christmas tree up, finish shopping, and my cards mailed. The ice storm we had earlier this week hasn't helped me get caught up. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!:D

I hope your husband's brother will be ok. How sad.

Merry Christmas to you as well!

HI Everyone,

Hi we are also going down a day early although we have not yet picked out a hotel to stay at. We where looking at something in the area of Las Olas, don't know where that is in relation to the Embassy. But if it's close yes we would like to get together for dinner the night before.

Allan & Marlane:D:D

Greetings all - can not believe how busy things have been here- retirement is more exhausting the working ever was. Seems we never have a quiet moment anymore! We did our last concert for this year last night and then hosted a get together for 40 of the group at our house. One more dinner party at our house next week and then we are outta here for 7 weeks!

ML - first of all congrats on the retirement - sounds like your body just wanted you to finally stay put! I am gonna have to hand the helm of this mighty group to you - alas we will not be doing this cruise with all of you wonderful people (and I'm not gonna get to party in the penthouse - that stinks!) We got the opportunity to do the 23 day TA to Europe and the Riviera and last night our TA called us with the details. Excited with the TA and extension of time in Europe at the end - looks like we fly on to Ireland for an additional week before we come home but disappointed that I will not have a chance to meet all of you. It turns out that we are returning to Europe in the fall to TA back to the States and this combination allows us to do a round trip airfare and reduce the cost of our travels substantially - by the thousands so I guess that is a good thing.

ML - it was not that long ago that I did an update on the list - think there has only been one add since then oh BTW - the one looking for the cabin - think ours was 4137 - it is a VD balcony and was for 22 days - maybe you can give them a call and grab it. The arrangements for the meet and greet are still too far out - they said about a month out to call back. If you need any help with that - let me know. I know there are several who offered help with the Wine Crawl too.

Rest up all and have a wonderful holiday - safe travels and our best to all in the New Year. Hope to see you on the boards again and if you do not mind I shall pop in periodically to see how you all are!

barbara

Greetings all - can not believe how busy things have been here- retirement is more exhausting the working ever was. Seems we never have a quiet moment anymore! We did our last concert for this year last night and then hosted a get together for 40 of the group at our house. One more dinner party at our house next week and then we are outta here for 7 weeks!

ML - first of all congrats on the retirement - sounds like your body just wanted you to finally stay put! I am gonna have to hand the helm of this mighty group to you - alas we will not be doing this cruise with all of you wonderful people (and I'm not gonna get to party in the penthouse - that stinks!) We got the opportunity to do the 23 day TA to Europe and the Riviera and last night our TA called us with the details. Excited with the TA and extension of time in Europe at the end - looks like we fly on to Ireland for an additional week before we come home but disappointed that I will not have a chance to meet all of you. It turns out that we are returning to Europe in the fall to TA back to the States and this combination allows us to do a round trip airfare and reduce the cost of our travels substantially - by the thousands so I guess that is a good thing.

ML - it was not that long ago that I did an update on the list - think there has only been one add since then oh BTW - the one looking for the cabin - think ours was 4137 - it is a VD balcony and was for 22 days - maybe you can give them a call and grab it. The arrangements for the meet and greet are still too far out - they said about a month out to call back. If you need any help with that - let me know. I know there are several who offered help with the Wine Crawl too.

Rest up all and have a wonderful holiday - safe travels and our best to all in the New Year. Hope to see you on the boards again and if you do not mind I shall pop in periodically to see how you all are!

barbara

Sorry you won't be joining us but it sounds like you have a much better option. Enjoy your cruise.

We got the opportunity to do the 23 day TA to Europe and the Riviera and last night our TA called us with the details. Excited with the TA and extension of time in Europe at the end - looks like we fly on to Ireland for an additional week before we come home but disappointed that I will not have a chance to meet all of you. It turns out that we are returning to Europe in the fall to TA back to the States and this combination allows us to do a round trip airfare and reduce the cost of our travels substantially - by the thousands so I guess that is a good thing.

barbara

bc

Oh no, say it ain't so!! I can't believe you would rather cruise to Europe than hang out with us;)! I will be happy to try and fill your shoes but will need some advice. if you see this, please email me at no-whinersatmsndotcom. You know how to replace the words with the symbols!!

had a bad weekend--we had to put our older dog Fuzzy to sleep on Saturday. he had lymphoma and fought it for 12 months but finally we ran out of treatment options for him. he was breathing rapidly, gums were really pale and his spleen was very enlarged, so we had to let him go. Very sad and I always hate having to make this decision, but it was the best thing. Quieter around the house but having the other dog has helped.

Off to my retirement party in a little while. It will be a little sadder without my brave sweet gentle boy to come home to but he is in a better healthier place now.

ML

bc

had a bad weekend--we had to put our older dog Fuzzy to sleep on Saturday. he had lymphoma and fought it for 12 months but finally we ran out of treatment options for him. he was breathing rapidly, gums were really pale and his spleen was very enlarged, so we had to let him go. Very sad and I always hate having to make this decision, but it was the best thing. Quieter around the house but having the other dog has helped.

Off to my retirement party in a little while. It will be a little sadder without my brave sweet gentle boy to come home to but he is in a better healthier place now.

ML

Awwww.....I'm so sorry about Fuzzy. That's so sad. Although I don't have a pet of my own my brother has a dog I just adore. I call him "my puppy" although he's 3.5 years old.

I hope you enjoy your party.

Awwww.....I'm so sorry about Fuzzy. That's so sad. Although I don't have a pet of my own my brother has a dog I just adore. I call him "my puppy" although he's 3.5 years old.

I hope you enjoy your party.

Hi lorekauf

Thanks for the note. He was a great dog and i miss him. We are both grateful that it wsn't any closer to Christmas--would have ruined this year for sure and probably future ones.

Party was great--saw a bunch of folks i haven't seen in a long time, even though we all work at the same place1 Our site is pretty spread out and there are 10 major Divisions, so not hard to go a long time and not see people. The ones who are staying were jealous--and they recently were told that they were ona 2 year pay freeze:eek:

ML

Hi lorekauf

Thanks for the note. He was a great dog and i miss him. We are both grateful that it wsn't any closer to Christmas--would have ruined this year for sure and probably future ones.

Party was great--saw a bunch of folks i haven't seen in a long time, even though we all work at the same place1 Our site is pretty spread out and there are 10 major Divisions, so not hard to go a long time and not see people. The ones who are staying were jealous--and they recently were told that they were ona 2 year pay freeze:eek:

ML

Let me tell you I'm jealous too. I think I really need a vacation even though it hasn't been that long. My job is very challenging in that I have to deal with a lot of high maintenence partners within the Oilpatch. One such partner decided to rip me a new one yesterday. I don't appreciate that as it was not deserved. I let it upset me far more then I should. I slept thru my alarm this morning (this has only happened a few times in my life) so not a good start to today. My heart was pumping so fast trying to get ready so I wouldn't be late I thought I would have a heart attack. So stupid! I hope to scale things right down for Thursday and Friday. Hopefully my partners won't have other ideas:rolleyes::eek:.

Isn't it funny how you can work in the same company and not see people. I think there is around 300 in our Calgary office. I have a few favorite peeps in other departments and if we don't make a point of seeing each other once in a while we would never run into each other.

Hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas!

Just want to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. For all of you that have to travel to get to where ever you're celebrating the holidays have a safe trip. Hope you've all been good so Santa doesn't leave you a lump of coal in your stocking. All the best.

Just want to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. For all of you that have to travel to get to where ever you're celebrating the holidays have a safe trip. Hope you've all been good so Santa doesn't leave you a lump of coal in your stocking. All the best.

right back at ya' Allan!! We aren't travelling until Jan 5--going to Las Vegas for the Consumer Electronics Show--so no worries there! And we must have been very good this year cuz Santa was great to us--no lumps of coal anywhere.

Now, if only the Giants could win tomorrow, it would be perfect!!

ML

Let me tell you I'm jealous too. I think I really need a vacation even though it hasn't been that long. My job is very challenging in that I have to deal with a lot of high maintenence partners within the Oilpatch. One such partner decided to rip me a new one yesterday. I don't appreciate that as it was not deserved. I let it upset me far more then I should. I slept thru my alarm this morning (this has only happened a few times in my life) so not a good start to today. My heart was pumping so fast trying to get ready so I wouldn't be late I thought I would have a heart attack. So stupid! I hope to scale things right down for Thursday and Friday. Hopefully my partners won't have other ideas:rolleyes::eek:.

Isn't it funny how you can work in the same company and not see people. I think there is around 300 in our Calgary office. I have a few favorite peeps in other departments and if we don't make a point of seeing each other once in a while we would never run into each other.

Hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas!

I must admit i am looking forward to meeting you and hearing more about what you do--sounds interesting! Don't let them them get to you--then they win:D

It is funny and does take an effort to keep track of people. Lots of promises by folks to keep in touch in retirement--we'll see.

Had a great xmas--hope you are packed and ready for big trip tomorrow!!

ML

I must admit i am looking forward to meeting you and hearing more about what you do--sounds interesting! Don't let them them get to you--then they win:D

It is funny and does take an effort to keep track of people. Lots of promises by folks to keep in touch in retirement--we'll see.

Had a great xmas--hope you are packed and ready for big trip tomorrow!!

ML

Actually my job is pretty boring.....accounting....but it pays the bills. I'm looking forward to meeting you as well. I did have an excellent Xmas and hope you did as well. Nice...going to Vegas on the 5th. Hope you enjoy it. I actually don't leave until the morning on the 28th. Thank goodness, because I'm nowhere near finished packing and my place is a mess:eek:.

Well Christmas is over. We have had a tough and scary 3 days before Christmas. I had to run over to Joyce's place of work and take her to the hospital around 11:30am Wed. She was slurring her speech. After 4 plus hours and an MRI it was determined she had a mild stroke in the front left side of her brain. Stayed in the hospital Wed. night and all day Thurs. She was not very happy, doesn't like hospitals. But, luckily, all tests showed no loss of motor functions and her the speech impoved. They usually keep stoke patients at least 48 hrs.

Tests showed heart was OK, caradid arteries OK, and the physical therapist said not decreased function in her limbs. So the Dr. let her go home Thurs. evening. I and our kids scrambled to get christmas gifts wrapped and food made for Sat. Everything has gone well for the last 3 days and I caught up with my sleep since there was none on Wed. night. She's on a number of meds now but she looks good and acts just find. Downside......she is now in a higher risk category for an additional stoke. Still plan on going on the cruise and am looking forward too meeting everyone.

Rick

Actually my job is pretty boring.....accounting....but it pays the bills. I'm looking forward to meeting you as well. I did have an excellent Xmas and hope you did as well. Nice...going to Vegas on the 5th. Hope you enjoy it. I actually don't leave until the morning on the 28th. Thank goodness, because I'm nowhere near finished packing and my place is a mess:eek:.

oops, my bad. I thought I remembered the 26th and was too lazy to go back and look:o!! Hmmm,an accountant--the natural predator of engineers (what we both are):D!! We may have to make an exception for you!

Go pack--forget cleaning the place--it will still be there when you get back. Unless the elves come while you are away;)

ML

Well Christmas is over. We have had a tough and scary 3 days before Christmas. I had to run over to Joyce's place of work and take her to the hospital around 11:30am Wed. She was slurring her speech. After 4 plus hours and an MRI it was determined she had a mild stroke in the front left side of her brain. Stayed in the hospital Wed. night and all day Thurs. She was not very happy, doesn't like hospitals. But, luckily, all tests showed no loss of motor functions and her the speech impoved. They usually keep stoke patients at least 48 hrs.

Tests showed heart was OK, caradid arteries OK, and the physical therapist said not decreased function in her limbs. So the Dr. let her go home Thurs. evening. I and our kids scrambled to get christmas gifts wrapped and food made for Sat. Everything has gone well for the last 3 days and I caught up with my sleep since there was none on Wed. night. She's on a number of meds now but she looks good and acts just find. Downside......she is now in a higher risk category for an additional stoke. Still plan on going on the cruise and am looking forward too meeting everyone.

Rick

Rick

Very sorry to hear this but it sounds like it has ended as well as can be expected. Give Joyce my regards and tell her to take it easy--we are looking forward to both your expertise on the Canal trip;)!

Soon it will be time to get organized--M&G, wine crawl, other CC events, plus get those excursions booked.

ML

Archived