"Princesser" does Carnival... lots of photos

wilfros

Thanks for the review. I am going on the Valor, but your pictures had me hooked from the first page. And I loved the 3D! I never could do that but you explained it well and the photos popped!

I am so glad that the photos worked for you, and that you have enjoyed the review.

For me it has been an opportunity to relive a great time and share it with an audience all interested in the same thing.

I have dragged it on for as long as I could but hope to end it tomorrow.

I have saved the best for last, and that being the entertainment staff headed by Kirk (Cruise Director) and Jaime (Asst. Cruise Director).

I hope you get a chance to read the final entries.

The one and only thing that “disturbed” me slightly was their manner in handling tipping in the MDR. We opted, as we always do, for the automatic tipping. This gives us the peace of mind that those who deserve tipping will be given their proper due. We did this on Princess and we did so again on Pride.

So far So Good!! On Princess this was the beginning and end of tipping PERIOD! We chose to give a little extra to our room steward and waiter on Princess as we did again on Pride. However, at the disembarkation talk they told us they would be sending an envelope to each room should we wish to include a tip for the Maitre’D.

I was at a loss. This had never been discussed on CC, my bible on cruise etiquette, and while he shook my hand and everyone else’s as we entered the dinning room, he did little else while the waiter staff ran their feet off.

Now they are “strongly” suggesting we give him a tip. I did so, as I felt uncomfortable not doing it, when I was unsure as to how to proceed. Having said this, I believe strongly, that if you are going to have automatic tipping then that should be the end of the subject unless the Guest should decide otherwise. Having a suggestion such as this, to tip the Maitre’D, just put me off a little and thought it was somewhat tasteless.

PLEASE REMEMBER: this is just my opinion and I know how sensitive everyone is about tipping. I don’t want this subject to overshadow the review; I just put it in as a heads up for others who may sail on Pride.

Brilliant review on the MDR. We only ate there three times but also had an absolutely fantastic experience. John Heald asked on his Facebook yesterday how people felt about the dancing and a majority of the feedback (including my wife and I) was that it is a LOT of fun and belongs on The Fun Ships!

I also agree on the tipping situation for the Maitre'D. With anytime dining and the fact we only ate in the MDR three times, we never even saw the Maitr'D so we did not feel compelled to give him a tip. We also felt that the way Carnival handled this was a bit out of sync as well and would surely make anyone walking into the MDR on the last night a bit uncomfortable without that envelope in their hand.

While the rooms and the food are the skeleton and skin of the Ship, Pride’s heart and sole come from the Entertainment Staff and it’s Cruise Directors. And… They are very good at it…

Unfortunately the most professional, most exposed and most inter-personal part of the cruise is also the one that is most protected by copyrights. I understand why, it is just a shame that the people that make this ship tick are also the ones, at their most professional, are not allowed to be photographed.

Let me start this part of the review with my impressions of the Cruise Director and his staff.

I am a seasoned cruiser with one whole cruise under my belt (but it was a 10 day cruise) before boarding Pride. Again let me tell you how impressed I was with Princess, and will sail with them again in the future, however if there ever was a difference between these two ships it lies clearly in this department.

Every member of the Cruise Director’s staff was a true professional. I watched them as they interacted with the Guests and they were warm, welcoming and very inclusive. It amazed me how Kirk and Jaime were able to remember the names of the guests they encountered on more than one occasion. This has always been a weakness of mine (remembering names) but these two have this down pat.

While the Cruise Director Staff on Princess was available to the Guests, it took Kirk and his staff to show me just how a Cruise Director Department should operate.

They were silly when they needed to be, funny when they needed to be, serious when they needed to be, and again… very inclusive. They not only got people to participate but they got them to want to participate. There is a huge difference between the two.

Every time I saw either Kirk or Jaime talking with someone, they appeared to not just be listening to what the Guest was saying, but they seemed to be genuinely interested in what was being discussed.

Now this staff meets thousands of different Guests each and every week, and to be able to maintain this level of interaction day after day, week after week, Guests after different gaggles of Guests is a true talent. Pride is very lucky to have them.

The Theatre Shows were the best I have seen. I will admit here that I found some better than others, however, on average they were outstanding.

I want to focus on one in particular, which was on Monday night. I do not know the name of the production and revisiting the FUNTIMES did not help me as it just says “Showtime”, but it was a show highlighting dances from around the world.

What impressed me were the choreography, stage props and most of all the transitions between scenes. I could easily compare this show to a production expected at the Theatre back home. This show was way over the top and the dances and singers were extraordinary. I just can’t say enough about them, I was truly impressed.

You have to understand that I thought I was lowering my expectations when I decided to cruise Carnival yet everything I encountered with the Entertainment Department was exactly the opposite. What a shame we come home and have no visual memories of some of the best crewmembers on the ship.

Between Baltimore and Port Canaveral we were fortunate enough to have a guest singer on board who performed in the Theatre on Tuesday night. Please excuse me here, but I think his name was Marcus Anthony (that may be incorrect). This man was a true pleasure. He could sing and capture a crowd like no one I have seen before. Pride had an early show for late diners and late shows for early diners. We were so impressed during Marcus’ first show we discussed the possibility of skipping supper and watching his second show. Now to be on board a cruise and actually think about missing a meal should tell you just how much we enjoyed this man. He was Great!

We are not game show/trivia type people and I would much rather sit by a window a watch the ocean, thus have little I can say about these venues. I pay money to be on the sea, and thus like to spend every possible moment on board near and in view of the water.

The “casual” entertainment throughout the ship was of the same caliber as the rest of this department. Everyone, without exception, was a professional and his or her obvious talents were well displayed.

We were very lucky when we first boarded the Pride. We went for a quick lunch at the Mermaid Grill. Understandably, ever table was taken so we asked this couple if we could join them.

We were lucky enough to have our first meeting with who was to become “Pride’s Celebrity of the week” and his wife.

Steve (the celebrity) and Kim (his lovely wife) grew to become friends of ours during the cruise and each day, at each event we found ourselves searching them out. They were a delight to meet and we enjoyed our time with them very much.

Here is the 3D photo I promised them:

132.jpg

My final entry will be about our overall/general impressions of Pride as a whole.

We had a TV in the room (not flat screen) and found the number of available network channels limited. ONE BIG PLUS is that there was a channel where you could access your on board account for up to date totals owing on your account. I really appreciated this feature, as I did not have to visit the customer service area every second day for an update. This is something every ship should have in this day and age. Congratulations to Carnival for this invaluable feature.

Sailed on February 12. this feature was not updated each day for us and never really accurate. My onboard credits were not even posted until Wed after dinner.

We were able to view the first nights dinner menu on the TV but after that night it was never available again.

Thanks for the review/comparisons . I love Princess but afford carnival.

Sailed on February 12. this feature was not updated each day for us and never really accurate. My onboard credits were not even posted until Wed after dinner.

We were able to view the first nights dinner menu on the TV but after that night it was never available again.

Thanks for the review/comparisons . I love Princess but afford carnival.

I don't know... It seemed fine everytime I checked it and that was the cruise before yours. :confused:

Well people this has been fun…

Could I make a recommendation to the Pride and/or Carnival Cruise Lines it would be as follows:

If you are going to make announcements during the day, I would recommend they be ones that the passengers would find useful. As we sailed out the first day at sea we passed a “group” of dolphins. While we all knew when bingo was going to take place, only if you were lucky enough to be on top deck did you know about the dolphins. On the return, apparently, we passed a US aircraft carrier in launch and recover operations, there was even a rumor that a sub may have been sighted. Nary a mention was made of these on the PA system.

While many wanted to know about Bingo, I am certain that everyone would have loved to have known the info about the Carrier and the dolphins. Why the bridge didn’t let us know is beyond my comprehension.

Having gotten that off my chest:

Overall impressions and preferences are hard to evaluate and put into a comprehensive post. This will be based on my personal impressions of such things as:

The feel of the ship

The décor

The cleanliness

The Cabin

The service

The food

The entertainment

The friendliness of the crew;

AND the price.

Of course the ports of call also play a part but for my purposes I have decided to ignore these and focus just on the ship itself. We most certainly did not choose this cruise because of the ports of call, for us it was an escape cruise just for the love of cruising.

We booked this cruise with the “Oh well, for the money, what have we got to loose?” attitude. Having only experienced Princess and all web sites we visited rating them higher than Carnival we had reservations.

I can state emphatically that there was little I would rate below Princess. Pride is a beautiful ship with a conscientious and friendly crew. She is clean, well maintained and easy to move around on (in), even with a full complement of Guests.

The staff was every bit as friendly and helpful as Princess and our cabin was more spacious than the one we had on Princess. I did, however, find the cabin layout on Princess to be somewhat more comfortable, but this was far overshadowed by the comfort of the beds on Pride.

I could go through each and every aspect and make similar comments but let me just sum it up by saying this: I would not, for even one second, hesitate to book a Carnival Cruise again. They are professional, friendly, inclusive and entertaining.

NOW: for the most important part of the comparison…. The Price.

We were able to book this cruise, 7 days in a balcony stateroom for 1/3 the best price I could find on any Princess cruise (similar cabin category). I know that there are variables such as port of embarkation, time of year, and capacity all play a role BUT 1/3 the price of the other is a significant consideration.

This was the original basis for our decision to choose Carnival, now we have had the experience of a Fun Ship and look forward to our next. We most certainly will sail Carnival again, as we will Princess.

If you are a Princess Cruiser, I urge you to put any trepidation, you might have, aside, it has no place here. Carnival provides a wonderful experience on a beautiful ship and I have no reason to believe it would be any different on any of their other ships.

One more thing before I sign off:

I would like to thank all of you who have followed this thread. I wrote it as a thank you to all who assisted me before we departed. Further, this has given me an extension to my vacation by sharing it with you.

The fact that some of you were able to view the 3D photos only added to my enjoyment. There is no fun in having a passion and not being able to share it with others.

I have taken 3D photos of Jaime and Kirk at their personal request. I have written Kirk and told him they were ready to be mailed out. I have also asked his permission, along with the permission of Jaime to post the photos here. Should I receive this permission I will return and post them for your viewing pleasure.

I have many (I mean many) more 3D photos of Pride. If I have missed something or there is something specific you would like to see more of please let me know and I would be happy to do what I can for you.

Thanks for following, now I MUST turn my attention to booking my next cruise.

109.jpg

pride-3D.jpg

Overall impressions and preferences are hard to evaluate and put into a comprehensive post. This will be based on my personal impressions of such things as:

The feel of the ship

The décor

The cleanliness

The Cabin

The service

The food

The entertainment

The friendliness of the crew;

AND the price.

Of course the ports of call also play a part but for my purposes I have decided to ignore these and focus just on the ship itself. We most certainly did not choose this cruise because of the ports of call, for us it was an escape cruise just for the love of cruising.

We booked this cruise with the “Oh well, for the money, what have we got to loose?” attitude. Having only experienced Princess and all web sites we visited rating them higher than Carnival we had reservations.

I can state emphatically that there was little I would rate below Princess. Pride is a beautiful ship with a conscientious and friendly crew. She is clean, well maintained and easy to move around on (in), even with a full complement of Guests.

The staff was every bit as friendly and helpful as Princess and our cabin was more spacious than the one we had on Princess. I did, however, find the cabin layout on Princess to be somewhat more comfortable, but this was far overshadowed by the comfort of the beds on Pride.

I could go through each and every aspect and make similar comments but let me just sum it up by saying this: I would not, for even one second, hesitate to book a Carnival Cruise again. They are professional, friendly, inclusive and entertaining.

NOW: for the most important part of the comparison…. The Price.

We were able to book this cruise, 7 days in a balcony stateroom for 1/3 the best price I could find on any Princess cruise (similar cabin category). I know that there are variables such as port of embarkation, time of year, and capacity all play a role BUT 1/3 the price of the other is a significant consideration.

This was the original basis for our decision to choose Carnival, now we have had the experience of a Fun Ship and look forward to our next. We most certainly will sail Carnival again, as we will Princess.

If you are a Princess Cruiser, I urge you to put any trepidation, you might have, aside, it has no place here. Carnival provides a wonderful experience on a beautiful ship and I have no reason to believe it would be any different on any of their other ships.

One more thing before I sign off:

I would like to thank all of you who have followed this thread. I wrote it as a thank you to all who assisted me before we departed. Further, this has given me an extension to my vacation by sharing it with you.

The fact that some of you were able to view the 3D photos only added to my enjoyment. There is no fun in having a passion and not being able to share it with others.

I have taken 3D photos of Jaime and Kirk at their personal request. I have written Kirk and told him they were ready to be mailed out. I have also asked his permission, along with the permission of Jaime to post the photos here. Should I receive this permission I will return and post them for your viewing pleasure.

I have many (I mean many) more 3D photos of Pride. If I have missed something or there is something specific you would like to see more of please let me know and I would be happy to do what I can for you.

Wilfros, you may want to post the above comments on the Princess board also. You don't have to convince us here on the Carnival board. Most of us agree 100% with you.

I am Platinum on Princess as well as on Carnival and enjoy both lines. Last December we did a b2b with Carnival Dream followed by Ruby Princess. The Dream cruise surpassed the Ruby one. The Princess cruise was such a letdown after having Butch as the CD on the Dream and then having a CD on the Ruby who could not match him or the entertainment on the Dream.

Like you ( prior to being on the Pride ), many on the Princess board look down on Carnival.

Wilfros, you may want to post the above comments on the Princess board also. You don't have to convince us here on the Carnival board. Most of us agree 100% with you.

I am Platinum on Princess as well as on Carnival and enjoy both lines. Last December we did a b2b with Carnival Dream followed by Ruby Princess. The Dream cruise surpassed the Ruby one. The Princess cruise was such a letdown after having Butch as the CD on the Dream and then having a CD on the Ruby who could not match him or the entertainment on the Dream.

Like you ( prior to being on the Pride ), many on the Princess board look down on Carnival.

Mississauga; In theory this sounds like a good idea, however, I would not want anyone there thinking I am "Dis"ing Princess.

Princess is a wonderful line and I really enjoy their ships. The Fun Ships, however, really are fun.

What I don't want to do is start something between the two threads, I would most likely end up as one of the injured. And... I really want to live to see my next cruise be it on Princess or Carnival.

As far as looking down on Carnival, who cares? You like what you like and they seem to be happy with what they have chosen. I, on the other hand (like you) have tried something different and had a great time during the experience.

THanks so much for this awesome review! I have never ventured away from Carnival but I still appreciate the comparisons! Also I have to say that I 100% agree with your thoughts on the Pride's entertainment staff. Kirk and Jamie were a highlight of our cruise last year....In 4 cruises they were absolutely the best. If you asked me before our Pride cruise if I cared about the entertainment staff I would have told you that I don't care, which I didn't. Kirk and Jamie really changed that for me, they are amazing at what they do! And you're right, they really do recoginze guests....every time Jamie saw my daughter she remembered her and had something kind to say to her...it made DD feel very special! Thanks again!

THanks so much for this awesome review! I have never ventured away from Carnival but I still appreciate the comparisons! Also I have to say that I 100% agree with your thoughts on the Pride's entertainment staff. Kirk and Jamie were a highlight of our cruise last year....In 4 cruises they were absolutely the best. If you asked me before our Pride cruise if I cared about the entertainment staff I would have told you that I don't care, which I didn't. Kirk and Jamie really changed that for me, they are amazing at what they do! And you're right, they really do recoginze guests....every time Jamie saw my daughter she remembered her and had something kind to say to her...it made DD feel very special! Thanks again!

I am gald you agree with me about Kirk and Jamie however, really... how hard is it to remember the name DD? LOL:D

I plan to cruise for many years to come and will enjoy watching both Kirk and Jaime rise through the ranks.

Just think.. the day will come when we can sit back and say we knew them when...!

I'm glad you liked the review, it was fun talking with others during my posts.

What a wonderful and fair review. Loved the pictures. We leave in 2 days on the Pride. Our first Carnival cruise.

We were planning on arriving at 11:30am on Sunday to board. Any suggestions where to meet some CC board friends once you are on board around 1 or 2pm? thanks!

Thank you so very much for taking the time to post your candid review and wonderful 3D photos. I savored the 3D effect from each photo. I especially loved the lighting in each one of your photos; the lighting helped to capture the true beauty of the Pride.

We were on her in June 2009 and will be boarding her again with your same itinerary in May 2011. Our son will turn 8 on that cruise. We look forward to walking the familiar hallways and hope to see some of the same hard working and friendly crew we interacted with in 2009.

Glad you and your wife were openminded and willing to try another cruise line after your Princess experience. Your horizons are now broadened and you probably won't hesitate to venture onto another ship based on your experience on the Pride.

Truly grateful for your fabulous photos; I shared them with my son and we reminisced about our last trip on the Pride!

From one hockey fan to another; job well done!

Thank you so very much for taking the time to post your candid review and wonderful 3D photos. I savored the 3D effect from each photo. I especially loved the lighting in each one of your photos; the lighting helped to capture the true beauty of the Pride.

We were on her in June 2009 and will be boarding her again with your same itinerary in May 2011. Our son will turn 8 on that cruise. We look forward to walking the familiar hallways and hope to see some of the same hard working and friendly crew we interacted with in 2009.

Glad you and your wife were openminded and willing to try another cruise line after your Princess experience. Your horizons are now broadened and you probably won't hesitate to venture onto another ship based on your experience on the Pride.

Truly grateful for your fabulous photos; I shared them with my son and we reminisced about our last trip on the Pride!

From one hockey fan to another; job well done!

I would love to admit I am a hockey fan but Go Sens Go just doesn't have the ring to it that it did in years past.

Glad you liked the 3D photos. If there is anything special that you would like to see, if I have it in 3D I would be glad to post it for you.

Thanks for you comments and have a great cruise.

Wow thanks for the insight on Carnival Cruise Line! We have booked a cruise with friends for next year and were a little leary because we have always been on princess and royal and we had heard bad stories about Carnival. However, we were invited by good friends and wanted to experience something new and have recently booked a trip next year on the Legend and we are really looking forward to it! I like the fact that you were honest about your opinion and you really made me feel a little more at ease over our next trip! Thanks for all the great pics and the great review!! It is always great when people write about their exeriences on CC.... :)

I'm sorry to see this review end, I've so enjoyed reading it, and looking at the pictures even tho I can't 3d them, I've tried and tried and tried,

Thank you!!!

At least you tried, sorry it didn't work for you. Did you have fun trying?? That's the important thing.

Wow thanks for the insight on Carnival Cruise Line! We have booked a cruise with friends for next year and were a little leary because we have always been on princess and royal and we had heard bad stories about Carnival. However, we were invited by good friends and wanted to experience something new and have recently booked a trip next year on the Legend and we are really looking forward to it! I like the fact that you were honest about your opinion and you really made me feel a little more at ease over our next trip! Thanks for all the great pics and the great review!! It is always great when people write about their exeriences on CC.... :)

Carnival is not Princess, if you go looking to reproduce you Princess cruise you may be disappointed. The "glamour" factor of Princess just simply does not exist on Carnival, or at least he Carnival Pride.

HOWEVER.... The fun part of Carnival quite simply does not exist on Princess, at least the Caribbean Princess.

I can't talk about the other ships in these fleets, that just would not be fair.

We went with an open mind and looking for a good time and we most certainly found that on Pride. As I said in my closing, not for a moment would I hesitate to book another Carnival Cruise, but I still love the Princess ships best.

It's all taste. Have a great cruise with your friends and I look forward to your opinion once you return. I'll be watchiing for it.

97.jpg

View from atop Nassau Bahamas looking back at the port

Mississauga; In theory this sounds like a good idea, however, I would not want anyone there thinking I am "Dis"ing Princess.

Princess is a wonderful line and I really enjoy their ships. The Fun Ships, however, really are fun.

What I don't want to do is start something between the two threads, I would most likely end up as one of the injured. And... I really want to live to see my next cruise be it on Princess or Carnival.

As far as looking down on Carnival, who cares? You like what you like and they seem to be happy with what they have chosen. I, on the other hand (like you) have tried something different and had a great time during the experience.

I don't believe your review "dis"es princess at all and agree you should post something over their as well. I would hope that many would find it very useful and those that are too close-minded not to see it as a fair and honest comparison from someone who has been on both lines, well, I personally have little time or patience for close-minded people ;)

The very first thing a friend of mine said after my first cruise was, "now make sure you try different lines. You won't find much difference on different ships within the same line as you will on different lines and you find there is something to like about all of them if you truly love cruising!"

Although we do plan to stick with Carnival for a while, based on your review, I believe Princess would be the first line we would try!

The Taj Mahal Theatre is a spectacular area. Again I found the white walls with sparkles unnecessary but it was noticeable.

The seating area at the bottom was comfortable especially with the little tables in front of the seats. It gave you a place to put drinks etc. and still lots of legroom. I found the ceilings in this area to be low and when we sat at the back I had the feeling I was missing something as you could not see the top of the stage area. This was certainly not the case, the views were actually perfect, it was just a feeling I had. The upper balconies are the truly interesting part of the Theatre. There were stairs everywhere taking you to different levels. It is hard to explain but I would not have wanted to be the architect who designed this, it is truly interesting.

In the balconies, if you are of medium or smaller height you may find that the top of the protective glass will block your view. The glass is capped with a silver strip. It never bothered me but my wife had us move to the second row in order that she could get an unobstructed view because of this.

I will get to the entertainment a little later in the review.

DSC05997.jpg

DSC05999.jpg

Beside the theatre on the Promenade deck there are two (one on each side of the ship) lounges. They are called the Sunset Lounge(s). I am not quite sure what they were designed for but they did serve as a nice respite area if you needed to get away from everything. As a lucky balcony cabin guest we never felt the need to take advantage of this area but I can sure see how a person with an inside cabin might use this area more than others. It provided a lovely place to sit, watch the ocean pass by and enjoy a coffee (or other such beverage).

The décor seemed out of place from the rest of the ship but, all on it’s own it was quite a lovely little spot to find.

DSC05993.jpg

Directly below the theatre is the Butterfly Lounge. The entrance is special with all the butterflies in glass on display (see photos below). My wife spent a lot of time here examining each and every butterfly. She loved them.

The Lounge itself was great. I held a lot of people yet never felt cramped. Every seat gave you the feeling of being close to the performers and thus the shows were up close and personal. I loved the time we spent in this lounge.

DSC05979.jpg

DSC05988.jpg

DSC05989.jpg

to be continued ...

Great pictures, great review. My favorite lounge, my daughter was married there in March 2010

Great pictures, great review. My favorite lounge, my daughter was married there in March 2010

My wife loved it too. Here are the Butterfly photos she took. She just couldn't resist.

DSC05986.jpg

DSC05985-1.jpg

DSC05984.jpg

DSC05982.jpg

DSC05981.jpg

Oh! Congratulation on their upcoming 1st anniversary. Going back on Pride to celebrate??

I don't believe your review "dis"es princess at all and agree you should post something over their as well. I would hope that many would find it very useful and those that are too close-minded not to see it as a fair and honest comparison from someone who has been on both lines, well, I personally have little time or patience for close-minded people ;)

The very first thing a friend of mine said after my first cruise was, "now make sure you try different lines. You won't find much difference on different ships within the same line as you will on different lines and you find there is something to like about all of them if you truly love cruising!"

Although we do plan to stick with Carnival for a while, based on your review, I believe Princess would be the first line we would try!

OK!!! You're the second vote. So here I go, and it will titled the same as here "Princesser does Carnival". I want all your support if things go sour!

117.jpg

Found your review on the Princess boards. Thanks so much for the review. Glad you had such a great time. I remember when you were asking about taking this cruise, and many people discouraged you. My only concern was sailing out of Baltimore in the winter, but with the enclosed pool area sounds like it wasn't a issue. We have only sailed on Princess and Carnival. Like you we prefer the decor of Princess (but I really wish Princess would get the wonderful:D:D beds that Carnival has!! We have really enjoyed the ports that Princess sails to, but if the price is right would sail Carnival again.

Tried to see the 3D, I could see the third image in the middle, but not that clearly. It also has given me a headache:eek:. OH well, no big deal, really enjoyed your review and pics!!

What a fantastic review, the detail and especially the pictures made me feel as though I took the cruise with you. Most important though, as a Princess die hard, you changed the opinion I thought I had about cruising on a Carnival ship.

Archived