Poll: What Would You Like to See Aboard Royal Caribbean's New Ships

CCShayne

What would you like to find aboard Royal Caribbean's new ship(s)?  

1,240 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to find aboard Royal Caribbean's new ship(s)?

• Affordable family cabins that sleep up to five.
    • A large, temperature controlled, adults-only solarium.
    • An underwater specialty restaurant or bar.
    • A lazy river.
    • Bungee jumping off the bow.
    • Fewer smoking areas.

I think that EVERY cruise ship (line) should offer you table size choice when you make your reservation - AND GUARANTEE IT. Celebrity does it and we have ALWAYS had the two top we requested.

It is the only "must have" for my DH, I can pick the ship, cruise time, days anything I would like as long as it is Celebrity so that we will have a 2 top dining table. We have cruised other cruise lines and even though we go to the maitre'd as soon as possible it has been impossible to get a 2 top from anyone else.

As my DH so plainly puts it: "When we go out to dinner at a fine restaurant do we ask to be seated with other people? When we go to a fast food restaurant or Denny's or IHOP or a Steak House do we ask to sit at a table with other diners, NO!!! SO WHY would I want to sit with other people when I am on a vacation? I only want to talk with you, not those other people! They may be lovely people, but I do NOT want to eat dinner with them!" I must admit he has a good point. And after 37 years of marriage the fact that he still enjoys my company, only, that much is a real compliment!

SO - it is a guaranteed table size or we will not cruise with you.

Luvbluseas : I have been saying this for 10 years and sometimes (at the beginning..) got blasted on CC for it..I would NOT sit at any table in a restaurant with strangers...dining with people whom I have nothing in common with and whom I'll never see again, is not my idea of a vacation..if I want to have conversation while I dine, we'll go with friends or relatives..a friend said to me ,"oh I enjoy meeting new people and dining with them.."..Good, I said, BUT you should not be forced to dine with them- it should be optional....I am very sociable and friendly, but if I want to dine ONLY with my wife, there should be PLENTY of tables for 2, especially now that ships are so much bigger....Thanks for bringing this point up!

Big Al

For cabins not offering a pullout couch for a 3rd or 4th cruiser, I'd like a couple of comfortable chairs with foot stools or a lazyboy style chairs with a small drink table inbetween. Personally, I find the couch uncomfortable. I like to sit with my feet up watching a movie, or reading and having a drink, etc. Just a thought.

my vote is for this next ship to leave from New York and go to nice places. NOT CANADA for the love of god please not Canada that seems to be the big ports for New York cruises. Also the underwater bar would be so so kool. and the lazy river going around the entire top deck. The other really kool thing would be a nice size pool for adults only and do not forget a bar : ) in the front of the ship that only an adult key card could open the door to.

Luvbluseas : I have been saying this for 10 years and sometimes (at the beginning..) got blasted on CC for it..I would NOT sit at any table in a restaurant with strangers...dining with people whom I have nothing in common with and whom I'll never see again, is not my idea of a vacation..if I want to have conversation while I dine, we'll go with friends or relatives..a friend said to me ,"oh I enjoy meeting new people and dining with them.."..Good, I said, BUT you should not be forced to dine with them- it should be optional....I am very sociable and friendly, but if I want to dine ONLY with my wife, there should be PLENTY of tables for 2, especially now that ships are so much bigger....Thanks for bringing this point up!

Big Al

I personal think that sitting with other people makes it fun. You get to meet new people. You should be able to say if you want to sit with others or not. And the people who book first should get their choice. But we should not take that part away. I like sitting with others. Although I wish we could pick the table like we pick the cabin. Have the green dots over the available seats at the tables. Just like with the cabins.

Single cabins for solo cruisers. Could offer options of interior, ocean view or even balcony cabins, just smaller and with single beds. And priced accordingly so that we don't have to pay double.

I love this idea. Even though i never cruise alone. My uncle does and we can not fit him in our cabin so he ends up paying more. I think a single cabin would be great maybe 3 on each floor. That way if they fill they fill but at least those who love to cruise but have no one to cruise with can and do it for cheaper.

i think what would be really amazing. Would be if it could happen. Underwater view cabins. Cabins with windows under the water. I would pay a good price for that. Even if I am on the bottom deck. Looking into the ocean and the fish while in my cabin trying to sleep would be the best cabin EVERRRRR you really should do this. IF you can of course safety first. Also in the cabin i think maybe a bathtub would be kool. I do not think any ships have this option.

my vote is for this next ship to leave from New York and go to nice places. NOT CANADA for the love of god please not Canada that seems to be the big ports for New York cruises. Also the underwater bar would be so so kool. and the lazy river going around the entire top deck. The other really kool thing would be a nice size pool for adults only and do not forget a bar : ) in the front of the ship that only an adult key card could open the door to.

What "nice" places would you like them to go to? Are they within a reasonable sailing distance and what pray tell is so bad about Canada? It isn't the "Frozen North", has a lot of history that is relevant to us in the US and offers a wide variety of scenery and opportunities to engage in any number of onshore activities. Your xenophobia may be showing.;)

Big Al

If you are in Pennsylvania Dutch country don't go to any of their most popular restaurants and if you are in downtown Boston, avoid famous, historic Durgin Park. There are tables for two available, especially in the MTD section of the main dining room, but we have met and developed long term friendships with many people who we met either on a cruise or on Cruise Critic. How did you meet and become acquainted with your closest friends? Weren't they strangers to you at some point. As some have said, strangers are just friends you have yet to meet. How do you know that you have nothing in common with, unless you sit and talk with them? Certainly there are times when dining as a couple is a valuable experience but deciding in advance that you will have nothing in common with your tablemates and approaching the whole thing as something you are being "forced" to do is a recipe for disaster and probably a self-fulfilling prophecy.

"NOT CANADA for the love of god please not Canada"

Ouch !

lol no do not get me wrong I love Canada but it seems that 90% of the ships that leave form New York go to Canada or over seas (to much money) Canada is very beautiful but i have been 5 times on cruises form New York.

What "nice" places would you like them to go to? Are they within a reasonable sailing distance and what pray tell is so bad about Canada? It isn't the "Frozen North", has a lot of history that is relevant to us in the US and offers a wide variety of scenery and opportunities to engage in any number of onshore activities. Your xenophobia may be showing.;)

Okay I mean nice places like the Caribbean. I love Canada but it seems that I can only go to Canada from New York. I also do not think Royal Caribbean leaves form New York. And I would like if they did. Never been on one. New York is the best port for me. But I am just wanting to go somewhere other than Canada

SINGLE OCCUPANCY CABIN - I am planning to go with a bunch of girlfriends in the fall... but I would love my own space - I share space at home with a man and kids - a REAL vacation would be my own space ...! I would go often.

I think it would be nice for groups that have a single traveler - as we have 13 going and the single guy had to buy the whole room - and due to the cost he's stuck inside. We all have suites and balconies...

Singles on different pay levels would be sooo nice...!! Little balcony seat - private bathroom, cozy bed - huge closet... LOL I want that...!

Okay I mean nice places like the Caribbean. I love Canada but it seems that I can only go to Canada from New York. I also do not think Royal Caribbean leaves form New York. And I would like if they did. Never been on one. New York is the best port for me. But I am just wanting to go somewhere other than Canada

Check out Bayonne, NJ (Cape Liberty) - it's across the Hudson River. The Explorer of the Seas sails out of it to the Caribbean and other warm weather places...

lol no do not get me wrong I love Canada but it seems that 90% of the ships that leave form New York go to Canada or over seas (to much money) Canada is very beautiful but i have been 5 times on cruises form New York.

Same way here in Florida. you can go to Nassau (ho hum) just so many times. So, here we are, the south wants to go north and the north wants to go south!

If you are in Pennsylvania Dutch country don't go to any of their most popular restaurants and if you are in downtown Boston, avoid famous, historic Durgin Park. There are tables for two available, especially in the MTD section of the main dining room, but we have met and developed long term friendships with many people who we met either on a cruise or on Cruise Critic. How did you meet and become acquainted with your closest friends? Weren't they strangers to you at some point. As some have said, strangers are just friends you have yet to meet. How do you know that you have nothing in common with, unless you sit and talk with them? Certainly there are times when dining as a couple is a valuable experience but deciding in advance that you will have nothing in common with your tablemates and approaching the whole thing as something you are being "forced" to do is a recipe for disaster and probably a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Point is- is should be a CHOICE to sit with others...PLUS my wife is from Peru and speaks little English....If you came into a restaurant with your spouse or SO, and the host sat you at a table with 2-4 strangers, wouldn't you wonder, "what this?".....Like I have been saying for years- if you want to sit with others, fine, go! BUT if you would like to dine alone with YOUR friends or spouse, you also should be able to do that...

Big Al

Same way here in Florida. you can go to Nassau (ho hum) just so many times. So, here we are, the south wants to go north and the north wants to go south!

I live in VA and I am from NJ so when I cruise form NY I can stop in NJ for a few nights and see my friends and family. That is way we cruise from NY so much. But I could see why anyone would want new places to go to. I would love to be in FL. (cheap cruises to the Caribbean) but like anyone going to the same places over and over and over again even on different ships can get old very fast.

Some people are not very outgoing in a dinner situation. Perhaps they feel they do not have proper etiquette for group dining. Who can tell? I went to several Basque restaurants in Bakersfield, California. The first four were conventional in seating. Then I finally went to one which was traditional. That is, we sat at the same designated time at one long, long table. My wife and I did not know any of the 20 plus others seated with us. After much wine and numerous dishes served "family style" we felt we had 20 new friends.

I live in VA and I am from NJ so when I cruise form NY I can stop in NJ for a few nights and see my friends and family. That is way we cruise from NY so much. But I could see why anyone would want new places to go to. I would love to be in FL. (cheap cruises to the Caribbean) but like anyone going to the same places over and over and over again even on different ships can get old very fast.

From VA you can just pop down here to FL where you'll have four (4) ports to cruise the boring Caribbean. After you've been down there after 4 trips they really all look the same. When we cruise the Caribbean we rarely get off the ship anymore.

We've got our first Canada cruise planned for this coming fall and look forward to going to Canada and the NE. The only downside of that cruise - leaving from NY :(. We've sailed from there twice in the past and it's a very inconvient/crowded port.

Substitute Johnny Rockets for McDonalds, Ben & Jerry's for Baskin Robbins, and Starbucks for Dunkin Donuts and they have already covered about half of what you are looking for.:) Not sure that any of the franchises you are looking forward to could be classified as highlights of a culinary experience.;)

That is sooooo true. However I don't sail RCI for their food - THAT'S for sure! In fact most times the MDR food could take a few lessons from Friday's/Olive Garden/Outback...especially conerning the everyday steaks :p

"lol no do not get me wrong I love Canada but it seems that 90% of the ships that leave form New York go to Canada or over seas (to much money) Canada is very beautiful but i have been 5 times on cruises form New York."

No problem!! I too wish Canada was tropical!!! But alas, it isn't. I remember a (comedic) political movement in Canada to buy a tropical island just so Canadians had a warm place to go in the winter that we could call home. That was funny!

Point is- is should be a CHOICE to sit with others...PLUS my wife is from Peru and speaks little English....If you came into a restaurant with your spouse or SO, and the host sat you at a table with 2-4 strangers, wouldn't you wonder, "what this?".....Like I have been saying for years- if you want to sit with others, fine, go! BUT if you would like to dine alone with YOUR friends or spouse, you also should be able to do that...

Big Al

However, unless I were a first time customer, I would likely know how seating was arranged in that restaurant. Anyone who has cruised more than once knows the drill and those who want tables for two or four know to request them.

For the most part you can do as you suggest (dine alone with YOUR friends or spouse), which is why there are various seating arrangements available. Those who prefer to sit alone or with their friends can request that type of seating and the line will attempt to accommodate them. As I mentioned, MTD seems to have a good number of tables for two and four. There are also larger tables because there are also many passengers who look forward to the opportunity to meet and dine with new people. If you are unhappy with your table or tablemates, see the head waiter or maitre d' and if it is possible, your table can be changed. We have only had that happen on one occasion out of more than sixty cruises and we were moved quickly to a table and serving staff that was much more satisfactory. :)

Archived