Luggage Weights Limits and Overpackers

papilliontraveler

I would appreciate his help next time I fly, since, at 4'10ish, it doesn't matter the weight or size of my carryon, I could use the help. More often than not, I'm surrounded by burly men getting huffy while I struggle with my bag, not one of them lifting a finger to assist.

This is usually flying for work, so the underside of the seat is reserved for my laptop bag/purse and the other bag is my clothing, etc. for a couple of days in the field. And, no, I can't check it, because huffy would be exemplified by the guys I work & travel with who would have to wait for me while I wait for my luggage. (They never check anything)

As one short person to another, I feel your pain. That is why I vacation with my honey, to lift the luggage. LOL

Don't worry because if we are on the flight he would indeed help you. We shorties stick together!

I would appreciate his help next time I fly, since, at 4'10ish, it doesn't matter the weight or size of my carryon, I could use the help. More often than not, I'm surrounded by burly men getting huffy while I struggle with my bag, not one of them lifting a finger to assist.

This is usually flying for work, so the underside of the seat is reserved for my laptop bag/purse and the other bag is my clothing, etc. for a couple of days in the field. And, no, I can't check it, because huffy would be exemplified by the guys I work & travel with who would have to wait for me while I wait for my luggage. (They never check anything)

I think I help at least once per flight bring down/up luggage from the overhead. It was pretty funny this fall my wife and I flew into Guatemala City, the flight was 90% Guatemalans who must average around 5 feet women and men included. I am 6'3", DW 6'1", we must have pulled 10 bags apiece down for people on that plane!

I think I help at least once per flight bring down/up luggage from the overhead. It was pretty funny this fall my wife and I flew into Guatemala City, the flight was 90% Guatemalans who must average around 5 feet women and men included. I am 6'3", DW 6'1", we must have pulled 10 bags apiece down for people on that plane!

My husband is 6'2 and I am 5'1 AND A HALF (must count those halves) so he gets the overhead, I get the underseat. LOL

DH and I just returned from an almost 3-week Disneyworld/Monarch of the Seas cruise/Daytona Beach/visiting family etc. vacation. I tried, I really tried to pack lighter than we normally do but we still each took one large piece of luggage and one carry-on. We even did laundry twice while we were gone. We usually fly Spirit and their weight limit for checked luggage was 50 pounds when we left, but they lowered it to 40 pounds before we came back. We knew of the change, so tried to pack accordingly but one piece of luggage was 44 pounds coming back. They never said anything to us, and didn't charge us extra for it. We no longer take large rolling carry-ons, we take smaller duffle-type or tote bags so they fit under the seat in front of us. No more trying to struggle getting big pieces in and out of the overhead bins.

I don't really understand what people are packing that makes bags SO heavy. One checked bag a piece for DH and myself, neither one weighing over 25-30 lbs., one (only one) roll-aboard (shared, containing both our stuff, and well within size limit) and one personal bag each, got us through a 12 day vacation, the itinerary of which dictated that we needed an assortment of clothing (will it be chilly? will it be hot? Will one of us fall off a donkey and get dirty? - yes, it happened) And I'll add that we could have been even more organized/streamlined except that we had to rush to the airport at the last minute due to a winter storm schedule change.

I think many people must bring everything they own, in case they don't feel like wearing this, that or the other, particularly if they're going overweight for on a tropical cruise. Of course, it's none of my concern, one way or another if they want to fuss with all that stuff, but it makes me wonder...

Another thread got me to thinking about this.......again.

The second issue I have is with people and their carryons. I know most airlines allow you to have two carryons(carryon & purse, laptop, etc.). They also have size limitations which no one seems to pay attention to. This becomes very annoying when you may be toward the end of the boarding line and everyone is taking up more space than necessary with their oversized carryons.

I got really ticked when I was flying home from Vegas last month. I checked my luggage and had a purse and my laptop bag (which I also keep my jewelry in) and since we in a late boarding zone, all overhead space was gone. They told me I had to check my laptop.....???? I DON'T THINK SO. Everyone and their brother had GIANT carryons so they could save the 20 bucks for checking their bag. When I, who paid to check my items, was now supposed to check my laptop because of the el cheapos.....was not impressed.

Archived