Luggage Weights Limits and Overpackers

papilliontraveler

Another thread got me to thinking about this.......again.

I can't help but notice everytime we travel/fly, at the number of people with bags marked "heavy". Why can't they just bring another suitcase or deload some of what is in the heavy one? Two concerns are 1. why should someone else have to lug your overweight bag around? and 2. why pile more unnecessary weight onto the airplane?

The second issue I have is with people and their carryons. I know most airlines allow you to have two carryons(carryon & purse, laptop, etc.). They also have size limitations which no one seems to pay attention to. This becomes very annoying when you may be toward the end of the boarding line and everyone is taking up more space than necessary with their oversized carryons.

In the end, I don't understand why people have such a hard time following rules/guidelines. We get into these same issues with bringing on 1-big bottle of wine instead of the 2-750 bottles, etc.

Rant over.

I can't help but notice everytime we travel/fly, at the number of people with bags marked "heavy". Why can't they just bring another suitcase or deload some of what is in the heavy one? Two concerns are 1. why should someone else have to lug your overweight bag around? and 2. why pile more unnecessary weight onto the airplane?

The second issue I have is with people and their carryons. I know most airlines allow you to have two carryons(carryon & purse, laptop, etc.). They also have size limitations which no one seems to pay attention to. This becomes very annoying when you may be toward the end of the boarding line and everyone is taking up more space than necessary with their oversized carryons.

In the end, I don't understand why people have such a hard time following rules/guidelines. We get into these same issues with bringing on 1-big bottle of wine instead of the 2-750 bottles, etc.

Rant over.

Hope you feel better.

I bring one bag that is very near the weight limit because it's easier for me to handle than 2 bags and a carry on would be and because most airlines charge per bag so it's cheaper too.

My carry on is soft sided and easily fits under the seat in front of me.

I think one of the problems may be that every time you log on to a travel board you are bombarded with items that you MUST take with you otherwise your trip will be ruined! Yes. I'm exaggerating. I know that many, many posts will stress the importance of taking every item that you own with you when you travel. :)

Hope you feel better.

I bring one bag that is very near the weight limit because it's easier for me to handle than 2 bags and a carry on would be and because most airlines charge per bag so it's cheaper too.

My carry on is soft sided and easily fits under the seat in front of me.

haha

I don't know if I feel better but got it off my chest.

Sounds like you pack like we do, 1 bag close to the limit and we each have one carryon that fits under the seat in front of us.

Rant over.

if i can't lift it, i assume others can't either.

the ones moving are usually not the big burley guys you hand your luggage off to. it's usually the frail 5' framed ones.

Rant over.

This sounds like a thread that belongs in the airlines section?

I flew AA and had to zip the expansion part of my carry on closed before I boarded the plane in Miami... not sure why you think the airlines arent strict.

Rant over.

We have a large suitcase that I bought as a replacement in St Maarten for one that I had on that cruise that Carnival had twisted into a pretzel. It holds a lot. They always mark it as heavy, even though when we check it in it is under the 50 pound limit imposed by the airlines. I had little choice when purchasing it out of the country, as I had to make sure that the items that I had in my old suitcase would fit in the new one. I actually do try to put mostly clothes in that one to try to keep it as light as possible. It might be awkward, but it is definitely not heavier than allowed. So, maybe you should ask the airline why they mark bags as Heavy, when they in fact are not heavy by the airline standard.

We have a large suitcase that I bought as a replacement in St Maarten for one that I had on that cruise that Carnival had twisted into a pretzel. It holds a lot. They always mark it as heavy, even though when we check it in it is under the 50 pound limit imposed by the airlines. I had little choice when purchasing it out of the country, as I had to make sure that the items that I had in my old suitcase would fit in the new one. I actually do try to put mostly clothes in that one to try to keep it as light as possible. It might be awkward, but it is definitely not heavier than allowed. So, maybe you should ask the airline why they mark bags as Heavy, when they in fact are not heavy by the airline standard.

Do you do the curbside checkin for luggage? They weigh it in front of you. Plus if you do go over they allow you to shift things around to meet the weight requirements.

This sounds like a thread that belongs in the airlines section?

I flew AA and had to zip the expansion part of my carry on closed before I boarded the plane in Miami... not sure why you think the airlines arent strict.

Where did I say the airlines aren't strict?

I said people don't pay attention to the airlines guidelines. I have no problem whatsoever with the airlines guidelines, other people do.

Rant over.

I agree. I am a very lightweight packer.

But have to laugh- you are posting this on a board which specializes in ways to smuggle booze?

Do you do the curbside checkin for luggage? They weigh it in front of you. Plus if you do go over they allow you to shift things around to meet the weight requirements.

I have never gone over the weight requirements with my suitcase. I know that it is a large suitcase, and I pack it carefully. I weight it at home before I get to the airport, and it is weighed in again as we are checking in. The weight limit is 50 pounds, and the most it has ever been is 47. They mark it heavy regardless. Probably to protect the luggage handlers.

When you pack for a 9 or 10 day trip, you are going to have a lot with you. The poster must think that because the bag is marked as heavy, it is because you have violated the weight rule. I have never done that. But this particular bag is always tagged heavy.

In most cases it's cheaper to check one bag - the 2nd bag is usually more expensive to check than the first thus encouraging almost EVERYONE to load up a carryon and bring it onboard! (on my last flight one bag was free...2nd would have been $30).

I also agree it's easier to handle only one big suitcase instead of having a 'train'!

Im glad we can go up to 70lbs for our flights on Delta...I know hubby doesnt put that much weight in his luggage, but its nice not to have to worry about what the luggage weighs for the most part. Those who bring so much in carry on and know full well that its not going to fit in the overhead are the ones that are so annoying to us, especially hubby as hes flying from the east coast to the west coast atleast every other week. In the end, people are going to bring a lot of stuff they really dont need no matter what anyone says!

I have never gone over the weight requirements with my suitcase. I know that it is a large suitcase, and I pack it carefully. I weight it at home before I get to the airport, and it is weighed in again as we are checking in. The weight limit is 50 pounds, and the most it has ever been is 47. They mark it heavy regardless. Probably to protect the luggage handlers.

When you pack for a 9 or 10 day trip, you are going to have a lot with you. The poster must think that because the bag is marked as heavy, it is because you have violated the weight rule. I have never done that. But this particular bag is always tagged heavy.

How frustrating is that? I guess as long as they don't charge you extra on your credit card there is no harm except for it being just plain wrong.

I mentioned the sidewalk checkin only because they do it all in front of you and you can discuss it with them if they try to put the heavy tag on it. I've used the larger luggage in the past and never experienced that so I am more curious than having an answer. Things have changed enough that your story doesn't surprise me.

How frustrating is that? I guess as long as they don't charge you extra on your credit card there is no harm except for it being just plain wrong.

I mentioned the sidewalk checkin only because they do it all in front of you and you can discuss it with them if they try to put the heavy tag on it. I've used the larger luggage in the past and never experienced that so I am more curious than having an answer. Things have changed enough that your story doesn't surprise me.

I really think that they mark it heavy to protect the baggage handlers. I don't know what a typical travellers suitcase weighs (maybe 47 lbs is considered heavy compared to most).

The OP talked about people with suitcases marked heavy as if they were rule-breakers.

I certainly am not. I usually do not use the curbside check-in. If in doubt, we go to the scale when we reach the airport, and shift things if necessary. I also weigh the bag before I leave home.

It is the airlines fault that individual bags are getting heavier all the time. It only makes sense that if you get charged per bag that you are going to put more into it, lessening the number of bags that you take. Also, as other people have stated, it is easier to take 1 larger bag than 2.

I really think that they mark it heavy to protect the baggage handlers. I don't know what a typical travellers suitcase weighs (maybe 47 lbs is considered heavy compared to most).

The OP talked about people with suitcases marked heavy as if they were rule-breakers.

I certainly am not. I usually do not use the curbside check-in. If in doubt, we go to the scale when we reach the airport, and shift things if necessary. I also weigh the bag before I leave home.

It is the airlines fault that individual bags are getting heavier all the time. It only makes sense that if you get charged per bag that you are going to put more into it, lessening the number of bags that you take. Also, as other people have stated, it is easier to take 1 larger bag than 2.

You have totally misunderstood my post. I am not talking about someone like you that is underweight. I have no idea why the airline marks you heavy.

I am talking about the people that have to bring "everything in their house". I also realize it isn't breaking the rules by doing that as the airlines allow it, though they do charge for it. It is just unnecessary.

And my biggest issue is with the oversized carryons that people have to try to cram into the overhead, therefore holding up the lines, etc.

I'm a really light packer too for the most part. It can be a little annoying waiting in line at times, but I generally wait for the last boarding call to avoid that and make sure my carry-on can fit underneath the seat in front of me so don't have a need for the overhead bins.

My theory is that people load up their carry ons to keep their regular lugguage underneath the weight requirements for their regular luggage.

I also think it depends on the nature of their trip. Like if a grandparent is visiting their grandkids for the 1st time in a year, they may load their luggate up with gifts...etc...What they are packing and how much they pack will be totally different, then the next passenger who is flying away for a quick weekend trip.

As another poster indicated also, I think it depends on how much you travel. The more you travel, the more you start to guage what you can live without for a certain period of time. If you don't travel often, it may feel like everything is a necessity.

I had it down to a science - and then the airline I'm booked on for my next flight LOWERED the weight limit from 50 pounds to 40 pounds. I was usually right around 38-42 pounds - now I have to rearrange the way I normally do things to try and get down to 30-35 pounds (to leave room for any purchases while travelling ... or for variation in scales). If they can't getcha one way they'll getcha another. I'm on the hunt for newer, lighter weight bag, too - mine is at least 10 years old, and it's probably 8 pounds all by itself, lol

You have totally misunderstood my post. I am not talking about someone like you that is underweight. I have no idea why the airline marks you heavy.

I am talking about the people that have to bring "everything in their house". I also realize it isn't breaking the rules by doing that as the airlines allow it, though they do charge for it. It is just unnecessary.

In what way does it really matter to you what they bring?

To whom? you? maybe it seems necessary to them, or possibly really is.

And my biggest issue is with the oversized carryons that people have to try to cram into the overhead, therefore holding up the lines, etc.

Holding up lines, is affecting others, so I understand this.

Why in the world do you think you know what is necessary or unnessary for someone to pack?

I think that people that pack light and re-wear their clothing over and over are gross. When I go on I like to dress nicely and I enjoy bringing alot of clothing.

Saying that, I couldn't care less how big someone or small else's suitcase or carryons are- if they are heavy, they are the ones that have to pay the overage fees and lug the bags until they are checked.

Not my concern at all.

My theory is that people load up their carry ons to keep their regular lugguage underneath the weight requirements for their regular luggage.

I totally agree. I think the weight/size ratio the airlines uses has caused this. It would be great if they gave the checkin (larger) luggage weight limit a 10lb increase and decreased the carryon weight limit by 10 lbs. Everyone would be able to bring the same things but the distribution of the weight would be better suited for those overheads. Almost every time we fly my husband has to help someone lift their carry on into the overhead as the line comes to a stop from someone struggling to put it up.

my husband has to help someone lift their carry on into the overhead as the line comes to a stop from someone struggling to put it up.

I would appreciate his help next time I fly, since, at 4'10ish, it doesn't matter the weight or size of my carryon, I could use the help. More often than not, I'm surrounded by burly men getting huffy while I struggle with my bag, not one of them lifting a finger to assist.

This is usually flying for work, so the underside of the seat is reserved for my laptop bag/purse and the other bag is my clothing, etc. for a couple of days in the field. And, no, I can't check it, because huffy would be exemplified by the guys I work & travel with who would have to wait for me while I wait for my luggage. (They never check anything)

Archived