Have you attended a celebrity wine or liquor tasting?

rotaryscotty

I second Jborosara's opinion on this tasting. In fact we've done it twice. Absolutely no smoke or mirrors when tasting the appropriate varietal in the appropriate glass. Amazing. The cost is well worth it since you can take home the 4 different Riedel glasses (or have them shipped home) at a cheaper cost than actually buying them say at Macy's.

2MC

Do you (or anyone) happen to know what level of Riedel glasses are included? It would seem that 8 glasses (if you and spouse did it) would be a pain to mess with. Your suggestion of shipping is certainly a possibility. Do they give you any kind of protective package that 4 different glasses fit in? If they are the Vinum series (machine made) I probably wouldn't be interested. I'm not trying to be a snob...I just appreciate quality wineglasses.:rolleyes:

Do you (or anyone) happen to know what level of Riedel glasses are included? It would seem that 8 glasses (if you and spouse did it) would be a pain to mess with. Your suggestion of shipping is certainly a possibility. Do they give you any kind of protective package that 4 different glasses fit in? If they are the Vinum series (machine made) I probably wouldn't be interested. I'm not trying to be a snob...I just appreciate quality wineglasses.:rolleyes:

Yes they are vinums. They are great glasses for the price (I have 8 different varietals). Sure the sommelier series might be nicer but they are 3-4 times the price.

I had mine shipped, and they came by courier, very securely packaged.

I've done riedel tastings elsewhere, and the one on the ship recently was as good as any...i really only did it as a time killer and to get some more glasses.

Around the world! We hope to do it again this time out.

I've seen more positive comments about the "around the world tasting". I've yet to see one negative on this tasting, regardless of ship. Sounds like the one to recommend to everyone on Celebrity.:rolleyes:

Even though I will be doing a 15 day TA in April with the Premium Liquor Package, everyone's comments are a good reminder that it's not just the alcohol, it's the socializing that makes life fun.

Pretty much sums up what what so many of us like about cruising.!!:o

"YOU KNOW YOU'VE HAD TOO MUCH TO DRINK ON A CRUISE WHEN YOUR SPOUSE TAKES YOUR KEYS AWAY":p

• 7 years later...
On 2/24/2011 at 10:44 PM, rotaryscotty said:

I've seen more positive comments about the "around the world tasting". I've yet to see one negative on this tasting, regardless of ship. Sounds like the one to recommend to everyone on Celebrity.:rolleyes:

Even though I will be doing a 15 day TA in April with the Premium Liquor Package, everyone's comments are a good reminder that it's not just the alcohol, it's the socializing that makes life fun.

Pretty much sums up what what so many of us like about cruising.!!:o

"YOU KNOW YOU'VE HAD TOO MUCH TO DRINK ON A CRUISE WHEN YOUR SPOUSE TAKES YOUR KEYS AWAY":p

Totally agree. It's a great value for 20 bucks and you get to try a nice variety of wines. I enjoy the social aspect as well. On our last cruise they ran out of a red wine from Argentina that we had not tried. The sommelier was able to find one and four of us enjoyed the entire bottle while sitting and chatting. A great way to mingle with others.

I've enjoyed the opportunities to taste wines on every X cruise over the years. Wine tastings are rather a hobby of mine both on land and at sea.

The tutored tastings have been fun but a little patronising. Of, say, 8 wines one or two have been interesting.  

Another style of tasting that was 'different' was an untutored session which involved passengers wandering from one bottle to another. Occasionally, I was asked my opinion. The wine was pretty basic. Some food may have helped. Also, I dislike using the same glass for all of the wines being shown. No spittoons.

A vodka tasting was very much a 'Here they are! Let me know if you'd like a top-up!' Some great examples were served.

In Michael's Club, another cruiser and set up our own beer tasting. The staff were fascinated. My friend taught me a lot over 60 minutes or so.

Macallan tasting... mmm... my second favourite whisky... I'll need to force myself to try it on the Silhouette in August. 

So are the tastings fun? Yes!

Will I be enjoying another one on the Viking Raiders Cruise in August? You bet!