How far in advance do you pack?

Mamaparr

I keep our toiletry bag packed all the time, just refill when we get home for the next trip. I find it saves a lot of time and frustration since we need the same stuff for every trip, whether overnight or 3 weeks, the quantities only change. I have duplicates of everything we use at home (razors/toothbrushesetc...) so I don't have to use a list every time we pack.

The clothes, we get them ready to pack a week before to make sure we have everything. Then we leave it on a rolling rack, out of the bedroom, with folded stuff and shoes/accessories below. I pack from that the night before, or the morning of, depending on how much time we have in the morning.

We do like others do, cross pack in case one suitcase goes to a different location. We have a large rolling garment bag, so most of our evening clothes are hanging, it's so simple to unpack that way. Everything is in it's own dry cleaner bag...no wrinkles at all. The other case has our more casual wear (although we pack 1 dressy outfit into this case and 1 casual outfit into the above garment bag).

I have found that packing out of the bedroom keeps me from packing extra "just in case" clothing that is never needed. Same with the pre-packed toiletry kit, no last minute stuff goes in there, either.

This in my first cruise- but to me packing for vacation is packing for vacation. I normally create a checklist 2 weeks out, edit the list 1 week out, do my laundry 1 week out (this time I'll have to go through all my summer clothes and remember what I have since its still cold in NJ), pack a couple of days before.

Its currently exactly one month out today and I've started to create a bag of my little doodads that I'll need (ie: over the door shoe rack for the bathroom, mini soft travel cooler, highlighter for the daily itinerary etc.)

I'm going against the crowd here. We're packed at least 3 weeks in advance, usually a month.

The caveat here is that we tend to cruise just after Christmas, so there is so much going on that I need to be organized. Since it's cold at home when we travel, the clothes aren't being worn anyway. It also gives me time to get new clothes if one of the boys has outgrown their previous summer wardrobe. Sometimes it's hard to find sunscreen/bug repellant when it's snowing outside, so it gives me time to look around for that too.

We too keep some basics in our suitcases at all times. Travel sized cream, aloe, toothpaste, bar of shampoo etc are always ready to go, as is our magnetic wipe board, post-it notes, sharpie marker, passport wallet, key card holder etc.

Day before or maybe the day before that. Seven days=seven pairs of socks, etc. Throw in the tooth brush and razor and I'm good to go. It's after lunch, and it would be possible for me to start packing now and still leave today! But I am a guy. <putting on flame retardent suit> :eek:

I pull the summer clothes out of the plastic containers from under the bed and begin trying things on about 4 weeks prior to leaving. Does everything still fit? Is it still in good condition or need replacing? This gives me time to shop a bit and find the things I might need. You'd be surprised how difficult it is to find a bathing suit or shorts in January (or maybe you wouldn't) :) I print my list from last year and begin looking at what I want to take, making changes along the way, putting together outfits and laying them out in the spare room. Actual packing begins taking place the week before. Fitting things in, rearranging, eliminating, etc as I go. Formal wear goes in last the morning we leave, right before I zip the bag. We bring one carry on each and check one large bag. Cross pack so that there is a little of everything in each bag in case one gets lost.

• 4 weeks later...

I have packed as far ahead as 1 week. From past experience I have learned to use zip-lock bags for everything except suits and gowns. My DSIL turned me on to the zip-locks through her business travel.

Her reasoning to me went like this ...

#1 it saves tons of space .. I can attest it does.

#2 If for any reason TSA needs to inspect inside your luggage they will not need to unfold all your clothes. She can attest for that, LOL

#3 According to her air and movement causes wrinkles. Well both her and I agree that once arriving to where we are going to that when we open the bags there are no wrinkles.

#4 Shoes and bottles of shampoo even go into the bags along with a few extras for the trip back.

During last vacation at the end of each day what we wore went back into the zip-lock bags and into the luggage.

Wondering if I should start packing my clothes or will they be more wrinkled?Thinking 1 week prior, so I can have time to make adjustments. We are leaving in less that 2 weeks. I want to see how much space I am going to have.

Thanks

i am 5 weeks out so no clothes yet but i have started putting things in the bag i need too take. bonine, travel hair dryer/comb/brush and curling iron. my travel size hair sprits and wrinkle releaser for any wrinkles i might get. new batteries for the camera, lanyards and my small over the shoulder purse i use in the ports. things are in the zip lock bags and organized. when i see i am putting too much stuff in i dont need i start going through it again and scale down. also with my clothes. they go in, half comes out and i still rethink what i have. i never use all the closthes i take and i only have 2 pair of shoes--tennis, dress and flip flops for the cabin. carry on is all i take. no checked.

I get everything together about 2 weeks before the cruise and lay them out in the spare bedroom. Small items, toiletries, meds etc. are packed in the cases they travel in but clothes aren't actually packed until the day before. BTW, we use Eagle Creek pack-it folders with the contents folded with tissue paper. Nothing wrinkles.

I was thinking about getting a couple of those Eagle Creek folders. Glad to know that they work! :)

So very right with your post. We were zip-lock converts after a trip to Hawaii, when my well-endowed daughter's carry-on got picked for a luggage check. She still has emotional scars from seeing the agent flip open the carry-on and her bras tumbling onto the table and then the floor in full view of our entire party. We use the 2-1/2 gallon for our shoes as they'll hold 2 pairs, and our shorts and t's. This is our most used tip from this message board from a few years ago!!! Also, Downey Wrinkle Release now comes in those travel sizes. It's FABULOUS!

I have packed as far ahead as 1 week. From past experience I have learned to use zip-lock bags for everything except suits and gowns. My DSIL turned me on to the zip-locks through her business travel.

Her reasoning to me went like this ...

#1 it saves tons of space .. I can attest it does.

#2 If for any reason TSA needs to inspect inside your luggage they will not need to unfold all your clothes. She can attest for that, LOL

#3 According to her air and movement causes wrinkles. Well both her and I agree that once arriving to where we are going to that when we open the bags there are no wrinkles.

#4 Shoes and bottles of shampoo even go into the bags along with a few extras for the trip back.

During last vacation at the end of each day what we wore went back into the zip-lock bags and into the luggage.

Archived