How far in advance do you pack?

Mamaparr

Wondering if I should start packing my clothes or will they be more wrinkled?Thinking 1 week prior, so I can have time to make adjustments. We are leaving in less that 2 weeks. I want to see how much space I am going to have.

Thanks

I personally don't pack until the night before but have a list that I keep saved on my computer and tweet about a month prior to leaving.

If you don't think everything is going to fit, I definitely would pack a little earlier then that though just in case, or at least do a trial run. I would hate it if I had to adjust everything right before leaving.

Doesn't matter whether it's a week or a month before - creased is creased (lol)

Have a "practice" run packing and unpacking till you get what you want to take (always too much anyway) and roll your clothes up - less creases. Anything that is special and has creases in - hang on a hanger behind the bathroom door - turn the shower on full hot - close the bathroom door and let them "steam" - it works

I'm a last minute packer. I was still pulling warm from the dryer clothes out of the laundry basket to put in the suitcase before my HM while the car to the AP was in the driveway. :eek:

For this cruise I hope to pack the day before. I have started to put clothes in the spare room.

I usually pack and unpack 2-3 times before the cruise. I edit each time so that I can carry the least amount. I tend to overpack at the beginning and after all the edits, I still come home with unworn clothes:D.

Yes, this is my strategy too. One of these days I'll get it right! :o

Do you even roll suit pants and evening gown?, or just fold and put in bottom.

We roll everything, including suits and dresses, but for my long gown, I fold in half with a plastic bag or paper in between, and a couple of items that keep it from getting a crease seems to do the trick for us.

I lay everything out in a spare room and pack throughout the week. THe gown and suit are the last to go in. We'll be driving again this year so I'll probably just hang them in the car until we have to embark, then put them in the suitcase.

First I make out a list and then start putting things in my suitcases 2 weeks before leaving. I roll instead of fold as this makes less wrinkles. Last minute stuff goes in the day I am leaving. I cross-pack..........for example if I am taking 4 bathing suits I put 2 in one suitcase and 2 in the other just in case one suitcase gets lost. I do this with everything....underwear, shirts, shoes, etc.

I have my usual packing list and pack everything but the clothes. I do "isolate" the clothes, however and the suitcase in a spare room so that I can make sure they get packed but also that they are not packed so long they get wrinkled. I pack Downy wrinkle release and use it--it works well.

The items that aren't clothes can go in immediately. Cross them off your packing list and you are ready to pack the clothes the night before.:D

My 10th cruise is upcoming and I'm openly and without shame admitting that on every single trip I have taken, whether it's business, pleasure, land or cruise, I have to have a test run. Now it gets even sadder because I've tried folding in half, rolling, dry-cleaner bags and dancing around the suitcase on one foot while swinging a chicken and chanting and my clothes still come out with wrinkles. I just put Downey Wrinkle Release in with my clothes, and after sticking them in the bathroom for a little steam, use the Downey and tell myself that I'll pack better for the next cruise.

My 10th cruise is upcoming and I'm openly and without shame admitting that on every single trip I have taken, whether it's business, pleasure, land or cruise, I have to have a test run. Now it gets even sadder because I've tried folding in half, rolling, dry-cleaner bags and dancing around the suitcase on one foot while swinging a chicken and chanting and my clothes still come out with wrinkles. I just put Downey Wrinkle Release in with my clothes, and after sticking them in the bathroom for a little steam, use the Downey and tell myself that I'll pack better for the next cruise.

LOL! :D;)

I'm pretty much the same, except we're usually on a ship with a laundry, so a trip there on the sea day suffices...

Jo.

Roll the dress up. Roll it around a T-shirt (that has been rolled) Roll the suit pants around another T shirt that has been rolled - starting from the bottom up. Same with the jacket. Have a practice run with something you already have - see if it works for you

Just re read my other thread - and mean't to say the bathroom "on the ship" when you are unpacking. (I bet you guessed that anyway)

Leaving on Friday and haven't got the suitcase out yet. Did buy some sunscreen though. If I start too soon, I just bring too much. I use one airline size carry-on suitcase and a large purse. For 4 of us we will check one suitcase with liquids, snorkel gear and the men's suits.

We cruise on the 11th of March, but leave the 9th from home to travel. I have most of my stuff washed, and folded and neatlly stacked in my closet. Dresses and nicer tops are hanging up. My kids' stuff is already washed up and stacked as well, along with their shoes. my daughter had a couple of new dresses taken in and I have a couple of new tops that we are waiting for from my tailor. Next weekend I am going to get most of the extra little toiletries, etc packed and go through my clothing pile and figure out exactly what I am bringing. One of my favorite parts of a winter holiday is packing summer/tropical stuff, yipee!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I once told a friend to hang his clothes in the bathroom, turn on the steam and the wrinkles would go away or at least decrease. He called about 15 minutes later and said "now how do I get them dry..." He hung them IN the shower. The hotel staff is still laughing, I'm sure. I would also love to actually SEE someone do that roll thing. I have my clothes so screwed up when I try it that it looks like they've been retrieved from a dumpster. What on earth am I missing????

Wondering if I should start packing my clothes or will they be more wrinkled?Thinking 1 week prior, so I can have time to make adjustments. We are leaving in less that 2 weeks. I want to see how much space I am going to have.

Thanks

I select clothes about one week in advance and lay them out in a spare bedroom. The actual packing doesn't take place till just a day (or maybe two) before departure because inevitably I will change my mind on clothing choices.

I get everything together about 2 weeks before the cruise and lay them out in the spare bedroom. Small items, toiletries, meds etc. are packed in the cases they travel in but clothes aren't actually packed until the day before. BTW, we use Eagle Creek pack-it folders with the contents folded with tissue paper. Nothing wrinkles.

We usually bring 2 suitcases: one small carry-on size for "stuff" and the other much bigger for cloths and shoes.

The "stuff" suitcase will get packed at least a week ahead of time with sunscreen, books, cameras, sodas and all the miscellaneous "little" things on our packing list. The rest of that case will get packed with shoes we're unlikely to wear over the next week, space permitting.

Like many others, we lay our cloths out in a spare room a few days before and pack them the night before, but I do like to do a dry run as others have said.

We always roll our cloths, other than the formalwear, but I think this time we'll try rolling the formalwear around a t-shirt as suggested.

I've never thought of using the bathroom as an ad hoc steamer, but it's a brilliant idea. That idea's going to come in handy, I am sure.

i have computer lists -- one set for prescriptions that go into a special medicval bag for our carry-ons -- and another list that details exactly what and how much goes into each suitcase

run off lists one week before we leave for the airport hotel -- mainly to update prescriptions and get them filled

4 days before we leave luggage comes out of the attic

2 days before we leave -- we pack

1 day before we leave suitcases go into car

Archived