28 Day Sapphire South Pacific fashion questions and other girly stuff

SissyG

The laundry bag will be in the closet, but it is one of those flimsy paper bags that tears really easily, so you can't get a whole lot in it, and I usually have to ask for extras. A bag of laundry is offered to be done at least once for $15 or $20 for all you can stuff in - if you roll stuff tightly you can get quite a lot in one of those.

I have been taking a collapsible mesh laundry hamper with me on cruises for several years. Virtually weightless and takes up no space in my suitcase, and fits easily into the corner at "my half" of the closet. When it comes time to trundle off to the self service laundry room, it has handles for easy carrying. I am bringing several of the Purex laundry sheets so I won't have to buy whatever detergent is available in the dispensing machine.

Mary Lou

Ditto on the laundry sheets and the mesh hamper..I also throw in color catchers so I can mix my loads up a little if I have to.

I ordered a coverup short dress from http://www.jamsworld.com

and it was delivered yesterday. They have such pretty prints and I love the new dress...It's the Hattie style..will be cooler than pants and a top in the humidity. I'm thinking of ordering a top from them too. The material is a rayon but the softest rayon I have ever felt.

One of the reasons that I like Tevas so much is they have a little bit of an arch in the sole and I need that. They are really comfortable for me and I like that I can wear them in or out of the water and can walk long distances in them.

Hello All,

Sissy, this is already a fun thread! Thanks for starting it up.

My biggest problem is going to be taking way too much. We are driving to the port and that always spells DANGER :eek:

One thing I do when we drive, is leave all our clothes on their hangers. It is heavenly to open your suitcase and hang up everything in two minutes!

I take many pairs of shoes because I never know what state my feet will be in....if they swell, I have options.

Cheers, Denise

Denise, I know swelling can be a problem for me sometimes too and I have even taken Isotoner ballet type slippers with me on a cruise to wear if this happens. I have silver satin and black velvet, there have been many nights that I've been very thankful that I threw them in my suitcase. They are cushy and made of fabric so they give and do not restrict when you put them on, and the great thing about them is unless someone gets down and examines your feet they cannot tell they are slippers, I only wear them with pants though, might not work so well with a dress or skirt.

I know that most people are of the opinion that the drinking water on the ship is safe to drink because it has been desalinated, but if I drink it my fingers and feet and anything else on me that can swell does...I don't even drink the iced tea anymore...instead I take different flavored crystal light in the little single serving plastic tube thingies and add to bottled water....works for me.

Hmmmmmmm, thanks Sissy. I never thought about the water! Drink lots of ice tea...and a few Bloody Mary's, that I have identified as a problem :D Way too much sodium in the juice.

What I have noticed, however, is if we don't fly I don't usually have swelling. On our MR cruise in January, we did fly to San Diego. Only 70 minutes in the air, I had no swelling until Manzanillo when I ate salsa in the port. 10 to 1, it was filled with MSG which causes immediate swelling for me.

Cheers, Denise

Also a big Chico's fan but try http://www.BGauze.com and http://www.Mariaisgauze.com for high quality cotton gauze! Breathes, lightweight, can hand wash in the sink and hanger-dry..... I just did 23 days in the Caribbean with combo of sand, ivory and white (with one black skirt) packed all in a carry-on and worked GREAT!! Plan on doing the same for our 34 nights BTB South Pacific next January.....

Pink Suitcase - check out overstock.com and also their affilliate Eziba (they just had hot pink yesterday in lightweight cases bye Heys in a couple of styles...) you may need a member to 'invite' you so you can email me sherri.tillger@comcast.net if you want an invitation so you can view..... Happy Cruising from an inveterate carry on only packer!!

Great thread with some wonderful ideas. After having a wet piece of luggage from a rain as we were flying out of San Juan, we now line both the top and bottom of our bags with kitchen drawstring garbage bags. Fortunately, we were on our way home so the wet clothes were not a major problem. We can use the bags for dirty clothes during the cruise and various other things. We always take at least one rolling garment bag for hanging clothes. As Denise says, it is great to take those clothes (on their hangers) out of the bag and hang them quickly in the closet. I usually put each garment in a dry cleaning bag and they don't wrinkle. I would love to pack for 28 days with only a carry on, but I don't think it is going to happen! :) I have not had a problem with swelling but it seems to be a fairly common problem on cruises. Sissy, great suggestion about the Tevas. I have had problems getting all the sand out of my "water shoes". I can see that the Tevas would be easy to wash. Hope everyone is having a wonderful day. We are getting lots of rain in Tennessee, but I will take the rain rather than snow and ice.

Great idea about the Crystal Light tubes to add to bottles water. I drink Crystal Light peach mango green tea all day long, all year round. I never thought about buying the ones to add to bottled water for cruising. I have a problem with swelling during cruises. I got a prescription from my doctor for low dose Lasix tablets that I take along in case I have a problem with squeezing into some shoes, but, of course can only take a dose on a sea day.

Thanks to to everyone who posts links to sites you like to order from. That's very helpful.

Mary Lou

Also a big Chico's fan but try http://www.BGauze.com and http://www.Mariaisgauze.com for high quality cotton gauze! Breathes, lightweight, can hand wash in the sink and hanger-dry..... I just did 23 days in the Caribbean with combo of sand, ivory and white (with one black skirt) packed all in a carry-on and worked GREAT!! Plan on doing the same for our 34 nights BTB South Pacific next January.....

Great, great websites! Truly my kind of clothes. I love Chico's also. There is no way I could ever pack in one carry on. I am wildly excited when I get everything in one suitcase with a carry on. Not counting DH's stuff. He gets his own suitcase.

DH wears a size 13 shoe, so I pack my shoes inside of his. Saves some room!

Cheers, Denise

OMG Denise, that is too funny...packing your shoes inside his. We usually tuck belts, socks, and any other little things we can inside shoes. I also put small things inside all my evening bags.

Robert loves clothes too and even though we both really hate the idea in theory of schlepping 4 large bags and 2 carryons that is what we always wind up bringing...I love SW airlines now more than ever since AA upped their baggage fees. We are the kind of people that bring our coffee pot, coffee, unbreakable champagne and cocktail glasses, fun cocktail napkins, our own insulated coffee mug, a collapsible cooler for the beach and actually anything else we want or think we will need as long as it fits and our luggage weighs under 50 pounds each...so we get out of here with 200 pounds + our carryons...sounds ridiculous! Experience has not made our lists shorter...LOL

OH MY, OH MY, Love all the stuff you take. Holy Moly, Girl!!!! We too appreciate Southwest's baggage policy.

We do take snorkel equipment and all my cameras and related stuff!!

I have learned when we are going to be in warm weather to remember I walk around in a bathing suit and cover up most of the day.

This is such a fun thread. Thanks again for starting it.

Cheers, Denise

We do have a tendency to pack on the heavy side especially on longer cruises.

Yesterday I had a hair appointment and beforehand had decided I wanted a totally new hairstyle. I went from the bob that I have worn for a few years to a super short cut and even changed color..not real sure I like the new color but willing to give it a try, it might need a little tweaking to get it the right shade of blonde. The style will be great for the cruise..it will look the same before and after being out in the wind...LOL

I like the dress I bought at Jams World so much that I think I'm going to order a top too..the fabric is so soft and comfy to touch.

Sisy

Bobbie, I always take my Tevas sandals

What type of Tevas do you wear? I have a pair that the ribbon straps give me blisters whenever I wear them. I like the idea of the sandals so the sand can wash through but the blisters on the top of my heel make it a deal breaker. I'd love any suggestions.

I'm sorry that your Tevas do that, I guess I was lucky...they are just the rubber footbed with ribbon like straps that close with velcro in front of my ankle and across the base of my toes...I have had mine since 2004 and they have held up great and have been comfy right out of the box. Sissy

I ordered a short dress in the Hattie style, the one with the little ruffles on the bottom, I think the pattern is called cottage bouquet. I love the colors in the waterlilies and Koi pattern and would love to have a top in that design just haven't decided which style I want to order. I love so many of the prints too what I wasn't aware of is how soft this fabric would be..it will be a really comfortable dress or top to wear.

Donna, have you had any luck finding your pink suitcases yet?

Sissy, how do the sizes run for Jam's World? I'm a bit on the "fluffy" side, so sometimes things that fit the top aren't so good in the tummy area, or what fits the tummy is baggy on top. I hate not being the same size all over! I rarely buy mail order clothes for that reason.

I would say they run a little large, or maybe it is just the style I chose. I too am a bit fluffy and large busted and that is the reason that I ordered the Hattie style dress, it's not form fitting like some of the other dresses....I ordered the XL and wear 12 and 14's and it fits me well.

MY luggage is taupe and I bought it because I thought it was a little different, easy to locate on the carousel and because I thought it would never look dirty....WRONG, the airlines seem to manage to get black hard to remove gunk on it everytime we travel...Last time it also got wet sitting outside at DFW on our way home...so going to try to use some foam upholstery cleaner on it to try to get it looking ok...unless someone has a better idea. I use Febreeze on the inside to freshen them when we take then down from our attic before a trip and it works great.

All my luggage doesn't match...I had to buy a black one too...Robert has navy blue, his always looks great..doesn't show dirt. Both ours are Costco, have lasted for years and still don't show any wear.

I'm enjoying your thread and quite green with envy that I'm not going too ;)

Try using carpet cleaning foam on your luggage. If you do get it clean, I'd do a waterproofing seal on it. Luggage gets so dirty because airlines place it face down on conveyor belts. That prevents the wheels from breaking. It also leaves black gunk on your bags.

Thanks for the tip Happy ks.

Since you are right there is CA you could just jump right onto the Sapphire, I think there are still a few cabins available.

Flamomo, are you thinking of ordering from Jam's World? Which style and pattern? I am still mulling over if I want to order the top...I love it but when I showed it to Robert he said....hmmm, kind of busy...now I have been married to him long enough, over 50 years, to know that is less than a thumbs up from him. Sissy

Aha! Here we are. This is going to be a helpful thread. WIth 28 days to pack for, we can all use ideas that may make it easier.

I guess one good thing is not having to be concerned about packing for international flights and some of their restrictions. As I recall it was a bit more restrictive. Of course, almost any airline is more restrictive than Southwest, my favorite carrier.

Mary Lou

Hey Mary Lou, just wanted to say hi and tha we are headed back to Hawaii next month on the Golden. We just couldn't stay away too long.

Bob and Patti

Sissy, how do the sizes run for Jam's World? I'm a bit on the "fluffy" side, so sometimes things that fit the top aren't so good in the tummy area, or what fits the tummy is baggy on top. I hate not being the same size all over! I rarely buy mail order clothes for that reason.

Hey Sissy!

Me too, flamono - IE: I am also on the fluffy side! I looked at Jam's World and loved several things there BUT I wondered the very same thing - Would there sizes fit me? I know when I buy on HSN or QVC exactly what size to buy but not sure on Jams World if their beautiful clothes will fit my fluffy side. :p

Archived