28 Day Sapphire South Pacific fashion questions and other girly stuff

SissyG

It's really hard for me to understand why some people like and even get great joy and satisfaction when they exercise and then there are others like myself that hate just about everything that the idea of a gym and exercise bring to mind, the sweatiness, the soreness, having to look at all the young hardbodies and even resent the time it takes to do it, I hate it all. My DH Robert is one of those who loves it and is always ready to go to the gym, take a run or go on a bike ride for several miles, he has run 13 marathons and runs regulary even at almost 70. He has been gently suggesting we start back at the gym for some time and now that I can't use the excuse that I don't want to go out because it is cold and or snowing and have run out of other excuses I think I'm going to have to give in start next week on Monday. Yes, it has to wait until Monday because that is like starting a new diet it has to be on a Monday...Oh, I know that if I would lose weight my clothes would look and fit better and I'm sure that once the initial soreness was gone I would feel better so why oh why do I resist so much.

My question to you is what are you doing to get ready for this cruise, a special diet, exercise, a fitness regime, maybe walking 2 or 3 times a week, what are your plans and goals for the next 7 months before this cruise? I've heard there is strength in numbers, maybe we can help one another by sharing our goals and success with one another. Anyone interested? There is one motivating factor that I'm trying to keep in mind and that is the thought I will have to wear a bathing suit in public, something that brings horror to most woman. Sissy

Sissy....OMG...are we married to the same man??? Mine woke me up this morning at 6:30 and said "do you want to go to the gym?" :eek:. I must admit that I have always been a "gym rat" and enjoy exercise. However, the knees haven't been cooperating for the last two years and I've really slacked off, resulting in my current "fluffy" state. Anyway, my reply to him was "let's wait til Monday" :D. So....Monday it is!!!

On our Feb 19th Mexican Riviera I actually lost a pound....not by exercising, but by not going to the Horizon Court. Our cabin was on deck 8 in the front of the ship and it just wasn't worth the hike up to the Horizon in the middle of the afternoon or right before bed. And I was determined to not over indulge whenever I was around food. Here at home, it's a little harder cause the kitchen is just steps away and when I'm watching tv, those cookies and chips and chocolate are constantly calling my name :(. I also had to buy a new bathing suit for that cruise and THAT was a ghastly eye opener. :D

Since we got home (and I found that lost pound), I am trying to eat more fruit. First thing in the morning, I am going (notice the future tense??? :rolleyes:) cut up lots of it so it will be in the frig and easy to grab.....TODAY, not next Monday.

Andi

Ok Andi, Monday it is! We have been married way too long and my DH has learned it is not a safe thing to wake me early and to even hint going to the gym upon waking is justifiable grounds for murder or divorce I'm pretty sure...LOL,

I had knee joint replacement surgery in Sept. 2009 and with the 6 months of inactivity before the surgery and the restricted activity since I now weigh more than ever before. So not only for appearance sake but also because I do care about my health I know I need to become more active. Hopefully we can get a few others on our roll call to make it fun for us to compare the trials and tribulations of diet and exercise together.

I used to go to the community fitness center 5-6 days a week and used the elliptical machines, but last year, I traveled so often that I fell out of the habit. I have tried walking outdoors, and my knees objected, so I had to stop doing that.

Now I am way too sedentary, and I get mad at myself for it. But so far not upset enough to get myself motivated to get back to the fitness center.

My weight stays the same as it has been for the past 7 or 8 years, but gravity is taking it's toll, and things have gotten "redistributed".

I have two reasons to get in shape. One reason is the cruise! Another is that our daughter is getting married this summer! I LOVE to walk and am outside every day that the weather allows. However, I don't love to go to the gym. The walking is great but I could use some of the toning that comes from going to the gym. I tried on swimsuits a few weeks ago. It was not fun! I'm not sure that any amount of exercise or weight loss would make me look great in a swimsuit. Thank goodness for cover ups!

Beth, I agree you have 2 excellent reasons to want to look your best, the cruise and your daughter's wedding. I remember when our daughter got married 14 years ago I was very slim and felt great in my MOB dress. Have you bought your MOB dress yet? You are lucky that you love walking, it is so great for you. Maybe if you carried some little hand weights and swung your arms while walking it would produce the results you are looking for.

A few days ago I got a Fresh Produce catalog in the mail and it had a 25% off the total purchase coupon code, springsave, just in case anyone is interested...so not wanting to waste it I ordered a cute black ruffle around the V-neck cap sleeve tank and a black cardigan that I can wear with it...I never wear sleeveless anymore without something to cover my upper arms. Thought this would be great with white pants and silver sandals for casual nights...I am going to try to dress down a bit on this South Pacific cruise on the casual nights...I tend to get a little too dressy sometimes. That's Ok on some cruises but I remember that casual nights seemed a little more casual in the south seas cruises and I want to feel comfortable.

Sissy

Beth....I agree....a wedding is certainly a big incentive....go for it!

Ok, so I took all the clothes off the exercise bike and actually got on it this morning :rolleyes:. I've decided to keep my "exercise journal" right on my daily calendar so that I see it EVERY morning when I log on. I also should go back to the weight watchers trick of writing down everything I eat.....hmmmmmm??? Off to cut up some fruit....

Andi

I've done the weight loss already. I lost 27 pounds from the end of May 2010 through January.

I USED to be one of those that loved exercise. I was a bit addicted to it and still have more than 200 DVD workouts, lol. But my health took a nose dive in 2006, then in 2007 I developed a very painful bunnion which kept me from even walking much. In 2008 I had foot surgery to correct the bunnion and 6 weeks later, major abdominal surgery, so that laid me up for a few more months. I'm just now trying to get back into getting SOME kind of regular exercise.

I can tell you that I am NOT addicted anymore. :D It's darned hard to get motivated once out of the habit.

For the weight loss, I started out by just watching portions and only eating when hungry. I even lost weight while on two cruises doing that. From May to June I lost 10 pounds--just watching portions. Then in June, we got Weight Watcher's at work, so I was able to have that support and their program helped me lose the rest.

Yet, I still struggle with the exercise. :o

Gosh Donna, you really had a lot to deal with for a while there but glad that it turned out well and you are feeling ok now. I understand that recovering from bunion surgery is very difficult.

About the exercise, you already know how I feel about it....Congrats on the 27 pound loss, that's great.

After several years of not being able to eat any bread at all I found a gluten free bread last year that I loved, probably a little too much. Their bread products include foccacia, raisin bread, a brown bread and muffins, so think I will stop eating these and cut my portions by about half and increase fruits and veggies and drink a ton of water. Hope that and exercise will show some results. I was thinking about weight watchers but didn't know if it would work well with a gluten free diet...I know little or nothing about how weight watchers works, the only weight loss program I have used before is Jenny Craig and I loved it and it worked but can't use it now because most of their food contains gluten. Sissy

I too have been up and down the scale all my life. About a year ago I discovered Jazzercise and now I am addicted! As long as I am in town, I go just about every day and sometimes even twice. I have also been counting calories and fat grams. The combination of the exercise and "if I bite it, I write it", I have lost 40 lbs since July.

The Jazzercise is great because you can go at your own speed. There are the young hardbodies as well as the not so young and extremely "fluffy", all trying to improve their health.

Just trying to keep this up until cruise time and then take the stairs, walk the deck and watch the portions! No gym for me!

Barb

Yeah, I have a hard time making myself go out to exercise, so it's videos or nothing for me, lol.

Sissy, I did pretty well with WW. I ate all my own foods, of course, but if you can eat fiber, dairy and protein, you would probably have an even easier time than I did. In addition to gluten and dairy, I also have to restrict my fiber and fat. Weight Watchers has a new program in which they are encouraging eating fruits, veggies and lean proteins. Fruits and most veggies are considered "free" foods.

I think I will try streaming exercise videos via NewFLix first, to see if I feel it is something I can do, before I go buy any. I have looked at them in the stores, but have no idea which one to buy, so I will see how the ones on NetFlix are before I decide.

I have done WW a couple of times and had success. They did have special programs from diabetics. I bet they have a gluten free one now.

Their new program would not work for me at all. I love fruit way too much. Fruit has a lot of sugar. I can't see how they made it a "free" food. Think bears, they eat blackberries and salmon :D

I am walking every day again which feels great. Have lost 13 pounds since September. I attribute that to my "crochet" diet. Crocheting every night keeps me from snacking while watching TV. It is a win win. Lots of hats, blankets and scarves have been made!

Have a great day. Off to San Francisco with the "house guest". Hoping to walk around Golden Gate Park....if we don't get blown away!

Cheers, Denise

We're not going to make it to the gym today, but will do exercises with my weights and other equipment later.

I'm going to start the half portions and watch the carbs starting today, too.

Too cold to walk, in the low 40's with a mean wind chill, so it would be miserable out there...no, that's not just a new excuse because even Robert said he didn't want to go out in it.

Good luck to everyone who is excited about getting ready for this cruise. It will be such fun when we get to meet one another in person. Sissy

Sissy, no luck on the pink suitcase yet. I am kicking myself because that my suitcase is a Delsey and I bet the one mentioned earlier was a match! I've been too busy at work to do much Internet time, so I didn't get to look at the site until Friday night! Dang, lol. The search goes on.

If it's a Delsey, try Marshalls and TJMaxx. Also do a saved search in ebay and have them send you email when anything new is listed. Or just check frequently. I bought a purse at Marshall's on Saturday and need to return as they forgot to remove the anti theft and I'll look and see what they have. I seem to remember seeing something bright pink.

I think I saw a bright pink DVF on ebags as well.

I picked up a new 28" travelpro from ebags just before Christmas in Chestnut and 2 new (26" and 22")travelpro in black at their outlet in Orlando when I was there last month. I should be all set for a few more years but I like luggage like I like shoes and buy too much.

We're not going to make it to the gym today, but will do exercises with my weights and other equipment later.

. Sissy

Same thing for me......did 20 minutes on the exercise bike, then some work with the hand weights....going to the gym is such a hassle :rolleyes:

Denise.....I like the crochet diet....and you're right....my biggest problem is snacking while watching tv. I am going to put my stretch band right next to my chair and use it whenever those chips are calling my name from the kitchen.

Andi

I guess I am skip out of luck because I don't crochet! I'm also a late night tv watching snacker and have decided that I'm going to rid the cupboards of all those snackies that I like...so only fruit or herbal tea or lowfat yogurt to tempt me...I like lowfat yogurt for breakfast but know that I probably won't go near it at night so it will be fruit or tea. Sissy

Bought some real cute Land's End Mary Jane water shoes couple of weeks ago and just got around to wearing them yesterday...oh oh...they are rubbing the side of my little toe :eek:....any suggestions??

Andi

try a piece of mole skin on the spot that is being rubbed.

Can you send them back for the next larger size or will that be too big?

Can you send them back for the next larger size or will that be too big?

No, they are the right size. After buying these black and white ones ( that fit except for the slight rubbing on one foot :rolleyes:) at the store, I went online( Land's End website) and saw last year's model on sale but they only had a larger size. It was such a good sale ($9.95) and IN PINK so I couldn't pass it up....they are definitely a tad too big but I'm going to wear them anyway....did I mention that they are PINK :D. I will try the moleskin thing...thanks.

Time to get on that exercise bike!!!!

Andi

I woke up during the night last night and couldn't get back to sleep so started thinking about what I have bought for this cruise and actually putting outfits together....GEEZ, I think I have already bought just about all I actually need except for 2 new pair of white pants to replace older white pants...I hate old white pants, they just don't have that crispness and fresh look I think white pants should have. Anyway, what am I going to do...7 months to go and I love to shop and how am I going to resist when all the cute new stuff comes out. Last year I went through my closets and got rid of anything that I didn't like, didn't fit or had not worn for a couple of years and have been buying like crazy since. Does anyone else have this problem...do you buy clothes in preparation for a cruise and then when it comes time to pack do you have way more than you need or find things you totally forgot you had bought? Sissy

Last year I went through my closets and got rid of anything that I didn't like, didn't fit or had not worn for a couple of years and have been buying like crazy since. Does anyone else have this problem...do you buy clothes in preparation for a cruise and then when it comes time to pack do you have way more than you need or find things you totally forgot you had bought? Sissy

Oh yeah!!! I have clothes that I totally forgot I had. They were packed away nice and neatly for the next cruise. I pack way too much because I have lots of clothes I like that I only seem to wear when cruising. Isn't that nuts??

I must say that when we cruised in 2007, I overdid the packing to the point where I have cut back. I keep telling myself, bathing suits and cover ups during the day does not require 10 pair of shorts and capris for daytime....on a 7 day cruise. LOL :D

Time for my walk. Speaking of which, we went into San Francisco yesterday and walked for several hours. It was wonderful.

Cheers, Denise

Oh oh.....I think I'm in the wrong crowd here :p.......on cruises, I usually pack a few cute outfits and then end up always wearing the same old, worn, comfortable tshirts and capri's with my Adidas flip flops.....used to always wear my pink Crocs but discovered they aren't the safest things when walking on the wet Lido deck.

Andi

Archived