28 Day Sapphire South Pacific fashion questions and other girly stuff

SissyG

I bought this IMAN Global Chic Jet...Set...Go! Fashion Diva Duffle Roller

to use as the one bag I roll on with me onto the ship or if needed the plane.

I got the zebra one. When I bought them I originally wanted the Leopard one but they had sold out of that one - so I got my 2nd favorite.

I love this bag because its rollers are on the thin side not the wide side.

Makes it easy to pull behind me on the plane or anywhere actually.

Oh, it is quite sizable ~ and it holds my computer, my meds, at least one set of inner and outer clothes and everything else of value I do not want to put in a large suitcase.

Here is the link - I tried to copy the picture but it would not let me.

http://www.hsn.com/iman-global-chic/iman-global-chic-jet-set-go-fashion-diva-duffle-roller_p-6163232_xp.aspx?webm_id=0&web_id=6163232&sf=im&attr=5438&ocm=im|5438&prev=hp!5438&ccm=im|5438

Ooh! I like the looks of that, Grace, and I see what you mean about the wheels. It would be nice to be able to wheel a carry-on down the aisle of a plane.

I'd like, but don't need any new luggage, as what I have is all in pretty good condition.

I wish all my luggage would either wear out or otherwise need replaced at the same time. I'd love some that all the pieces are at least a similar color. Every time I have needed to replace one, I can never find a color that matches the remaining pieces.

I don't plan to buy anything new for this cruise. I have so many closets full of stuff I bought on sale at season end and put away and then forgot about, not to mention a lot that is "what was I thinking?". That was before I retired.

I try to stick to a couple of colors for evening like black and navy, and I have one formal outfit that I love - a black crepe with gold trim sailor pant suit that wrinkles and I almost never bring anymore - and one that I don't love but is pretty wrinkle proof - a black knit type of dress that is suppose to be tea length but on me is long. I will bring the black dress, one pair of low healed black shoes, maybe my black strappy sandles but they don't work well in hot weather. And a few pairs of slacks with nice tops.

Daytime is shorts and t tops. I have some knit dress things that I like when we go to Europe but they are 10 years or more out of style.

2 swim suits 2 coverups.

Sun hats and caps.

Does anyone else have this problem...do you buy clothes in preparation for a cruise and then when it comes time to pack do you have way more than you need or find things you totally forgot you had bought? Sissy

and then end up always wearing the same old, worn, comfortable tshirts and capri's with my Adidas flip flops

Um, yes, and yes, lol. I ALWAYS buy stuff for whatever cruise I go on...not necesarily clothing though, and yes, JUST found some stuff I bought and forgot about, lol. And, YES, I always tend to wear the same comfy things.

I tend to bring the same stuff I wear every day here at home....crop pants and tanks. No shorts and no bathing suits for me, so it's crops in hot weather.

I have a few crop pants I can bring, but I'd like to find at least a couple more to supplement.

We won't be doing formal, but I would like to bring something that I would feel appropriate in if we want to walk around or have dessert in the dining room or something, so I'll be looking for a nicer pair of crops and some nice sandals.

All my sandals are VERY casual, so a nice sparkly pair would be great.

So, it's that and a SUITCASE if I can ever make up my mind what I want to do, lol.

Leave that dress behind.

I have a confession to make........I don't even own a dress....I wear pants even for formal events :o. I used to have decent looking knees, legs and ankles but age and varicose veins have taken their toll (at least, in my self image)....so..... no shorts, just capris.

Andi

I used to love to wear dresses and loved to wear heels and especially loved colors...but then my knees and feet wore out and now I can only wear flats. I cannot even think of wearing flats with a short dressy dress so I only wear pants now.

Since several of you are also lovers of all things Chico, I want to share something with you. They have a pair of silk shantung ankle pants called Ava pants, I liked them when they were full price and now love them at clearance price, but since they don't stretch like travelors and knit pants I was unsure of the correct size. The other day I decided I better order them before they completely disappeared from the sale section, usually I wear aChico's 2 but wanted a 2.5 which they were out of...so decided to order a 2 and a 3 and see what worked and maybe I could have the 3's altered or maybe I would lose weight and the 2's would fit. When I told the customer rep what I was doing and why she told me to keep checking back for a 2.5, well today 2.5 showed up in the size range available for these pants along with other sizes that were missing the other day...I wonder how a pair of pants that has gone to clearance and has been there since right after Christmas can get an influx of new sizes...this is the very first time I have encountered this with Chicos, usually something tht goes on sale sells out of sizes and is gone forever. Now I have 3 pair of the same pants on their way to me...between the 3 I hope I find a fit. Sissy

Sissy....good luck with the Chico's pants. I love their Travelers stuff....you can just about roll them up in a ball for packing and no wrinkles.

You reminded me of the "Chico's" story that I wanted to tell: My son lives in Chico, Ca and they have a Chico's store there (opened maybe 3 years ago). I bought a top at their store and after getting home, decided that I really didn't like it so took it back to our local store here in Los Gatos, Ca to return it. When the salesperson asked where I originally bought it, I replied (tongue in cheek) "Chico". She again said "no, which of our stores did you buy it in?". I again replied (tongue in cheek) "Chico". By this time, she thought I was a complete idiot and asked again, very slowly "I know you bought it at Chico's, but in what city????" I couldn't do it anymore....so let her off the hook and told her it was Chico's in Chico, Ca :D

Andi

I found a great pair of lined white cotton slacks at my local outlet store at a fantastic price. I am sorely tempted to go back there and see if they have any more left in my size, because they are so useful on cruises. It took me a long time to find the ones I bought.

Mary Lou

I have a confession to make........I don't even own a dress....I wear pants even for formal events :o. I used to have decent looking knees, legs and ankles but age and varicose veins have taken their toll (at least, in my self image)....so..... no shorts, just capris.

Andi

Well, I only own a few dresses. I hate pantyhose with a passion and stopped wearing dresses maybe 15 or 20 years ago except special ocasions - like formal night and in Europe in hot weather to places you can't wear shorts like the Vatican.

And I too have veins, but I still wear shorts anyway. Not short shorts I'm too fat anyway for that. But I wear loose legged longer length shorts in cotton and cotton knit. Very comfortable in very hot humid weather. Crop pants are just not cool enough. One of these days I may go to a vein clinic but then again maybe not.

At this point in my life I'm more concerned with pleasing me than with pleasing the rest of the world.

I'm with you on the longer shorts, Liz. That's the only kind I buy for wear in public any more. I'm glad they are in style now, because that makes it easy to find some.

My only dresses are the few I can wear on formal nights on cruises. Life in Florida, at least the way I live, is so casual, I can get away with that.

Mary Lou

Although not on this cruise I have invaded your thread a few times. Thank you for all the web sites for looking/picking up cruise wear.

But lets not forget the men who will be traveling with us. Bealls in FL has a wonderful assortment of Hawaiian/SP type shirts. Plus what I call "dress T shirts" they have some nice prints and even one in a burnt orange shade w/Tahitian print and Bora Bora in small print. I got this for DH for our 9/17th sailing on the Princess Sea.

Oh, girls!!! This thread is so much fun and I have been so bad about posting recently. Sissy, you asked if I had found my Mother of the Bride dress. The answer is no. I have looked in some of the local stores but haven't found what I have in mind. The wedding is 4:30 PM and fairly small. I want something tea length with a sleeve. (In other words, not sleeveless!)

I think white pants, capris and shorts are perfect for a warm weather cruise. And I agree, that white seems to loose it's crispness after a while. I, too, like the longer shorts. I enjoy wearing skirts and dresses and I never wear hose in the summer. I only wear longer lengths and use some of the self tanning lotion to try and make my legs look a little better. I think a pedicure helps make sandals looks better, too. But I think dressy pants are a wonderful option for formal nights.

Andi, I loved your Chico;s story! How funny!!! Sissy, the Ava pants are lovely. I like pants that zip on the side. I don't need any additional fabric or zippers in the front of my pants!!! LOL!!!! I am always on the lookout for cruise clothes. I keep all my formal things in one closet. I have purchased things and put them in that part of the closet only to have forgotten about them. Fortunately, I find them before I pack for the next cruise.

Grace, I link the IMAN bag. I can see that that style would be easy to take on a plane. Like several of you, I am always looking at luggage as well as cruise clothes. We have several bags, but it seems we never have what I consider "the perfect bag" when we start to pack.

I am a list maker. Does anyone else do that? Before the cruise, I plan what I am going to wear each night and make a list. I do the same thing for each day. That is the only way I can stop myself from over packing. Now, I don't always stick to the list once I get on board but I don't change it too much.

Mkccltr, glad you are enjoying this fun thread.

I have not been as faithful about my walking as I need to be. Our weather has been cold and rainy for days. Hope everyone is having a good week.

Saw a shocking pink large wheelie bag in luggage store on Washington Rd., South Beach. Looked great.If interested I can go by and get details. Do not know store name.

Thanks so much, but no please, don't go to any trouble. I have plenty of suitcases, so I'll just have to do some creative thinking to get mine to stand out in the sea of all the others. :)

I am a list maker. Does anyone else do that? Before the cruise, I plan what I am going to wear each night and make a list. I do the same thing for each day.

Oh yes, lol. I've had a packing list spreadsheet since the day I booked this cruise, which was the first day it was available. :D:D I've got a short list and the long list. I've got a shopping list, and have already checked several things off. :rolleyes:

To make my suitcases easier to find in the mass of bags in the terminal post-cruise, I make 'pompoms' out of bright orange yarn, and tie one to each of the handles on every suitcase.

Simple, but so far it has always worked well there, and on the carousels in airports..

I'm sure others have some more creative ideas.

My husband will take tropical shirts for the casual nights for this cruise, he is partial to Tommy Bahama and Caribbean Joe that we can get at Dillard's. But like I said he does not have to be coaxed into formalwear, probably stems from when he worked in construction and didn't have the opportunity to wear a suit or dress up often.

I have a couple of fun jersey knit dresses from Fresh Produce that only require flip flops or sandals, these will be great running around the ship on seadays.

For those of you who have not been to Tahiti or Samoa before I cannot stress enough you need to be prepared for major hit of heat and humdity...I saw those little portable hand held fans in Walmart last fall on sale and bought one knowing we were going on this cruise...The last time I was in Samoa it was so hot and humid I thought I was going to die. We didn't really have plans for the day because we had already taken a tour of the island on another trip so were just going to go into town to the liquor store and then walk around, byt the time we got through the major line at the liquor store and walked back to the center of town I could not stand it, I was so hot and overcome by the humidity that I went back to cabin, drank 3 bottles of water while Robert went to the beach.

Since my knee joint replacement surgery that left a huge scar from above to below my knee I haven't worn shorts, but thinking I might take a few pair with me on this cruise, most of mine are the kind that go down to the top of the knee or a little longer so will cover most of the scar.

About lists, oh yeah, I actually think I hold the title for queen of listmakers...I have been known to actually make a list of the lists I need for a cruise...like, things I need to buy, things I want to take that I have, electronics and misc. etc. I will also list all the tops and what pants they can go with and make my outfits for half the cruise then repeat again...so about 14 outfits for this cruise. I may not wear them in order again or may switch the pants but at least I have an idea of what I have to wear....I know, it's a bit compulsive isn't it??

Oh yes, Sissy .... do take some shorts!!! In that tropical heat, they are a necessity.

Think about it. Between chubby legs, varicose veins, aging skin, etc., your scar will be quite unremarkble. Since we all have flaws of some sort, noone is going to pay attention to it!!!! 8-}

I agree, life is short and comfort is important. Please bring your shorts.

I love hot if I can spend the time in the water. But since these are first visits to Samoa and French Poly I have some tours planned. I think both tours have swim stops though.

And I have a couple of hand held fans, one I bought on a princess ship many years ago and a couple that I bought at Walgreens or CVS a few years back when I was still going to DisneyWorld in September - worse month to go I think for humidity. Yuck - but great to spend the entire day at one of their water parks which I really love.

And I was really big on lists before I retired. I did them when I got bored at work. Packing lists, to do lists, to buy lists, etc. Now I don't bother, but I am still a big time planner when I get motivated.

This is a fun thread.

Oh, and I looked at those beautiful knit dresses. I think there was one at fresh produce that I really liked but they appear to be out of it. I am going to keep looking.

Finally - sort of funny thing - I had never heard of Chicos and figured they were a west cost thing. So I gave them a google and low and behold there is one in a strip mall with a TJMaxx and a Kroger store I go to within a few miles of my house. Dah!! I haven't found it yet, but I know the strip mall it is in. There was once a hobby shop there too where I purchased my fabulous telescope. The hobby shop has gone with the economy, I am bummed.

I just haven't been much into fashion in the last 15 years.

Sorry for the long post, it's late and I'm rambling.

I've bought a couple of the water shoes from Land's End, but haven't worn them yet so not sure they're comfortable. I'll try wearing them around the house this weekend.

Hum, I forgot about the humidity. I remember when I moved to Hawaii, just stepping off the plane, the air felt so very thick and heavy with humidity.

Archived