Poll: Are You Interested in Visiting Falmouth, Jamaica, the Caribbean's Newest Port?

Dan Askin

Are you interested in visiting Falmouth, Jamaica, the Caribbean's newest port?  

324 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in visiting Falmouth, Jamaica, the Caribbean's newest port?

• Yes! New ports are always exciting.
    • Yes. I want to visit now so I can track the progress later
    • Yes. But not until much more of the construction is completed.
    • No. I'm not a fan of "historical theme parks."
    • No. If the most popular shore tours are in Ochi of Mo-Bay, I'll just go there.
    • No. I have no desire to visit Jamaica.
    • Other - please post below.

I voted that I do not want to visit Jamaica again after experiences in Montego Bay Ocho Rios previously, but I want to sail on Allure so don't appear to have a choice, but the ship is the destination for me. As long as it's santitised and safe I may walk around the mock village, but no further.

We were fortunate to be on one of the first ships to visit Roatan and also one of the first ships to visit Costa Maya.

Will it improve as a shopping mall? Sure! But We look forward to different.

We enjoy "specking" out something new!

And we truly enjoy watching the growth and development cruise lines can bring to an area!

Kudos to RCI!!!!

Been to Jamaica once, and you couldn't pay me to ever do it again. A cab driver ripped us off for an extra $50.00 (if we wanted to get back to the ship in time), we were hounded to buy drugs every step we took, and one guy followed us all the way back to the ship yelling at us to buy something from inside his coat.

No way, Jose, never again.............

Yes and no. I'm excited to see someplace new, but I would have preferred that RCI wait until the port is complete. Somebody made a comparison to Disney opening a theme park half finished - which is really what they did.

I think it has potential, and I look forward to being on Allure the first time she calls there. Will I spend much time off the ship? Probably not. Will I do an excursion? Probably not. But I'll be able to see someplace new and next time we're back hopefully see a great improvment in the port.

Yes and no. I'm excited to see someplace new, but I would have preferred that RCI wait until the port is complete. Somebody made a comparison to Disney opening a theme park half finished - which is really what they did.

Actually, think of it as the parking lot, entrance, and shops along Main Street USA in the Magic Kingdom undergoing construction. The things you really want to do are the rides (or meet the characters) beyond that initial construction. The excursions beyond the port terminal (and Falmouth itself) are all fine.

Private tours may or may not be available but there are more excursions listed for Falmouth (67) than either Ocho Rios (42) or Montego Bay (38) on the RCCL website.

rns

I voted yes but not until more construction is complete. We stop at Falmouth in Jan. 2012 so I expect it will be finished for the most part by then. If we don't like what we see we can always get back on the ship. I want to keep an open mind and try it. I bet when finished it will be beautiful. Sanitized and Disney-ish perhaps but it IS in the Caribbean. The sun will be shining, we'll be on vacation and we will be pleasantly surprised! Can't be worse than Progresso :rolleyes:

Actually, think of it as the parking lot, entrance, and shops along Main Street USA in the Magic Kingdom undergoing construction. The things you really want to do are the rides (or meet the characters) beyond that initial construction. The excursions beyond the port terminal (and Falmouth itself) are all fine.

Private tours may or may not be available but there are more excursions listed for Falmouth (67) than either Ocho Rios (42) or Montego Bay (38) on the RCCL website.

rns

While the excursions may exist, not everybody wants to take an excursion. We prefer to roam around near the port... Not something I want to be the first to do!

I voted other. We will be there in May but, I would rather be there once all the construction is 100% completed and the retail spaces are full. I have to admit after seeing the pictures I am dismayed that RCCL has not continued to postpone this port. I have been to Montego Bay and Ochos Rios, it would have been nice to have a new experience in a completed Falmouth.

I voted yes--We will be there in Nov. Like anything else in the building industry I have never seen anything completed on time--may it be a new house, shop, hotel ect.--just doesn't seem to get done on it's completion due date therefore I'am not expecting alot at Falmouth. Love history so will enjoy the people and whatever may be offered at the time.

I typically avoid booking cruises that stop in Jamaica, same with Grand Cayman. This is primarily because they are known to be very hostile torwards Gays & Lesbians. I do not like to go where I am not welcome!

That said - I am booked on the Ryndam April 3rd and the ship will stop in Falmouth. I will use the stop there, and in Grand Cayman, as extra sea days. I will only go ashore in Key West and Cozumel - both of which are very Gay Friendly areas.

I'll be there in Dec. on FOS. Wanted to include this port because it is new. We look forward to stopping there & I'm sure the port will be far more welcoming than it is now. Look forward to seeing more post from the folks that visit.

Happy cruising!!

Brenda

I voted Yes but not until more of the construction is completed. I've only been on two cruises so far, the third cruise is in April. I haven't been to Jamaica yet and will keep an open mind about it.

I saw that someone mentioned Progreso. That port was nothing spectactular. Not sure it was even worth getting off the ship for.

I doubt I would book a cruise just to go to Falmouth, but I wouldn't avoid it either.. although, I wouldn't want to go there until construction is finished so it's possible I might choose an itinerary that did not include it, if I knew it wasn't completely ready.

The good thing about ports that are not interesting or worth exploring is, one can stay on the ship. There are so many wonderful things to do on board, so many ways to be occupied and enjoy oneself, relax, etc.

We have been to Ocho Rios too many times and disliked it more and more each time we were there - dishonest taxi drivers, shop owners, safety and drug issues - just didn't like it. It is a beautiful island with Dunn's River Falls, Fern Gully, Shaw Park Gardens, beaches, etc. but if you feel glad to be back on the ship . . .

Just got sick and tired of the same ports on the Eastern & Western itineraries. Might appeal to some people - not for us.

We will be visiting Falmouth on our 11/27/11 Mariner sailing. Never been to Jamaica, so am looking forward to seeing for myself if it's something we will want to do on future cruises. Hoping the construction will be finished by our sailing, but if it's not, we'll still have a wonderful time exploring. :D

We jut want to be on a cruise! We visited Roatan on Princess when their port at Mahogany Bay first opened. It was interesting to see it new and still evolving. It was pretty finished though, just didn't have a lot of stores yet. So it would be nice to see this port while it is still in progress.

We have been to Ochos Rios enough, it is pretty around there and we learned what we don't want to do lol. We visited Montego Bay in December and would like to go back there too. It will be nice to check Falmouth out. I doubt we will get to go before December so it should be more completed by the time we get to go.We aren't crazy about an hour ride to go on an excursion elsewhere so if we don't like Falmouth we can always stay on the ship the next time.

Archived