News Flash-Splendor now skipping Maztalan!

gargoyle999

Still waiting for some answer for even next weeks cruise. I personally will NOT get off the ship if it goes to Mazatlan. You can't control when or where that violence will break out, and I am not getting in the middle of a shootout when I can avoid it. Cabo for 2 days is fine, but they need to find another port to replace Mazatlan if this is long term, after all, you are paying to go to 3 ports, not just 2.

John Heald I see that NCL released a statement about canceling all remaining calls to Mazatlan. Their season ends in April then all their ships leave. We obvioulsy have an all year round call with the Carnival Splendor. I just got off the phone with Terry the Senior VP in charge of destinations etc and this is what he told me.

John Heald ‎" we are meeting with Mexican officials today and will decide later today what we will do."

I realise many are waiting to know and I truly appreciate that the beards are allowing me to use this forum to keep you all updated.

Thank you for the relay from John's blog.

We leave on the Spirit two weeks from today. We like Mazatlan -- Stone Island is a terrific cheap day. Cabo is our least favorite, but we'll have a great time no matter what is decided. I know Carnival is working hard to figure this out and I don't envy their position.

Still waiting for some answer for even next weeks cruise. I personally will NOT get off the ship if it goes to Mazatlan. You can't control when or where that violence will break out, and I am not getting in the middle of a shootout when I can avoid it. Cabo for 2 days is fine, but they need to find another port to replace Mazatlan if this is long term, after all, you are paying to go to 3 ports, not just 2.

La Paz would be any easy replacement. There isn't much there, but if they had a weekly ship, things would build up quickly (and it has a dock- unlike Cabo)

John Heald is running a poll on his FB page and a large majority of 200+ have answered with skip this port, not go to. I believe the Carnival beards pay attention to his Blog and FB page matereial.

I have been watching his blog since yesterday, and the different threads on here, and the majority by far feel like they should skip it, so I don't know what the hold up is on the decision, especially when at least two other cruise lines have already pulled out citing safety concerns. What does it take? A Carnival passenger finally getting killed before the beards get the message? Mazatlan is not safe!!

Although we are not on the Splendor until next January.... two days in Cabo would be fine with us.... especially since the 1st day in Cabo (replacing Mazatlan) would more than likely be for a longer duration..... which means longer shore excursions :) We were on the Spirit last month and loved b2b Cabo days! Would like to see Mazatlan some day..... but if it's off the menu nothing we can do about it :)

I do feel bad for passengers on upcoming cruises with shore excursions currently booked in Mazatlan.... hopefully, you will get your deposits refunded by those vendors :) If time while in Cabo, check out the Pez Gato kayak snorkeling tour! It is definately on our must-do-again list!

Although we are not on the Splendor until next January.... two days in Cabo would be fine with us.... especially since the 1st day in Cabo (replacing Mazatlan) would more than likely be for a longer duration..... which means longer shore excursions :) We were on the Spirit last month and loved b2b Cabo days! Would like to see Mazatlan some day..... but if it's off the menu nothing we can do about it :)

I do feel bad for passengers on upcoming cruises with shore excursions currently booked in Mazatlan.... hopefully, you will get your deposits refunded by those vendors :) If time while in Cabo, check out the Pez Gato kayak snorkeling tour! It is definately on our must-do-again list!

As you mention Carnival will not stay over night at Cabo but may have additional hours there. To dangerous to tender at night. They go back to sea for awhile. Also Cabo gets by-passed once in a great while due to rough seas and cannot tender.

Mazatlan is my favorite port on the Mexican Riviera. It has beautiful beaches, great shopping and I will be totally bummed if Carnival stops going there! No way does Cabo compare in my opinion. Laurie

Nice to finally hear someone else likes Mazatlan. Cabo is okay, but I can go to Newport Beach California and be in Cabo (very Americanized). Mazatlan is more true Mexico. We very much enjoy Stone Island.:D

Nice to finally hear someone else likes Mazatlan. Cabo is okay, but I can go to Newport Beach California and be in Cabo (very Americanized). Mazatlan is more true Mexico. We very much enjoy Stone Island.:D

Completely agree.

Went to Stone Island last Tuesday while on the Spirit 9 day. As usual,we had an incredible meal at Victor's!!

We also stopped at La Paz(first time for us) and absolutely loved it!!! Cabo sure beats cold winter weather...but I enjoy San Diego much more.

honestly I hope we keep Mazatlan on the radar if only because of the risk of rough seas for cabo... How are the tides this time of year?

Surprise, I wish I had an answer for you. I have been there three times. Once in March and twice in November. We were slightly delayed because of tenders in March, but it calmed down quickly. No issues at all in November. I have not heard of Cabo getting skipped because of seas, but would be very interested in what others have to say.

John Heald is running a poll on his FB page and a large majority of 200+ have answered with skip this port, not go to. I believe the Carnival beards pay attention to his Blog and FB page matereial.

Although while reading the poll, it seems a lot of people don't know what "stay" or "go" means. John didn't make it clear that "go" means go somewhere else. I suspect most of the people think "go" means go to Mazatlan.

So, does "stay" mean stay with Mazatlan or stay away from Mazatlan. :D

Gina

So, does "stay" mean stay with Mazatlan or stay away from Mazatlan. :D

Stay = keep going to Mazatlan. Go = wrong choice. :D

I actually think most people did mean do not go there anymore. :(

The more I read the comments about some places like Mazatlan and Belize the more I am beginning to realize most people seem to just want to go to ports that are very Americanized and nothing but tourist traps.

Heres my take on this. I am leaving on the Splendor on 3/13. I was not looking forward to Matzalan and planed on not getting off the ship. Carnival knows its a "dangerous" port and is probably doing the right thing by skipping. If by some chance a cruise passenger got hurt in Mazatlan I am sure that Carnival would be sued because they knew it was a dangerous place. 2 days in Cabo is fine with me....

Does anyone remember that a cruise passenger was shot in the crossfire in St Thomas a little more than a year ago? Why is it that St Thomas wasn't pulled off the schedule? Or was it? Maybe I'm wrong there, but I just don't get why Mexico is always getting picked on?:confused:

Stay = keep going to Mazatlan. Go = wrong choice. :D

I actually think most people did mean do not go there anymore. :(

The more I read the comments about some places like Mazatlan and Belize the more I am beginning to realize most people seem to just want to go to ports that are very Americanized and nothing but tourist traps.

I agree with you completely.

I'm always surprised when people say, about any port, that they don't get off because they've been there before. I have yet to hear someone say they won't go to a restaurant because they've been there before. :rolleyes:

Americanized or not, there's always something new and different to do in any port.

And there are some places I like to much I'll go there and do the same thing over and over again. We had planned to go to Stone Island again for the 3rd time and do something different along the way. We want to walk up goat mountain - that's the big hill to the right rather than walk straight to the beach. :( There's still hope I suppose. But my cruise already has a 2 day in Cabo so they can't substitute that on us.

For the record, I like Cabo, too. I even put up with Acapulco. :rolleyes: I think each port has it's own unique character, Americanized or authentic. They all need us.

Gina

I agree with you completely.

I'm always surprised when people say, about any port, that they don't get off because they've been there before. I have yet to hear someone say they won't go to a restaurant because they've been there before. :rolleyes:

Americanized or not, there's always something new and different to do in any port.

And there are some places I like to much I'll go there and do the same thing over and over again. We had planned to go to Stone Island again for the 3rd time and do something different along the way. We want to walk up goat mountain - that's the big hill to the right rather than walk straight to the beach. :( There's still hope I suppose. But my cruise already has a 2 day in Cabo so they can't substitute that on us.

For the record, I like Cabo, too. I even put up with Acapulco. :rolleyes: I think each port has it's own unique character, Americanized or authentic. They all need us.

Gina

imagine puling into manhattan, and hearing someone say, "i`ve been here before. i think i`ll stay on the ship."

I don't undestand. If cruise ships contribute so much to the local economy, how come the Mexican gov't doesn't even try to provide some sort of security for the cruise ships and their passengers. If an armed gang rushed the front door of a ship, there is absolutely no one there to stop them. Don't think this can never happen. AS THEY SAY, NEVER SAY NEVER.

I don't undestand. If cruise ships contribute so much to the local economy, how come the Mexican gov't doesn't even try to provide some sort of security for the cruise ships and their passengers. If an armed gang rushed the front door of a ship, there is absolutely no one there to stop them. Don't think this can never happen. AS THEY SAY, NEVER SAY NEVER.

I read about this same scenario in the US post office from time to time. :rolleyes:

We can say the same thing about Barcelona. Why don't the police do something about all the pickpockets? We found out when we were there in Nov. Because they are allowed to continue as long as they don't cause physical harm. Cultural differences. And that's part of cruising.

I remember my first time in Costa Maya years ago. We pulled up to Mahahual and I took one look at those armed guards....BIG guns....and THEY were the ones who made me nervous. Some people prefer to see them, some say seeing them means it's unsafe. You can't please everyone.

We can get caught in the crossfire anywhere, even in our own country. When in port, leave what you don't want to lose on the ship. And even that's no guarantee.

When in Acapulco, I go to the Flamingo Hotel for lunch. I've been there both before and after a drug related shootout in the parking lot. I'd go there again.

I feel safer in Mexico than I do hang-gliding or zip-lining. I'm not going up in any hot air balloons either. :rolleyes: :p

Gina

My goodness .. have you ever sailed to Mexico? After 9-11 we became very aware of Mexican Marines with helmets, flack jackets and M16 rifles all around the ship. There are always several on the dock and and the area is secured. There is always an armed patrol boat in the water near the ship and it follows us out of the harbor on every departure. Could it happen .. sure, but I can't imagine what more Mexico can do to make it more secure.

Last April in PV there were armed tourist police all over the downtown area. All we had to do was look like we wanted to cross a street and they would politely step out and stop the traffic for us.

I don't know about tourist areas Mazatlan, we always go to Stone Island.

If they want to rush a ship, it would be much easier in the U.S. -- In San Diego the unarmed rent-a-cops would not be able to put up much of a fight.

The Mexican government cannot even provide security for it's own people anymore let alone cruise tourists. Even UA government agents are being gunned down in Mexico now. It seems to only be getting worse and who knows what Mexico will be like if the drug cartels prevail over the government forces. I am sure the cruise lines understand clearly that they may be putting passengers in harms way and want to avoid doing that.

Guys don't get bent out of shape. Just wanted to hear the good answers with the dumb answers. It's like when you tell someone they shouldn't smoke and they say you have to die from something or you can get hit by a car.

I have been on 26 cruises since dec. 04 and never worried and don't worry even now. I also live 3 hrs from a border town where last year they murdered 20,000 people and it's getting worse. If God for Bid something did happen to one of you, you wouldn't be talking so brave.

Archived