Christchurch Earthquake

Wyuna1

With the tragic events that have unfolded over the past days and the massive destruction caused unfortunately Christchurch looks to be of the cruise itinerary for some time. What alternate port do experienced cruisers think will be used in lieu of Christchurch for the scheduled cruises over the next few months.

What alternate port do experienced cruisers think will be used in lieu of Christchurch for the scheduled cruises over the next few months.

The New Zealand 2010-2011 cruise season is just about over and by the end of March it will only be the Pacific Pearl & Pacific Dawn visiting New Zealand.

I think if the ship was meant to go to Lyttelton (Christchurch) then they would ether go to Akaroa or spend a extra day at sea.

I think you'll find they will probably go to Wellington instead. QM2 certainly did.

QM2 was the only one that wasn't already going to Wellington.

I have heard that all remaining calls to Christchurch/Lyttleton for the rest of this cruise season will be moved to Akoroa which was not affected by the earthquake. We are supposed to be in Christchurh on April 4th on Pacific Pearl. We haven't heard anything from P&O yet. I'm guessing they'll make the decision closer to sailing for us - since it's still 5 weeks away.

Hopefully they can do as much as they can over the next few months so as they can welcome cruise ships and tourists again. Unfortunately I think people will be a bit worried about visiting Christchurch for awhile.

I watched a program on TV last night about San Francisco and it has 8 fault lines crossing the city.....:eek:

Jillybean:)

Hopefully they can do as much as they can over the next few months so as they can welcome cruise ships and tourists again. Unfortunately I think people will be a bit worried about visiting Christchurch for awhile.

I watched a program on TV last night about San Francisco and it has 8 fault lines crossing the city.....:eek:

Jillybean:)

They will no doubt be doing everything possible not to disrupt the cruise ship industry. It is a huge industry for NZ.

The Volendam is due to call at Christchurch this week, I wonder if it will go to Arokoa?

Picton might be used as an alternative destination. Entry through the sounds is absolutely beautiful. I think we might start seeing more ships visit Picton regardless. Shore excursions in that region would also offer some great options.

The Volendam calls into Picton on most of its cruises, and yes it is a pretty spot.

I think I read somewhere that Sun Princess did some Marlborough Sounds cruising, instead of calling into Lyttleton.

Not all cruise cruise ships can fit into Picton and they would need to book a long way ahead as there is only one spot for them.

I dont know if this is an omen , but the very moment we stepped onto , and embarked , QM2 in Sydney, for our cruise back to Auckland , was the very moment the quake struck.:eek:

I think I read somewhere that Sun Princess did some Marlborough Sounds cruising, instead of calling into Lyttleton.

Not all cruise cruise ships can fit into Picton and they would need to book a long way ahead as there is only one spot for them.

I dont know if this is an omen , but the very moment we stepped onto , and embarked , QM2 in Sydney, for our cruise back to Auckland , was the very moment the quake struck.:eek:

That is eerie.

How was the QM2?

Picton might be used as an alternative destination. Entry through the sounds is absolutely beautiful. I think we might start seeing more ships visit Picton regardless. Shore excursions in that region would also offer some great options.

Won't be an alternative on our cruise, we're already calling there, the day after we're supposed to be in Christchurch.

Please let us know the date of your next cruise!!

Would you be happy to sail on the QM2 again?

Please let us know the date of your next cruise!!

Would you be happy to sail on the QM2 again?

I am more than happy with Princess Cruises, but if the chance came up again and the price was right, then maybe.

I think if anyone gets the chance to experience such a famous ship it would be well worthwhile.

Its the ship itself that is the attraction .

Everything else was just like a normal cruise.

We were in Christchurch in the latter part of January-absolutely beautiful city, it was, too. We were on a coach tour and stayed at the Ibis hotel, which backs onto Cathedral Square.

The Ibis is currently 'not avaialble' for bookings for March-or April-or May, but I noticed on their website that they are taking bookings from June.

I suppose they can't be absolutely certain about things, but it looks as if the city is hoping to be up and open for business again by June? There wouldn't be much point in cruise ships stopping in till about then, I wouldn't think.

Archived