cruising from Dubai

I would take dollars for onboard, and Dirhams for all ports

Dirhams will not work in Muscat, Oman...they have their own currency, but USD and Euros both seem to work just fine there. I paid for everything in USD....fixed exchange rate to the USD so making the exchange calc is easy...

Be sure to bargain in souks, especially in Muscat where if you are relatively good you can get 50% or more off your purchase.

We are sailing out of Dubai March 7th and was just wondering,what is the best currency to take with us.

We also visit,Oman,UAE.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Muscat is the capital of Oman and the currency is the Omani Rial. They will accept US$ in the souk but I do not recommend Dirham here. You'll only lose on the exchange rate.

Dubai, Fujeriah and Abu Dhabi are all in the UAE and their currency is the UAE Dirham. I'd only recommend using Dirham in these countries.

I agree, it is much cheaper to use the local currencies. Everywhere will take either dollars or euros but the exchange rate they use is nothing like the one you will get at the exchange booths which are widely available in all the ports.

FWIW, I got dirhams at home from M&S and the exchange rate was almost the same as they were offering in Dubai.

Julie

Archived