Orvieto by train from Civitavecchia

2morrow

Can any one tell me how I can go on the train from the port of Civitavecchia to Orvieto on a day trip in port on a cruise ship? We will be there from 7:00am until 7:00pm.

Thanks

Barb

Sorry, but Orvieto from Civitavecchia is not a reasonable day trip by train, as it takes two and a half hours each way, at minimum. On the current train schedule, the first train to get you to Orvieto would leave Civitavecchia at 9:17 AM and arrive at 11:42 (with a change at Rome Termini). In order to get back to the ship on time, you'd need to leave Orvieto on a 2:13 PM train; which means you'd spend twice as much time getting there and back as actually being there.

If you rent a car and drive yourself, or hire a car and driver, it's still about two hours each way but you could leave earlier and stay later.

Thank you very much for the information. Would you know of any tour companies that go there?

Thanks again

Sorry, but Orvieto from Civitavecchia is not a reasonable day trip by train, as it takes two and a half hours each way, at minimum. On the current train schedule, the first train to get you to Orvieto would leave Civitavecchia at 9:17 AM and arrive at 11:42 (with a change at Rome Termini). In order to get back to the ship on time, you'd need to leave Orvieto on a 2:13 PM train; which means you'd spend twice as much time getting there and back as actually being there.

If you rent a car and drive yourself, or hire a car and driver, it's still about two hours each way but you could leave earlier and stay later.

Thank you very much for the information. Would you know of any tour companies that go there?

Thanks again

Hi 2morrow, There's a wealth of great information on Italian tour providers on this boards. A couple of searches should turn up what you need.

I will be visiting Orvieto in May. Initially, I had looked at the possibility of organizing a private tour. I picked 4 of the companies that had been well-reviewed on this board and sent off requests for quotes for a custom full-day tour to Orvieto for 8 people. All 4 responded with quotes that were within a few euros (per person) of each other.

The issue for me was that most of the people on my roll call were visiting Italy for the 1st time and wanted to spend the day in Rome. I floated my proposed Orvieto tour on the roll call for a couple of months and didn't receive a whole lot of interest. So DH and I decided to accept the offer of another couple and share the costs of a rental car.

If cost is not a concern for you (or if there are lots of folks on your roll call eager to see Orvieto), a private tour or a car and driver might be a good choice. For us, a rental car worked out to be the best option.

We used the ships tour for this trip and had a great day. I usually don't recommend the ships tours but this one turned out very good and like you we didn't have a lot of options. They provided a guide which was very helpful and lunch was included in a very quaint restaurant, wine included:) Had some history included on the ride there by the bus guide. The town tour guide met us in town and was very good with the local history. The church is beautiful and the hole in the ground they used for water that was hauled up by mules is something I will not forget. BIG DEEP HOLE Happy cruising-----------

An easy way to get to Oriveto is to simply rent a car and drive. There is a convenient Hertz dealership about 2 - 3 easy blocks from the port entrance and there is a free internal port bus that will take you from your ship to the port entrance. As has been mentioned, the train connections to Orvieto are not really very good. In fact, for much of Italy outside the major cities it really makes sense to drive.

Hank

We used Stefanorometours.com (part of Romecabs.com) last year to go to Orvieto and a couple other places. We hired them for the day, and had a very nice time. As others have noted, it is a long drive, but we got to see alot of the countryside. Orvieto is beautiful.

Archived