Warning about online booking through travel website.

moopig

I try to book directly through the cruiseline when possible, but in this case, Carnival didn't have the particular room I wanted while this online travel website (I believe it is against the cruise critic policy to name said website but it one of the big ones).

Anyway, I booked a 5 night Eastern Carribean on Canival Destiny because that itinerary (Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau) sounded great. Well, I go to Carnival's website to put in my info. and a different itinerary shows up (Ocho Rios, Grand Caymen with 2 sea days)! So I call online travel website, who contacts Carnival who confirm that the Ocho Rios is the correct itinerary and that the online travel website is incorrect! Thank god I checked before booking airfare because the travel website said they will change the date of the cruise but won't offer me a refund!

Anyway, just a warning. I had used this travel website many times in the past with good results. I just thought that due to their mistake, I should be able to cancel the cruise, instead of rebook it for a now more expensive date. I guess it is my fault for always paying in full when I book....

Hmmm. Mistakes happen quite often in the travel industry, but their mistake should not be your loss. If you want to cancel the booking, and you are outside the final payment period you should be able to simply cancel and get a full refund. However, if the TA wants to play nasty you have at least one other good option. Simply dispute the charge with your credit card company and give them full details. Personally, we would call the cruise line and speak with a supervisor before we took such action, but since you did not get what you orignally were promised when you booked on the web site you should be able to win a credit card dispute.

Hank

I would think that the agency would so something for you especially if you were not in final penalty (you don't say) based on their error.

OP might have booked ES rate, which the deposit is now nonrefundable and the TA would not have much luck with Carnival cancelling it, if it was not Carnival's fault.

As far as the TA having the cabin and not Canrival, maybe it didnt show up, but that doesnt mean it wasnt available. Carnival only shows 10 cabins per category ..if you call there are almost always more choices.

OP good lesson you learned....to be more careful. Had you booked direct, Carnival would have backed you up.

OP the only instance where the TA might have a cabin that Carnival did not have is if they were holding it on a group booking ..otherwise, you got scammed thinking Carnival didnt have the cabin.

Thanks for not flaming me for being an idiot :o

Yes, it was the Early Saver rate so even though the cruise wasn't until Nov 28, they stated it was non-refundable.

That is good to know that the cruise lines don't show all of the cabins. I will remember that next time I book a cruise :D

This web site has soooooo many helpful and informative people on it. Just wanted to make sure people here were aware that things like this can happen and the response that they might get! Even though I have over 10 cruises under my belt, I still have a lot to learn!

Archived