Full Name requirements ?

Embracedbylife

My first name bears almost no rsemblance to the name I am called, so it stands out when someone refers to me that way (usually only in doctors' offices). .

Wait! You mean your first name isn't really Pescado? Aw man!!

On our airline tx I am booked as Mrs Jane Doe. However in the secure flight data section is where my name matches my passport and includes my date of birth. Same thing on Princess - Passenger Immigration is where my name matches passport.

But with the Secure Flight mandate that now, I think, is fully implemented, the Feds expect that airline tickets reflect one's legal name as shown on the legal ID used to book and board the flights. For a time, I think they will grant some leeway ... but eventually I suspect the name on air tickets will need to agree with what is on the ID.

And take it from me, it's a huge PAIN when they don't. Without thinking, I used Travelocity to purchase an airline ticket and I'd neglected to update my Travelocity account after I got married, so on my way to the airport, I printed out my ticket and it read "Jane Roe" not "Jane Doe".

I was fortunate that the airline did allow me to board, but I got to go through the super-special security screening. This was post-911 but not very recently, so I don't even know if I'd be able to board at this point, but I wouldn't want to take the chance.

I have a surname that's easy as heck to misspell (it's a Polish name but instead of ending in the fairly common -ski, we spell it -sky and everyone and their dog misspells it) so I always double, triple, quadruple check the names - even when I write it correctly and spell it out for people, they naturally hear the name and type in -ski out of habit. It's common enough error that the ski variant even appears as an a/k/a on my credit reports :)

Airlines, for both domestic and international travel, still only require a middle initial.

Yes, you can give a full middle name if you wish, but it is not required.

As long as that middle initial matches the middle name on the ID, you will be OK.

As far as J.Paul Getty, I am not sure if just putting an initial for a first name would be OK.

When was the new requirement to include your full legal name for airline tickets added? Is that only true for international flights?

Within the last year or so. It applies to domestic flights as this is a TSA requirement.

We have flown 6 times this year and have never given my husbands middle name. So it obviously is not ver well enforced :)

Probably not, but as I noted earlier I no longer have security issues or delays after I started using my very uncommon middle name a few years ago. My first and last name are on some TSA list, so adding my middle name has saved me a lot of hassles at the airport.

Probably not, but as I noted earlier I no longer have security issues or delays after I started using my very uncommon middle name a few years ago. My first and last name are on some TSA list, so adding my middle name has saved me a lot of hassles at the airport.

Well you lucked out with the middle name. DH has a hassle everytime we go thru Immigration when coming back from cruise or International Flight because of someone else with same name on no fly list.:mad:

In Halifax, NS the HS person was nice and gave him forms to fill out and send in, which he did. Then he got another form whch seemed like the same ?s in a different format. No to be outdone, he completed and sent to the "proper authorities." Guess what, yup, more forms. So he gave up. One time he said I will be glad when this guy dies and the HS guy said, that won't help one bit:eek:

Archived