Tons of questions pls check!

nitola

I´ve booked my first cruise ever. Mediterranean cruise on Voyager of the Seas on 27th August 2011 from Venice (7 ngts). So I have several questions and I hope I would get some answers from this board. Thank you in advance.

1. What is MDR?

2. What is DD?

3. What is PJ?

4. At what time is the breakfast?

5. Is it a buffet or served to table? What´s on buffet?

6. Can I have it to my cabin without extra charge? I´ve paid the tips beforehand. So I don´t have to tip?

7. Where can I have the breakfast? Which is the best choice?

8. Where the lunch is served? Buffet or a la carte?

9. Can I have it to cabin? Does the food cost?

10. When is the lunch?

11. Where do you eat lunch when you´re in port? On the ship or somewhere in town?

12. Can I take any food to my cabin if there´s some buffet available?

13. Where can I have all inclusive dinner? Without extra cost? Buffet or a la carte. Give me some example of the food available? Shrimp, lobster, crab, steak, sushi?

14. Any dinner available via cabin service free of charge?

15. Which are the bad/good tables to be seated? Any window tables available for 2?

16. Any night food available free of charge?

17. Long time after lunch til dinner so any free of charge food available between that time (1pm-9pm)?

18. Can I change the dinner time (9pm) to earlier if I want to in the middle of the cruise?

19. When you have to come latest on board if you´re staying a night on the port (like we´ll the last night in Venice)?

20. Are the excursions worth of the high prices? I guess they´re cheaper eq ordered from the internet in advance?

21. Any excursions which are worth of trying (ports are Koper, Ravenna, Bari, Dubrovnik)?

22. What is the difference between soda/lemonade? I understood that the lemonade is free of charge?

23. How much is the soda package?

24. Do I have to pay any of the food delivered to your room via room service?

25. I got the rules written in Finnish and it was told that no alcohol is allowed to bring aboard. How about Cola, Fanta etc? Nothing was mentioned about them?

26. Anyway (I´m FINNISH) and will take some alcohol with me so called Rumrunners seems to be a good choice? Have to order them via Internet? For just some liquers nothing else. What is the persantage to be caught?

27. If I preorder the wine package can I have them in to my cabin?

28. It is said that you have to be 2 hours before the ship leaves? Isn´t one hour enough?

29. When is it the best time to eat breakfast/lunch/dinner? When less people (is there any)?

30. Is the ship always on same direction to the port? I mean does my cabin always face the port or sea?

31. Are the ports (I mentioned) before long away from the city centres?

32. Which of the packages (we have 20th Anniversary) are worth of the money?

33. What kind of shows they have aboard? Are they free of charge? How about other things? Minigolf, climbing, skating etc? How much do they cost if they´re not free? What free services there are?

34. Are there shops which sell candies, chips, Fanta etc? Expensive?

35. In some evening do I have to have a tuxedo or is the normal black suite enough?

36. Can I wear shorts/T-shirt on breakfast/lunch?

37. Can I jog on the ship?

Sorry for the long list, feel free to answer any of those! As I said this is our first such a cruise and some of the questions may sound a little bit silly...But thank you in advance! PS. And if there´s something else you want to inform me, please feel free to do that.

Nitola, most of your questions can be answered by visiting the RCI boards here on Cruise Critic and the cruise line's website. As it stands, you have far too many questions listed to make helping you feasible. I'll get you started with a few answers......

Mdr is main dining room.

Meals are served at different venues on the ship. Check the website.

You MUST be on board when they tell you to be on board or you will be denied boarding.

You don't need a tuxedo. A suit will do.

Room service is free but you should tip the person who delivered it.

Voyager is a wonderful ship with a lot to offer. Do some research and you'll find all the answers....... Have a great trip!

I´ve booked my first cruise ever. Mediterranean cruise on Voyager of the Seas on 27th August 2011 from Venice (7 ngts). So I have several questions and I hope I would get some answers from this board. Thank you in advance.

1. What is MDR? Main Dining Room

2. What is DD? Depends on the context, but perhaps "dear daughter"?

3. What is PJ?

4. At what time is the breakfast?Meal times will be posted in a newsletter that you will get daily, but usually somewhere around 6 - 9:30 a.m. Breakfast time.

5. Is it a buffet or served to table? What´s on buffet? You can either go to the main dining room for a sit-down breakfast, or to the buffet (or both. Some folks go to the buffet, grab coffee and a roll and return to their cabin to consume while they're getting ready for breakfast).

I can't tell you what's on the buffet, having never cruised on this line, but you can always go up there, check it out, and decide.

6. Can I have it to my cabin without extra charge? I´ve paid the tips beforehand. So I don´t have to tip? You can order room service -- food to your cabin -- but usually the menu is more limited than what you could get at either the MDR, or at the buffet.

If you DO order room service it is customary to tip the person bringing the food (as they are not part of the tipping pool). Usually $2 or so is sufficient.

8. Where the lunch is served? Buffet or a la carte? Again, you can choose to eat either in the MDR, or at the buffet..or both. And either the buffet or the MDR lunch is part of your cruise fare.

9. Can I have it to cabin? Does the food cost? Food ordered from room service is part of your cruise fare. So no, it doesn't cost. But again, the menu is limited, and it is customary to tip the person delivering it.

10. When is the lunch? This will be posted in your daily newsletter, but generally from 11 to 2 p.m. in the MDR; the buffet is open at least 20 hours a day, sometimes more, depending on the cruise line.

11. Where do you eat lunch when you´re in port? On the ship or somewhere in town? Entirely your choice. If you eat in town, you pay for it. If you come back to the ship, the lunch is part of your cruise fare.

Usually the MDR is NOT open when the ship is in port, but you can eat at the buffet or other places on the ship, depending on what they offer. You should read the web page for your cruise line, where all of this will be spelled out.

12. Can I take any food to my cabin if there´s some buffet available? Yes.

13. Where can I have all inclusive dinner? Without extra cost? Buffet or a la carte. Give me some example of the food available? Shrimp, lobster, crab, steak, sushi? All the meals at the MDR are "inclusive". Everything is included, from appetizer through dessert. Menus vary, and may include what you've listed here (with the exception of sushi, which may be available in other venues on your ship. Check the web page for details, or the board for your line).

14. Any dinner available via cabin service free of charge? See answers above describing room service.

15. Which are the bad/good tables to be seated? Any window tables available for 2? There are hundreds of tables. "Good" and "bad" is subjective. YOu may or may not be able to get a window table for two.

16. Any night food available free of charge? The buffet is open at least 20 hours a day -- and food is always "free" there (part of your cruise fare).

17. Long time after lunch til dinner so any free of charge food available between that time (1pm-9pm)? "Buffet"

18. Can I change the dinner time (9pm) to earlier if I want to in the middle of the cruise? Only on the first day can you change the time of your dinner, and whatever you decide on that day will be set for the rest of your cruise. If you don't want to go to the MDR at that time, then your other option is the buffet -- open all day, well into the night.

19. When you have to come latest on board if you´re staying a night on the port (like we´ll the last night in Venice)? Check with your cruise line. They will tell you what time you need to be back on board -- and you MUST be back on board at or before that time, or you'll be left behind.

20. Are the excursions worth of the high prices? I guess they´re cheaper eq ordered from the internet in advance? Usually excursions bought independently are cheaper than similar excursions offered through the ship, but since you're so new and uninformed about cruising, it might be best for you to go with the ships excursions. Whether they're "worth the price" again is a totally subjective question, unanswerable.

21. Any excursions which are worth of trying (ports are Koper, Ravenna, Bari, Dubrovnik)?

22. What is the difference between soda/lemonade? I understood that the lemonade is free of charge? The difference between soda and lemonade is one is soda, one is lemonade! Lemonade is free, there is a charge for soda (and beer and liquor).

23. How much is the soda package?

24. Do I have to pay any of the food delivered to your room via room service? See answers above.

25. I got the rules written in Finnish and it was told that no alcohol is allowed to bring aboard. How about Cola, Fanta etc? Nothing was mentioned about them? Check with your cruise line

26. Anyway (I´m FINNISH) and will take some alcohol with me so called Rumrunners seems to be a good choice? Have to order them via Internet? For just some liquers nothing else. What is the persantage to be caught?

If you insist on breaking the rules, you'll have to do it without my help.

27. If I preorder the wine package can I have them in to my cabin?

28. It is said that you have to be 2 hours before the ship leaves? Isn´t one hour enough? No. If you're not there 2 hours before the ship leaves, it will leave without you. If you don't mind paying for the cruise and not going, then sure, be there an hour before it leaves and take your chances. Good luck.

29. When is it the best time to eat breakfast/lunch/dinner? When less people (is there any)?

30. Is the ship always on same direction to the port? I mean does my cabin always face the port or sea? No. The ship position can vary from port to port, and on the same cruise a week later the ship can dock in a different position and location.

31. Are the ports (I mentioned) before long away from the city centres?

32. Which of the packages (we have 20th Anniversary) are worth of the money?

33. What kind of shows they have aboard? Are they free of charge? How about other things? Minigolf, climbing, skating etc? How much do they cost if they´re not free? What free services there are? Most of the shows are free. But you have to check with the cruise you'll be on to see whether some of the sports things will cost you.

34. Are there shops which sell candies, chips, Fanta etc? Expensive? There are shops that sell some of this stuff. Yes, they're expensive. I don't know about Fanta -- but you can buy soft drinks on board at the bars.

35. In some evening do I have to have a tuxedo or is the normal black suite enough? The dress code will be spelled out on your ships web page.

36. Can I wear shorts/T-shirt on breakfast/lunch? Generally yes, if you must.

37. Can I jog on the ship? Yes.

Sorry for the long list, feel free to answer any of those! As I said this is our first such a cruise and some of the questions may sound a little bit silly...But thank you in advance! PS. And if there´s something else you want to inform me, please feel free to do that.

You really should go to your ship company web page. ALL this..and more..will be there for you to learn about. And elsewhere on this site there is a board specific to your cruise line, where all of these questions are answered.

1. What is MDR? (main dining room)

2. What is DD? (dear daughter)

3. What is PJ? (Don't know, maybe pajammas/sleepwear?)

4. At what time is the breakfast? (breakfast times varry depending on which place you eat. The buffet usually opens early, like 6 or 7 and has breakfast food until around 10:00ish)

5. Is it a buffet or served to table? What´s on buffet? (the buffet is self serve during all means but you can get a seated breakfast in the dining room during some days)

6. Can I have it to my cabin without extra charge? I´ve paid the tips beforehand. So I don´t have to tip? (there is a limited room service menu available, the only time there is a fee is if there is 1. A specialty drink of alcohol or soda, 2. order is placed after midnight and before 5:00 am. Even without the fee you should still tip the delivery person a few dollars/Euros)

8. Where the lunch is served? Buffet or a la carte? (The buffet and several cafe style places will be open. Hours will vary but the buffet will have the largest selections and longest hours)

9. Can I have it to cabin? Does the food cost? (same as with breakfast, a limited room service menu is available. You can always bring food back to your cabin)

10. When is the lunch? (lunch hours vary, but usually somewhere between 11:00 and 2:30ish)

11. Where do you eat lunch when you´re in port? On the ship or somewhere in town? (This is a personal choice. Other than some ice cream or a quick snack I prefer not to pay for food on shore. I figure I've already paid for the food on the ship so I should eat there is possible.)

12. Can I take any food to my cabin if there´s some buffet available? (Yes)

13. Where can I have all inclusive dinner? Without extra cost? Buffet or a la carte. Give me some example of the food available? Shrimp, lobster, crab, steak, sushi? (There will be plenty of options the most popular free restaurants are the MDR and buffet. Both will have salads, soups, veggies, meat and sea food options. Lobster is usually only served once or twice during a cruise).

14. Any dinner available via cabin service free of charge? (Same as with breakfast and lunch)

15. Which are the bad/good tables to be seated? Any window tables available for 2? (the only "bad" table would probably be next to the door or a wait station, I'm not sure about tables for 2 by a window. Keep in mind that if you eat dinner when it is dark outside you will not be able to see out the window. LOL The lights will reflect off the glass and make it hard to see outside)

16. Any night food available free of charge? (There is usually a 24 hour pizza or cafe somewhere on the ship that you can get for free)

17. Long time after lunch til dinner so any free of charge food available between that time (1pm-9pm)? (Yes, the buffet will be open for most of the day as will a few other places. You won't go hungry.)

18. Can I change the dinner time (9pm) to earlier if I want to in the middle of the cruise? (Probably, but if you want to eat at different times every night you should switch to My Time Dining. This way you can still eat for free in the MDR but you can pick what time you eat every night.)

19. When you have to come latest on board if you´re staying a night on the port (like we´ll the last night in Venice)? (This varies but they will make announcements and there will be signs as you leave the ship what time you must be back. Take that seriously because they will leave you behind.)

20. Are the excursions worth of the high prices? I guess they´re cheaper eq ordered from the internet in advance? (If you do some research you can find better excursions for a lower price if you go through a private company instead of the ship. The ship is getting a cut of the sales which causes a higher per person price. Also, some ports don't need an excursion depending on what you are interested in).

21. Any excursions which are worth of trying (ports are Koper, Ravenna, Bari, Dubrovnik)? (Can't help you here, I've never been)

22. What is the difference between soda/lemonade? I understood that the lemonade is free of charge? (You have to pay for soda, about $2 US, but the lemonade and ice tea are free.)

23. How much is the soda package? (I'm not sure, I've never bought it)

24. Do I have to pay any of the food delivered to your room via room service? (Except for soda and alcohol there should be no fee for roomservice unless it is in the middle of the night. Again, you should still tip a few dollars/Euros in cash for delivery)

25. I got the rules written in Finnish and it was told that no alcohol is allowed to bring aboard. How about Cola, Fanta etc? Nothing was mentioned about them? (You should have no issue bringing it on, but some ports are more strict about this than others.)

26. Anyway (I´m FINNISH) and will take some alcohol with me so called Rumrunners seems to be a good choice? Have to order them via Internet? For just some liquers nothing else. What is the persantage to be caught? (I've never used them, but getting caught varies widely)

27. If I preorder the wine package can I have them in to my cabin? (I'm not sure, never bought it)

28. It is said that you have to be 2 hours before the ship leaves? Isn´t one hour enough? (For the first day you need to be there 2 hours early, or what ever time they tell you. For regular days in port you usually have to be back between 30-60 minutes. They will let you know.)

29. When is it the best time to eat breakfast/lunch/dinner? When less people (is there any)? (This varies depending on where most of the passengers are from. Europeans tend to eat later than Americans. If one venue is crowded go find another spot to eat.)

30. Is the ship always on same direction to the port? I mean does my cabin always face the port or sea? (This may change depending on what direction the ship is travelling or what slot they are assigned at the pier)

31. Are the ports (I mentioned) before long away from the city centres? (Don't know)

32. Which of the packages (we have 20th Anniversary) are worth of the money? (Personally, I think all of their packages are overpriced but only you can decide if it is worth it.)

33. What kind of shows they have aboard? Are they free of charge? How about other things? Minigolf, climbing, skating etc? How much do they cost if they´re not free? What free services there are? (Most activities are free.)

34. Are there shops which sell candies, chips, Fanta etc? Expensive? (Yes, there is a shop that sells snacks and candy and I think they are fairly expensive, but you may not think so.)

35. In some evening do I have to have a tuxedo or is the normal black suite enough? (suit will be find)

36. Can I wear shorts/T-shirt on breakfast/lunch? (yes)

37. Can I jog on the ship? (yes, there is a jogging track to run on)

Wow... That is a long list of questions! :D I've done my best to give you as many answers as possible. My response is in after each of your questions in (). I hope this helps!

April,

One amendment to your answers.... RCI does not allow ANY (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) beverages to be brought onboard for consumption during the cruise. Should you purchase alcohol in port, the bottle will be held until the final night of the cruise. I can't believe I read through this again!!!!!

April,

One amendment to your answers.... RCI does not allow ANY (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) beverages to be brought onboard for consumption during the cruise. Should you purchase alcohol in port, the bottle will be held until the final night of the cruise. I can't believe I read through this again!!!!!

Operafan, I'm getting conflicted information about this topic. I see many posts where passengers are openly carrying water and soft drinks onto the ship without a problem (not even in a bag or suitcase) yet sometimes they are taken away. It seems like the "no beverage" clause is not evenly enforced across all of the ships and seems to be more strictly enforced during spring break or if someone is bringing on a large quantity.

I don't smuggle alcohol (not worth the effort to me) but I'm going to try to bring some water on board my Serenade cruise in June. We'll see. :)

Operafan, I'm getting conflicted information about this topic. I see many posts where passengers are openly carrying water and soft drinks onto the ship without a problem (not even in a bag or suitcase) yet sometimes they are taken away. It seems like the "no beverage" clause is not evenly enforced across all of the ships and seems to be more strictly enforced during spring break or if someone is bringing on a large quantity.

I don't smuggle alcohol (not worth the effort to me) but I'm going to try to bring some water on board my Serenade cruise in June. We'll see. :)

Good luck!! I couldn't believe that policy when I read it.

Most of your questions are about food, so here goes.

All food in the main dining room, buffet and room service are included in your cruise fare. If you order room service between the hours of midnight and 5am, you will receive a service charge. Other times, room service is free. You should tip the person bringing the room service $2 or more.

There are specialty restaurants that are NOT free. They have an extra charge of between $20 and $35 per person. You do NOT have to eat in those restaurants.

You can have breakfast in the main dining room, buffet or room service. The hours are generally between 6:30am to 10:30am, depending on the location. The buffet is open the longest.

Lunch is noon to 1:30 in the main dining room for sea days, but it's not open on port days. Buffet lunch is noon until 2pm.

Dinner depends on what you choose for time and location. If you chose their anytime dining, you can go any time you want. If you chose traditional dining, early seating is 6pm, late seating is 8:30pm. Only you know what you selected as your dining option.

You can get snacks in a shop on board, but no Fanta. The snacks are very expensive. Believe me, you really won't need those as there is tons of food available on the ship. You won't go hungry.

No one can tell you if something is worth it for you. We have no idea how much money you have or how much you're willing to spend. Only you can make those decisions.

If you aren't on the ship on time, they WILL leave you and sail away. There are rules that you must obey and sailing time is one of them. If they say you have to be on board 2 hours before departure, you MUST be ON the ship 2 hours before. NO excuses. If they say you must be back on board 30 minutes, they don't mean 15 minutes, they mean 30 minutes. Again, they will leave you standing on the dock if you're not on board.

The soda package is $5.50 per person, per day, plus a 15% gratuity. Only you know if it's worth it for you. RCI does not allow any beverages to be brought on the ship, not even soda. But, some have tried and succeeded. For me, it's not worth the hassle.

If you smuggle booze, prepared to be caught. All luggage is xray'd before it's brought to your cabin. Security is very good at finding smuggled booze, and they even know how to look for rum runners. If caught, they will either throw it away or keep it until the last day of the cruise. Royal Caribbean has been getting really nasty with smuggled booze.

1. MDR = main dining room, MTD = my time dining

2. DD = dear daughter DH = dear husband (or dumb husband, depends on the circumstances :D )

3. maybe pajamas?

4. you will get the daily schedule at night, this will include when restaurants and buffets open

5. buffet in the buffet, table service in the restaurant

6. the food is free, additional tips expected (just a few dollars each time)

8. see 5.

9. see 6.

10. see 4.

11. you can do either one or both :o

12. yes

13. see 5. If not my time dining, you will be assigned to a restaurant and table number - it will be on your key card

14. see 6.

15. depends on your tablemates, any table can become good or bad

16. see 4.

17. see 4.

18. talk to maitre'd - if space available

19. 2 hours prior to sailing, or the ship leaves without you

20. your money, you decide

21. see 20

22. soda is carbonated, lemonade is flat

23. depends on the cruise line

24. see 6.

25. soda in carry-on may be allowed, read cruise line rules

26. your luggage and carry-on will be x-rayed, and corkage fee charged

27. don't know

28. see 19.

29. whenever hungry

30. no

31. see 27.

32. your wife will be happy with any package (you mean gifts, right?)

33. you will get the daily schedule at night, you will see what is free (bingo is not free, but this won't be indicated)

34. yes and yes, of course!

35. any suit color is fine

36. maybe - in the buffet, yes, in the restaurant - not sure

37. yes, in designated areas

Gosh, I was only checking my patience, and got through ALL questions!! ;)

OK, Europeans wouldn't know the difference between US soda and lemonade.

Soda: carbonated (gas) water with sweet syrop (like Fanta or Coke)

Lemonade: no gas, regular water with lemon juice and sugar

Usually on ships juice in the morning, lemonade for lunch, and tea/coffee all day

Lots of questions and lots of answers. And very helpful too. Thank you. A couple of little questions I still have. Are there any free squeezed juices anywhere? Is the room service menu the same during all the cruise? Or does it vary? And now I understand also the difference between soda/lemonade...We call lemonade all Colas, Sprites etc drinks. Soda is gas water (mainly). It was said on booking conditions "Tips or gratuities on board or ashore (unless paid at the time of booking)" are extra charge. I have paid the tips in advance so I just don´t understand why I have to still pay the tips for the room service? What is the time when you have to be off the ship when the cruise is over? Even the RCCL officer who I asked didn´t know it exactly, said only that in the morning? 8-10?? What is the latest time?

Lots of questions and lots of answers. And very helpful too. Thank you. A couple of little questions I still have. Are there any free squeezed juices anywhere? Is the room service menu the same during all the cruise? Or does it vary? And now I understand also the difference between soda/lemonade...We call lemonade all Colas, Sprites etc drinks. Soda is gas water (mainly). It was said on booking conditions "Tips or gratuities on board or ashore (unless paid at the time of booking)" are extra charge. I have paid the tips in advance so I just don´t understand why I have to still pay the tips for the room service? What is the time when you have to be off the ship when the cruise is over? Even the RCCL officer who I asked didn´t know it exactly, said only that in the morning? 8-10?? What is the latest time?

I don't know that Royal has any fresh squeezed juices. You can get fruit juices in the morning with breakfast but I don't believe they are fresh squeezed.

The gratuities you paid up front cover the standard personnel that serve you; room stewards, assistants, waiters, etc. Room service people are an extra service and should be tipped a few dollars/euro when service is delivered. Also, anything you purchase at a bar will have a gratuity added to the check.

The last morning of the cruise is incredibly hectic. They will be readying the ship for the new passengers and want you off as soon as possible. All passengers should be off by 9:30-10:00 at the latest. No lounging in your cabin. You'll have time for breakfast and that's about it.

Lots of questions and lots of answers. And very helpful too. Thank you. A couple of little questions I still have. Are there any free squeezed juices anywhere? There is free orange juice with breakfast. I don't know if it is fresh squeezed. Some lines offer that, others don't. The lemonade is like orange juice -- lemon juice, water, sugar...but may be made with lemon syrup, not fresh squeezed.

Is the room service menu the same during all the cruise?The room service menu is the same for the entire cruise. Or does it vary? And now I understand also the difference between soda/lemonade...We call lemonade all Colas, Sprites etc drinks. Soda is gas water (mainly).

It was said on booking conditions "Tips or gratuities on board or ashore (unless paid at the time of booking)" are extra charge. If you go on ship-sponsored shore excursions, those people enter into a contract with the ship, and are not ship staff. So the tips that you have pre-paid don't go to them. They will expect a tip from you if you go on their tour. I have paid the tips in advance so I just don´t understand why I have to still pay the tips for the room service? The people that deliver food to your cabin when you order room service are not part of the staff that gets the pre-paid tips. You don't have to tip much -- $1 - $2 for a small order...and many people don't. But it is a nice thing to do: these people interrupt their ordinary job to carry food to you.

What is the time when you have to be off the ship when the cruise is over? Even the RCCL officer who I asked didn´t know it exactly, said only that in the morning? 8-10?? What is the latest time?

Usually the latest time is around 10 a.m. They have to quickly get the ship ready for the next load of passengers who start to come on by 12:30 or so, so they really rush you off in the morning. The earlier you get off the happier they are. They usually start unloading passengers by 8 a.m., sometimes earlier.

I don't know that Royal has any fresh squeezed juices. You can get fruit juices in the morning with breakfast but I don't believe they are fresh squeezed.

RCI has fresh squeezed orange juice available, but you have to request it from a waiter and it will be an additional charge.

Archived