Passport/permanent resident alien question

I am travelling with several friends to greece in 7 weeks. One of them has a nicaraguan passport but is a permanent resident alien here in the US, does anyone know if she will need anything else in order to board or for travelling?

Green Card and passport both in the same name...

If they have the old card without an expiration date they'll be asked to get a new one

This will all happen when coming BACK - not when trying to get on the ship

I am travelling with several friends to greece in 7 weeks. One of them has a nicaraguan passport but is a permanent resident alien here in the US, does anyone know if she will need anything else in order to board or for travelling?

Life Partner had a green card a while ago. The only thing is that it does need to be updated - make sure it's not expired. She will be able to sail with her green card and a photo ID. Tell her to take her nicaraguan passport in case, but usually all they ask for is their green card.

I remember my girlfriend was always nervous about it, but actually it was never a big deal.

The issue is not leaving, it's coming back. The debarkation line for non-US citizens was CRAZYYYY.

Just make sure she brings photo ID (from US - Like a drivers license, etc), green card, and passport (in case). The first two should be sufficient.

Life Partner had a green card a while ago. The only thing is that it does need to be updated - make sure it's not expired. She will be able to sail with her green card and a photo ID. Tell her to take her nicaraguan passport in case, but usually all they ask for is their green card.

I remember my girlfriend was always nervous about it, but actually it was never a big deal.

The issue is not leaving, it's coming back. The debarkation line for non-US citizens was CRAZYYYY.

Just make sure she brings photo ID (from US - Like a drivers license, etc), green card, and passport (in case). The first two should be sufficient.

Passports required now - she should take her passport as well. However, any problems will be upon trying to re-enter the US, not leaving.

Fran in Newfoundland

I am a UK Citizen with GC, and always need to show passport and Green Card/Alien Registration card when leaving and entering. They don't let you board the ship unless you have the correct documents to get back in the US, and they need all the necessary documents to clear customs at any ports.

Never had any issues, although a 'supervisor' always needs to come over and double check documents, probably because they are a little out of the ordinary.

I am a UK Citizen with GC, and always need to show passport and Green Card/Alien Registration card when leaving and entering. They don't let you board the ship unless you have the correct documents to get back in the US, and they need all the necessary documents to clear customs at any ports.

Never had any issues, although a 'supervisor' always needs to come over and double check documents, probably because they are a little out of the ordinary.

Never had to show British passport when returning to the US only perm resident card.

Never had to show British passport when returning to the US only perm resident card.

This is really strange. We have Aussie passports and GC and we always have to show our passports when coming back into the US.

This is really strange. We have Aussie passports and GC and we always have to show our passports when coming back into the US.

I refuse to believe the UK (it's UK, not British) passport wasn't inspected along with the Green Card but regardless, make sure that both are with you and both are valid. I've always needed to show both.

Archived